GRE PSR-800 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotrodder

I just purchased a PSR 800 and I have it working on Forsyth County Georgia. my question is I had the scanner going and also had the online one going here and don't hear the same transmissions. am I missing something in the programming or just don't have it programmed correct. is it just my location verses the location of the online location. another question I tried to set priority's but it just pauses it. I checked the option for priority's
I had scanners back in the pre trunking day's so trying to learn an old dog new trick's aint working to well.
thanks in advance for any help.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Most of the online feeds will have a delay. Some are short delays like maybe 15 seconds.
I've also seen some that took over two minutes before I heard the online feed broadcast what I'd already heard live from my scanners speaker.
A average delay of about one minute is what I've seen in my area on the few feeds I've listened too before.

This delay may be what you are experiencing.
Park your scanner on the same talkgroup or frequency as the online if you can determine what the online feed is really broadcasting and then take a mental note of what you hear from your scanner speaker.
Then sit on the online feed and wait and see if the same broadcast does not come through a minute or more later. Chance are it will if the online feed is broadcasting what they say they are.
I find many online feeds awkward as you often have no idea of what you are listening too. Some do provide text tags if you use Winamp (I think) as your player. That can help a bunch in determining what the feed is really broadcasting.

Also, many online feeds may just be on a different talkgroup or frequency from what your scanner is on at the same moment the transmission occured.

hotrodder

thanks Kruser for your response, I kinda wondered that later. we had satellite tv before then went to cable and before the subscription ended I had the sat on one TV in one room and cable on another same channel and the cable one was almost a minute behind.

this is differently different from the old way for me and ezscan program is not so easy for me either. I try to read and read some more but get lost. I'm trying not to ask to many dumb question and not sound like I wanting to be spoon feed.
thanks again Kruser

scosgt

Also the radio is very sensitive to position and RF interference. Mine gets pretty well zapped if too close to the computer. And moving it less than 1/2" can be the difference in receiving a distant system.
As well, dump that factory antenna. The Radio Shack 800 Mhz seems to work very well.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
Also the radio is very sensitive to position and RF interference. Mine gets pretty well zapped if too close to the computer. And moving it less than 1/2" can be the difference in receiving a distant system.
As well, dump that factory antenna. The Radio Shack 800 Mhz seems to work very well.

You are so right about postion (location) and RF interference and moving the radio as little as 1/2" really can make all the difference. That can be very frustrating if you are trying to monitor a system that is not very active.

troymail

Silent Key

This is system dependent -- for example, most analog systems and conventional channels are received fine and mostly only get interference from very strong signals like cell towers, etc.

On the other hand - we are all experiencing serious issues with newer P25 digital systems - regardless of scanner (GRE, Uniden, etc.).

Check out these threads in the Baltimore and PG area:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...926-new-baltimore-city-system-discussion.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma.../219410-new-baltimore-county-p-25-system.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...4-whats-going-pg.html?highlight=prince+george

http://forums.radioreference.com/ma...untys-p25-system.html?highlight=prince+george

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
My 800 has trouble with noise next to my computer as long as I have a rubber ducky antenna attached. My solution is 50 feet of coax that runs from my GRE out a downstairs window, and in an upstairs window to my bedroom on the second floor where a Jetstream JTB4 vertical sits next to the bed well away from any computers. Thus, no noise problems disturb me at home even though my 800 sits leaning against the computer CPU unit, 5" from the 22" LCD screen.

Of course that's really overkill, but it works. Co-ax is cheap and a decent antenna with a bit of gain attached well away from noise sources can work wonders.

hotrodder

I don't have any problem with it near the computer with a RS 800 Mhz antenna.
I think it was just the delay that was the difference I had

riveter

Premium Subscriber
And if you think about it, that delay makes a lot of sense. The online app is a scanner receiving transmissions, processing them, uploading that information, and then that information gets downloaded to your computer which then plays it as a slightly delayed stream. Altogether that can be a pretty significant lag. Compare that to your 800, and you see the difference when that is just a transmission being directly received by your radio, almost instantaneously processed, and regurgitated through the speaker.

steve888

DEFINITELY get rid of the factory antenna. I bought an Austin Condor antenna for my PSR-800 and I routinely pick up traffic loud and clear a good 18-22 miles away.

ahearn

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna is best. I get one more bar on a distant system than with the stock antenna.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
DEFINITELY get rid of the factory antenna. I bought an Austin Condor antenna for my PSR-800 and I routinely pick up traffic loud and clear a good 18-22 miles away.

Well I routinely get a ham repeater on a mountain 40 miles north of me with several mountains in between at a full five bars with the stock antenna.

At home I use a Jetstream triband vertical in the upstairs bedroom with fifty feet of co-ax running to the scanner, and of course I do get more. On that same repeater I have to use the attenuation button to get the best audio quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.