GRE PSR500 USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

miata54

Premium Subscriber
My Win 10-64 PC will not recognize my OEM PSR500 USB cable indicating that no drivers have been installed. Windows tells me that there is no COM port assigned to the cable. I have searched the numerous posts on this subject but can not find a solution. This PC is about a year old and replaced a previous Win 10-64 PC where I did not experience this problem. I was able to Upload a configuration BIN file to the scanner without a problem using this same cable. Checking in Device Mgr, there is no 'Ports" header to check COM and LPT assignments. I have downloaded the latest Firmware from GRECOM America but can not get past step2 which is looking for an assigned port for the cable. I have placed the ftd2xx dll file in both Windows System32 and System WOW64 folders My current Windows update is 2004. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

ScannerSK

Have you tried using the cable plugged into different USB ports on the same computer? If the computer is misrecognizing the cable, it may show up under something other than ports in Device Manager. Does the computer recognize other things such as thumb drives plugged into those same USB ports? I imagine the first step is to get your computer to recognize something is plugged into the port. Sometimes a simple reboot helps.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Make sure you are plugged into the PC/IF jack on the scanner, not the headphone jack. If your cable has a mono adapter, remove it.

trp2525

My Win 10-64 PC will not recognize my OEM PSR500 USB cable indicating that no drivers have been installed. Windows tells me that there is no COM port assigned to the cable...
If you haven't done so already, you might want to try loading the latest FTDI D2XX chip driver for Windows 10 64-bit (driver version 2.12.36.1 with a release date of 05-18-2021) which you can download from the FTDI website here: D2XX Drivers - FTDI

Here are the direct links to the setup executable, Release Notes and Installation Guides for that latest FTDI D2XX chip driver for Windows 10 64-bit (driver version 2.12.36.1 with a release date of 05-18-2021).

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Here's the procedure I use. Start with the cable not plugged into anything. Open Device Manager. Plug the cable into a USB port. You should see Device Manager recognize an unknown device. If you don't, try scanning for new hardware. If that doesn't work, the cable has an issue.

Assuming you see the unknown device, select it and navigate to Update Driver. Point it to one of those FTDI drivers indicated in post 4. Once that's installed, you should see the cable listed under Ports, with a COM assignment.

trp2525

As an addendum to my post #4 above, I've attached the driver installation instructions for the Radio Shack 20-546 USB scanner programming cable which is the same as your GRE OEM USB cable. Use the setup executable file for Windows 10 64-bit that I linked in post #4 above instead of the CDM2060.exe file referenced in step 1 of the Radio Shack driver installation instructions. (Note that the linked setup executable file is a zip file and must be unzipped first to get to the actual exe file.)

Attachments

• RadioShack_20546_USB_Cable_Manual.pdf
    92.8 KB · Views: 16

miata54

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for your responses. TRP2525's suggestions did the trick. I downloaded the driver package, installed it, my PC assigned a COM port and now I can upload my BIN file to the scanner. Back in operation.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.