Gre Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
i HAVE A pro 96 which is ok but I'm not in love with it. I'm adding a 2nd radio and was considering the gre handheld instead of another pro 96. Would this be a smart decision?

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
mlevin312 said:
i HAVE A pro 96 which is ok but I'm not in love with it. I'm adding a 2nd radio and was considering the gre handheld instead of another pro 96. Would this be a smart decision?
You didn't say what you're listening to, but IMO the short answer is yes, get the PSR 500. The long answer is really much more complicated and I would suggest that you spend some time searching and reading on this site. There have been some pro and con comparisons made for these scanners in several threads.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
How about buying my two PRO-96's so I can get another PSR500? <g>

73/Allen (N4JRI)

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting ready to purchase a PSR 500 from scanner master. Does anyone know if the unit comes with a power cord since it's not listed on site? Also will the pro 96 power cords work on the PSR 500?

DonS

mlevin312 said:
I'm getting ready to purchase a PSR 500 from scanner master. Does anyone know if the unit comes with a power cord since it's not listed on site? Also will the pro 96 power cords work on the PSR 500?
The PSR-500 comes with the A/C adapter ("wall wart") and the GRE USB programming cable.

The PRO-96 A/C adapter will work with the PSR-500 (when my PSR-500 is in the garage, I use an adapter that I've been using for the PRO-93/95/96/97 - it's a "Sony AC-T37" that came from an old Sony cordless phone).

Landman

Yeah, Don's right. I have a collection of wall warts from various devices like cordless phones and such that don't work anymore. I threw away the devices but kept the wall warts. Just check the voltage, milliamps, and polarity and if they match, go for it. Remember the milliamps don't need to match exactly but the number has to be at least the same or higher as the one on the wall wart that came with the scanner. The device will simply draw the amount of current that it needs. Sometimes you can mix and match by cutting the connector off one wall wart and splicing it to another to get the correct connector.

DonS

Landman said:
Just check the voltage, milliamps, and polarity and if they match, go for it. Remember the milliamps don't need to match exactly but the number has to be at least the same or higher as the one on the wall wart that came with the scanner.
Actually, you may be able to get away with an "underpowered" wall wart, if you don't charge the batteries in the scanner. That would shave about 150 mA off the current requirement. For example, the Sony adapter I'm using is only "rated" for 300 mA at 9VDC. It doesn't get warm, and the scanner indicates 9.8 V on the "Battery Info" page, with the backlights on.

Last edited:

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Ghost4658 said:
why would someone have 2 pro-96 radios?

I dunno, Ghost. Your tagline says that you have a PRO97 and a PRO2055 which are essentially the same radio. Think of me as having a portable and a mobile--except that my mobile sits in a cupholder and uses its attached antenna. <g>

On a more serious note, I simply like to hunt for new frequencies and TG's and having more than one radio comes in pretty handy. Sometimes I use a spare to devote to Pro96Com, which makes the radio unavailable for listening. Sometimes I might put a voice recorder on a mystery TG to find out what it is. It's a lot easier to tie up a radio with activities like this when you still have one to listen to...and in an area saturated with digital trunking, my older radios aren't good for much but planes, boats & trains.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.