GRE Scanners in Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
How are these handling the rebanded sites?
I have seen no issues following sites using the band plan that I have (The same one in the latest version of Win500. The only real issue are the sensitivity of the receiver. Being that is is quite sensitive it tends to get overloaded by cell sites and there is a bunch of noise that gets in. I have one spot that I go for meetings monthly and I totally loose the control channel even with Attenuation on. But I am within 50 ft of a large cell site. Also along Bangerter highway at 3500 and 4500 south I tend to have problems with Cell interference.

Can you put to TYS in one scan list? (I would love a single Fire list with all of VECC and SLC fire)
YES! This is a great ability. The GRE methodology is much like that of commercial radios so individual items can be associated with lists regardless of what system they are on. In addition the scanner transitions between systems very quickly.

Has anyone considered setting up a GRE 500 with UCAN online with that really cool monitoring tool from don?
Thought about it yes. Done anything with it no. I was looking at this feature thinking "huh, that is neat." but I have done nothing more then that. I really need to try and set it up...

Utah_Viper

My first real question....

Now that I have the Pro-106. If I wanted to put in multiple UCAN sites do I create a new TYS for each? or do I add the CC of each to the 1 UCAN TYS?
Second question... Is there a way to have the Scanlist Title show while scanning?

Last edited:

qlajlu

Silent Key

Now that I have the Pro-106. If I wanted to put in multiple UCAN sites do I create a new TYS for each? or do I add the CC of each to the 1 UCAN TYS?
Second question... Is there a way to have the Scanlist Title show while scanning?
Second Question: Personally I'm not aware of a way to display the scan list name. I have my scan lists representing geographical areas and then assigned the TGs according to MY definition of those geographical areas (Scan list 1 is Salt Lake County, scan list 2 is Davis County, etc. up to 7 scan lists). I also made a "cheat-sheet" to tell me which scan list covers which area, and there are those TGs that are members of more than one list such as LZ1 and LZ2. By clicking a number on the scanner's number pad, I can add or remove a scan list (geographical area) from the active scan. Of course I'm using a PSR-600 in a stationary environment, so looking at a cheat-sheet is not a big deal, but for someone like you having a handheld unit, you might have to memorize which list is which area or be a little imaginative in carrying a cheat-sheet if you did it the same way.

First Question: I'm not sure I understand your question so you may have to be a little more descriptive, but on multiple UCAN sites, I have several in one TSYS. Sites 001 Weber County, 002 Davis County, 003 Salt Lake County, 004 Utah County, 007 Mt. Ogden, and 011 Nelson Peak are all in one TSYS and as the scanner goes through the CCs it will give me traffic on ANY TG in my list that has/is affiliated with that Site. I have mine set to sample each Site on each scan pass. Here again, with you being mobile, you may want to change these settings.

ccardall

Hopefully I am reading your question right regarding the scan list. I am assuming your using Win 500. You can name your scan list anything you want. If you click on the TSYS Objects tab it will bring up your scan list. If you double click at the top under alpha tag, you can type whatever you want in here. It will also show on your scanner when you are scanning. You can also edit your scan list by doing the same thing. Hope this helps.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Hopefully I am reading your question right regarding the scan list. I am assuming your using Win 500. You can name your scan list anything you want. If you click on the TSYS Objects tab it will bring up your scan list. If you double click at the top under alpha tag, you can type whatever you want in here. It will also show on your scanner when you are scanning. You can also edit your scan list by doing the same thing. Hope this helps.
ccardall, I believe what you are referring to is the System alpha tag.

Utah_Viper

That set each TG name, which does show. What i am referring too is under the 'General' Tab you can type a name for each scanlist ie; SL Co. Police, Fire, Event/Ops... and so on. I want to see that name when scanning so I know which scan lists is currently active. I sometimes like to close some lists down to limit activity, but don't want to memorize what each list is.

ccardall

I took me a few minutes to realize what you were referring too. (sometimes the light upstairs goes dim and it takes a while for it to brighten back up) I wish I could be more help, but I am still learning my 106 From what I have read, these scanners will do everything but fly a plane, and they could probably do that. LOL Sar far I have only set 2 scan list, one for Utah County and one for Salt Lake County, so it's somewhat easy for me to remember which is which.

Rolfman

Viper I don't think there is a way to get that to display, it is just used as a filter for you objects in the TSYS. (Drop down meun on TSYS Objects tab)

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin

A voice from the wilderness to the north.

First question. I would suggest you try it both ways and see which one works best. When I have traveled through SLC with my PSR 500, I have programed all the CCs in one TSYS and used the Roam setting. That seemed to work pretty well for traveling, but I would not put a lot of CCs in one TSYS as it takes a long time to scan if you use the scan all cc's option. If you program one or two sites per TSYS, you can turn on/off individual site(s) as you want. That has advantages too.

I haven't tried my 500 since UCAN rebanding has been implemented, but it worked fine before.

When I monitor the Idaho IIMARS system from home I have used both methods and I am not sure which way I like most. I am still playing with different configurations and I've had my 500 since they first came out.

Use the v folders. The nice thing about v folders is you can set up multiple configurations and easily switch between them to test them out. As I said before I think a lot is personal preference, so I would try various ways. The GRE made scanners give you a lot of options.

Second question. I have not found a way to name scanlists like you can with the Unidens. But I think it has been discussed before on the scanner specific forums for the 106/500.

Enjoy your 106.

Dave

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Viper I don't think there is a way to get that to display, it is just used as a filter for you objects in the TSYS. (Drop down meun on TSYS Objects tab)

I can only speak for the PSR/500 and the Scan List name is only shown on the scanner when you enable/disable that scan list. While scanning it shows the system name.

I think the thought here was that if I am scanning multiple Scan Lists, what should the scanner display? By showing the system you show a lot less. If you are scanning conventional frequencies, it is nothing but a blur at the bottom as it shows each frequency name.

N7YUO

Viper, since you are a newbie with Object Oriented Scanning, Let me try to simplify things.
1. Like qlajlu, I have scanlists set up by geographical area, but we differ in how we set them up.
2. My scanlists are basically the counties (kinda) Here is how I set mine up:
Scanlist 1 is SLCo Sheriff TGRPs along with all theRegionals, Event, Ops, LZ, Fire, etc. TSYS: SL Simul.
Scanlist 2 is SLC TGRPs and LZs, & Regionals
Scanlist 3 is all of the VECC dispatched PD & FD in SL County and some Murray Conventionals.
I also have all the common TGRPs. TSYS is SL Simul
Scanlist 4 is Davis County TGRPs, TSYS is Davis Simul
Scanlist 5 is Hill AFB TGRPs, TSYS is HAFB, UT Military, or whatever (System 6227)
Scanlist 6 is Weber County TGRPs, TSYS is Weber Simul
Scanlist 7 is Box Elder Co, Conventionals at this time. Cal Mtn with a single wild card TGRP
Scanlist 8 Covers Tooele, Summit & Wasatch Counties. Every TSYS in those counties.
Scanlist 9 is Utah County TGRPs, TSYS is Utah Co Simul
Scanlitst 10 not yet used
Scanlist 11 is Cache Co. Still conventional but will change
Scanlist 12 is Idaho up to Pocatello. 460 MHz & 700 MHz p25

When I see DAVIS SIMUL on the display, I know Scanlist 4 is active.
When I see SL SIMUL, I could have either the Sheriff, or VECC.
a look at the display shows a 1 or a 3.

Somewhere in these forums I read: The majority of radio traffic in an area will always be carried on the SIMULcast site. The other sites (IR Sites) work this way:
When a mobile travels out of range of the Simul site, the mobile 'affiliates' wit an IR site.
Only when someone is affiliated with that site, will you hear traffic.
Your best bet is to monitor the Simul sites.

Utah_Viper

Here is how I have set up my Pro-106 using Win500. So far it seems to be working great! The only problem is I live in a bit of a RF noisy area so have to turn the ATT on most the time.

Scan List
1- VECC / SLC Fire
2- WVC / SSL
3- UHP (Trunk, Conv.)
4- SLCo. S.O.
5- SJdn / Sandy
6- WJdn / Midvale / Murray
7- Summit / Wasatch
8- Salt Lake City
9- Airport
10- Events / Ops / Regional
11- Conventional Pub Saf
12- Conventional Business
13- Railroad / UTA
14- (Blank)
15- UDOT / 8014 Trunk
16- Wilcards
17- Ski Resorts
18- Fed System
19- *Emergency* (High priority TGs)
20- All UCAN

I may add Tooele to list 7. May merger 17 onto 12 then make it Davis / Weber / Utah. Thinking of 14 becoming Hospital / Medical

Attachments

• Current.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.