GRE Super Amplifier and the PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up one of the GRE Super Amplifiers to try to improve my reception of distant systems (I live about 60 miles north of Seattle)

Overall I was impressed with the improved reception this little addition can provide. I don't know how to embed a youtube video in these forums, here is a link to my video review of the Super Amp:

GRE Super Amplifier Review- Improve Scanner Reception - YouTube

For 50 bucks it's a quick fix for sketchy reception issues in outlying areas. I wish the battery was easier to replace- the design makes it a bit of a pain for quick changeout of the 9v battery.

Anyhow checkout my vid if you want to see head to head PSR-800 tests with/without the super amp.

Decent site you have made there.
Sucks radio shack does not have them anymore.
Looking at the hardware specs from 2007, it looks like it does not do anything that ones sound card cant do when connected to pc ;) but its worth picking up to tinker nevertheless I guess.

Also made decent windows mobile program for use with connecting to pda in field.
Has better dsd, dvd, includes opensky, and provoice.
Will send beta copy in next couple weeks in new thread after tackling any possible patent infringements for sale/distributation.

Hmm, not sure I see how a sound card could replicate the signal strength improvement I get with this amp. It's made listening to distant systems possible with out the constant dropouts.

Decent site you have made there.
Sucks radio shack does not have them anymore.
Looking at the hardware specs from 2007, it looks like it does not do anything that ones sound card cant do when connected to pc ;) but its worth picking up to tinker nevertheless I guess.

Also made decent windows mobile program for use with connecting to pda in field.
Has better dsd, dvd, includes opensky, and provoice.
Will send beta copy in next couple weeks in new thread after tackling any possible patent infringements for sale/distributation.

woodpecker

Those amps are fairly useless becuase their noise figure will higher than first amp in the receiver.

If you want to hear distant signals use a base antenna with a good (<1db noise figure) amplifier mounted at the mast head.

I could not see any real difference in your video

You can see the difference in the signal strength meter, and I guess if it was in stereo it might be possible to noticed the dropouts that the non-amped 800 was experiencing. The quality of both the Seattle and Boeing system are dramatically improved, to the point where I can actually listen to ongoing communications without constant static or dropouts.

Those amps are fairly useless becuase their noise figure will higher than first amp in the receiver.

If you want to hear distant signals use a base antenna with a good (<1db noise figure) amplifier mounted at the mast head.

Well obviously it's not a replacement for a base antenna, and I never suggested it would be- it's a quick easy fix for picking up distant system, far from "useless". Works great in my experience and I recommend it for those who just want to boost their handheld reception. But no, it's not a substitute for a yagi beam antenna.

safetyobc

Looks like it was working very well. However, I don't want that thing on top of my radio. But, on a base/mobile radio, it may work great!

digitalanalog

This is kind of a topic I was playing around with recently, so here's my side of the coin.

I have the base model (3001), i also am monitoring with 10 scanners and I am using 5 antennas.
Since these amps are well known for blowing the front off of most scanners, I decided to spend about 3 hours and do some testing, and the results are as i figured they would be.

Certain antennas play nicer with certain scanners and certain scanners play better with the amp, so by swapping the antennas and the scanners and putting the amp in the mix as well, I was able to find the Amp - Antenna - Scanner combination that works very very well and has pulled signals 35 miles away that None of my antennas hooked to any of my scanners was capable of pulling in the signal.

End result, They do work but they do not always work they way you want them to, and if you don't have 10 scanners and 5 antennas to play with, you will have to POKE and HOPE that it does not overload the front end.....

These amps for what they are...........do work..........

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Well, digitalanalog,what did you find to work the best with the amp without overload? And I guess different locations will work differently. I see the video was working with an analog 800 trunked system. So what about p25 transmissions? And what about improving reception in the Uhf range?

digitalanalog

My best combo ended up being a Centerfire 3 element yagi - Pro-2032 with Amp gain at 50% 10db.

VHF Yagi / Beams | Centerfire Antenna
150-156MHz (version)
I have had this about 3-4 years and for as small as it is, it works great and receives up to 160MHz
(i monitor some 158MHz stations with this and it works very well)

I do not monitor 800MHz anything
All Analog all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.