GRE technical support contact emails / number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

Does anyone have a technical support contact for GRE.

Someone who know PSR-500 well!

Thanks!

dizwiz

thanks.

I was hoping someone had some internal email address of an employee there that is known to be helpful with highly technical information.

dizwiz

Im trying to find out if the PSR-500 can made to stop identify the status bit of a communication as being 'encrypted' and thus skipping over it. This is an issue on OH MARCS system (mixed analog control channel / digital coice). It will not stop on an encrypted comms and I therefore do not know one is occurring unless I manually monitor the voice channels in conventional mode. Of course, then I wont see the talkgroup ID of the encrypted comm.

This frustrates me because my BC-296d stopped on all OHIO MARCS encrypted comms. It showed the talkgroup ID, along with the unintelligible R2D2 voice. Which is fine. I would then hit the lockout button.

But at least I 'knew' an encrypted comm was occurring and 'who' was doing it.

Now, I have heard that on full digital (9600 baud control channel and digital voice), the PSR-500 will, in fact, stop on an encyrpted comm and show you talkgroup ID, radio ID, etc. - along with R2D2 voice. However, the system Im monitoring is not that way.

Im afraid if I asked this question to GRE customer service, that I would get misunderstood or something that I was looking to break encryption. That is not at all what Im looking to do.

Disclaimer: I know it is illegal/ impossible to decode an encrypted comm and thats not what im seeking to do. Im trying to get my PSR-500 to do the same thing that my 'older' BC-296D does.

mikey60

There are no settings in the PSR-500 to do what you want. The PSR-500 will always skip over encrypted transmissions if the first radio to grab the frequency is encrypted. This is true even if the other users on the talkgroup are not encrypted.

Mike

dizwiz

There are no settings in the PSR-500 to do what you want. The PSR-500 will always skip over encrypted transmissions if the first radio to grab the frequency is encrypted. This is true even if the other users on the talkgroup are not encrypted.

Mike

yes, I know that.

But I imagine someone who knows the firmware well, knows exactly what I want to do.

its probably just as simply as removing a line of code, or something.

Its just they probably wont be 'willing' to do it, because then there would be a bazillion other people looking for other custom requests.

does anyone here 'edit' the source code for the psr-500? Is there a way to do it?

Also! Does the new psr-800 have this same limitation? (or benefit - depends on who you talk to)

Last edited:

sopranosno1

i wish my psr-600 would show encrypted talk groups. i think the psr-800 does what youre looking for.

DonS

does anyone here 'edit' the source code for the psr-500?

:cool:

The PSR-500 will skip any transmission when it can determine that the transmission is encrypted. For Mot 3600 systems, it uses the status bits to make that determination.

There is no way to make the PSR-500 "unmute" on such transmissions, if it determines that it's encrypted.

dizwiz

:cool:

The PSR-500 will skip any transmission when it can determine that the transmission is encrypted. For Mot 3600 systems, it uses the status bits to make that determination.

There is no way to make the PSR-500 "unmute" on such transmissions, if it determines that it's encrypted.

I would think there has to be. Someone knows how to delete that line of code in the source code.

Does the PSR-800 have this same limitation?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The PSR-800 will do what you want and even has various different options for ENC...

TONE (sound a tone to let you know an encrypted talkgroup is active - user selectable level for the tone as well)
NOISE (hear the encryption noise)
SILENT

Last edited:

dizwiz

The PSR-800 will do what you want and even has various different options for ENC...

TONE (sound a tone to let you know an encrypted talkgroup is active - user selectable level for the tone as well)
NOISE (hear the encryption noise)
SILENT

Neat!

Are these encryption trunking options for trunked systems with Motorola analog 3600 bps control channels and digital P25/ P16 voice?

Or just for Motorola fully digital control channel / digital voice P25 systems (with digital 9600 bps control channels? )

From what Ive been told my PSR-500 will stop on encrypted talkgroup IDs, show the TG ID, radio ID, site #/freq, etc. on fully digital systems. ...(digital CC/ digital voice). .

Just not on mixed analog CC/ digital voice systems where it can read the status bit and determine if its encrypted or not.

Luck would have it a mixed system is the one I monitor....Ohio MARCS is the system.

mikey60

Those are on P25 and Conventional systems only. Motorola 3600bps systems operate the same way they do in the PSR-500, the scanner doesn't switch to that talkgroup if it's encrypted.

Mike

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Odd. I routinely hear encrypted data come across a Washtenaw TG. I have the TG in the system, in case there are some non-encrypted comms, and hear the data chirps when they talk.

I guess this means that flag is not set, when I hear those comms?

mikey60

Washtenaw is on a P25 trunked system (MPSCS), not a Motorola 3600 System. It's the control channel type that will determine if you hear the encrypted talkgroup or not...

Mike

dizwiz

Washtenaw is on a P25 trunked system (MPSCS), not a Motorola 3600 System. It's the control channel type that will determine if you hear the encrypted talkgroup or not...

Mike

Mike,

So even psr800, won't stop on an encrypted transmission of an analog 3600 bps control channel / digital voice system (even if set to) ?

I want to know because I asked this question before buying the psr500 and everyone said it would still stop on the encrypted transmission, give me talkgroup id, id hear r2d2. Of course I wasn't clear that it was a mixed analog control channel / digital voice system I was monitoring.

mikey60

Correct. MARCS uses a 3600bps Motorola control channel, and the 800 will not switch to a talkgroup where the first user to capture a trunked channel transmits with encryption turned on just like the PSR-500.

I would think if you took a poll, a very high percentage would prefer it that way. I know I would. If it was easy to do on a P25 system like the MPSCS, I'd love to see it there too. But that's not so easy.

Mike

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I would think if you took a poll, a very high percentage would prefer it that way.

Only if it is encrypted all the time. If one side of the comm is in the clear, I want to be able to hear it. The busy signal or silence is OK for encrypted on MPSCS using the 800(although I'd still like to hear something other than silence or a telephone busy signal).

Status
Not open for further replies.