• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

GRE USB Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I bought the USB cable from GRE when it first came out but never used it to program my Pro96. Today I wanted to make some changes to the program and decided to try the USB cable instead of the serial cable.

The GRE cable, 30-3290 model, comes with a CD with drivers, but when I plugged the cable into my computer I got the dong and bar that said new device and then it said ready to use. I didn't have to load any drivers and it works like a champ. It is really cool as it has green light that blinks while loading to scanner and a red light that blinks when the computer is receiving information (could be vice versa I didn't write it down).

This is a super cable and sure beats buying a converter from USB to serial and then a serial cable. GRE staying way ahead.

VintageJon

Yeah, you're right! I got the same thing and bought WIN96 and donated to the RR. Couldn't get any better- all the freqs with alpha tags.

Made so much more sense of the APCO95 in Central Texas now that my Pro96 is no longer showing mystery tags.

As I get time I'll expand it to the LCRA EDACS as this is OK but I think I can improve to Alpha Tags with the resources available.

Have yet to get down to San Antonio to see what improvements I have in recognoizing
transmissions from various Bases down there and MilAir. (OK, I know the general-belief is that a Pro96 sucks for MilAir, but I have to see. Oh, packing a Pro91 with same freqs for
MilAir so I can compare...)

73's,
Jon

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A PRO91 for milair?? Yechh - get something that can actually work there - you'll be better off, far and away.

Unfortunately the bottom line is an expensive one - you want digital and milair? Uniden.

73s Mike

n4voxgill

Silent Key
I keep saying that I sure am glad my Pro95 and 2096 can't read, because they sit here and pick up the milair. I guess they just don't know any better. Gill

scnnr

oktex88 said:
What are alpha tags?
The easiest way to explain a Alpha tag is to give a frequency or Talk Group a name .

For example say your Police Dept. ch 1 is on frequency 155.550 MHz then you would alpah tag it with the name of Police CH 1

A talk Group is basically the same as being a channel. say tg 16048 then you would name it Police channel 1 for that TG OF 16048

Here is a snapshot of some exmaples

Last edited:

oktex88

Ah ok! So alpha means alphabetical tag. Grand Forks? I thought about going to UND for Air Traffic Control. Too cold though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.