GRE versus Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagman007

I live in Ontario, Canada near Georgian Bay, out in the country.
I am comparing the GRE PSR-800 against the Uniden BCD-396XT.
Anybody have experience with both, and a preference?
Would the base model in each have any advantages i.e. power, range, options?

troymail

Silent Key

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
800 vs 396

I have had both for over a year, and the 800 is my choice. I find the programming and V Scan folders much easier to use than the startup key/group key system.of the Uniden. I like the 396 size, but that has nothing to do with ease of use or performance. Another plus on the 800 is the multicolor led. It makes it easy to identify what you are hearing if you miss part of the transmission or have multiple systems in a V scan folder. You can have a single color or alternating colors in the flashing mode with almost limitless possibilities.

N8IAA

There is no base model for the 800. GRE didn't get a chance to manufacture the 900.
Unsure of what you mean as options? Antennas, speakers?
I have both the 396 and the 800. My 396 is a mobile, take with me scanner. The 800 stays at home in the shack as a base unit. The 396 lends itself to easier operation in the mobile.
Larry

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My experience with the PSR800 is that I don't get an hour out of the batteries, on average, scanning a bunch of conventional channels, one Motorola trunk system, and one P25 trunk system. These are the supposed "uber" batteries, Sanyo Eneloops, charged in a Maha/Powerex charger. My 396XT scanning the same stuff gets well over 24 hours on the same batteries - technically less batteries, as the Uniden uses 3 cells while the GRE uses 4.

The GRE has some features that are nice, like radio and TG IDs on conventional P25 channels without having to program silly "one-frequency trunk" systems like the 396 needs. The GRE would appear to handle multi-site trunking better too (sampling control channels and tuning the strongest, which is similar to how trunking radios do it; the Uniden radio tries to tune any CC unlocked/in range regardless of its relative signal strength). Some people find the GRE's method of using "scan lists" more favorable than the Uniden "system/group/channel" theory. In the GRE, you could have a scan list called "Fire Dispatch" and have conventional frequencies and talkgroups from several different trunk systems in that scan list, and listen to them all at the same time. In the Uniden, your top-level definition is a system, i.e. a large group of conventional channels, or a single trunk system, etc. Two different philosophies on how to categorize what you want to hear. The PSR-800 has the ability to record channels to a microSD card, and has the full RadioReference database onboard (so long as you continue to update it with the included software).

Scanners are not really going to have any improved range or "power" between their base and handheld versions other than the fact that the base one is generally in a stable location and may have a better antenna on it. Speaking of antennas, my current favorite is the Diamond RH-789/SRH-789 (URL links to the product page on Universal Radio). The SRH version has an SMA connector, good for the modern Uniden radios (396/996, HP, etc); the RH version has a traditional BNC connector, which will fit the PSR-800. The antenna can telescope out and "tune" to the desired frequency band, and has a 90° hinge just above the connector, so you could use it on a HomePatrol or base station scanner with the antenna pointing straight up and down. They have excellent range (I can pick up a P25 control channel from >30 miles away with my 396XT with it).

For you, with the Ontario Fleetnet system and a large amount of conventional and some P25, it all boils down to which scanner do you like better. There's nothing really in your region that precludes you from using one radio over the other. The only thing that might contradict that statement is the introduction of more P25 Phase II (TDMA) systems. IIRC, the Metrolinx (ex GO Transit) system runs some TDMA channels. The PSR-800 is the only radio on the market right now that will handle TDMA. Rumors and speculation imply that the next scanner that Uniden announces will have to support TDMA to remain relevant, but no hard confirmation has been given yet.

Last but not least, with GRE's implosion and ultimate buyout by another company, no one is making PSR-800s any more, and people have panic-bought just about every one left. If you find anyone willing to part with one, you will have to divorce yourself from a large sum of money for it, most likely.

jackj

Jay, if you are only getting an hour or less on each charge with enloops in your 800 then you don't have your 800's fuel gauge programed properly. There are several threads on RR regarding that subject. But you will NOT get 24 hrs out of a charge on the 800, it does eat batteries.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've seen the threads and done their suggested actions. Unless the scanner shuts itself off based on the level of the "fuel gauge" vs the actual battery capacity, I don't think it's "fuel gauge" related.

I used to have the backlight on and recording enabled for all channels and the maximum battery life could be measured in minutes. The "gauge" would start with full capacity, decrease to about 75% within 10 minutes, and then the low battery four-beep stutter tone would begin; within about 1 to 2 minutes after that, the scanner would power off.

Changing to not having the backlight on at all (even though it makes it nigh-impossible to read the display regardless of contrast level) and putting record on only a few select channels increased battery life to at most an hour as described above. Still, the "gauge" doesn't behave in a linear fashion - it's good for a brief few moments at startup, decreases steadily to about the 75% level, and then goes into low battery alert as described in this post.

My "gauge" settings are as described in one of the many threads on the topic. I don't know where the scanner is right now (I don't use it except when it's plugged in, and rarely at that) and I'm not near the "E-Z Scan" software - which is another reason I don't use it; my scanner use involves using custom loaded data and it's excruciating to try to put it into the ironically named "E-Z Scan".

JoeyC

I rarely use my 800 as I find the interface annoyingly cumbersome.

The EZ Scan software is anything but easy and is another reason the 800 gets pushed to the side when listening with a handheld. I have tinkered with it a lot to get it to where I can actually use it the way I like (turn on and off different services quickly/easily and frequently) but it is no where as convenient as using the 396 quickkey method.

Really the only time I turn it on is when I am listening to something interesting and I have to leave for work or somewhere that I cannot continue to scan. The recording feature is a nice perk and just about the only perk I can think of in the 800 besides the fact that it is the only current scanner that will work with the PG County MD system which I like listening to when I am there albeit with crappy performance.

Having the entire database in the scanner I don't find as exciting as it initially sounds as I have no problem spending a few minutes preparing a scanner for a distant location. Perhaps the fact that I don't use the 800 as my go-to scanner waters down this feature for me.

The start-up time for the 800 is like 10 times as long as startup on any scanner I have ever owned. Not a big deal but reminds some of us older folks of days when the TV and radios had to warm up before they worked.

As far as the battery goes, I have noticed that the 800 goes through a battery charge quicker than other scanners. I have made some adjustments to the indicator settings and have had better results but am not sure if they are optimal yet. I just put a freshly charged set of Eneloops in and will see how long until the batteries go dead.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not sure what everyone is doing that is causing the batteries to last such short periods of time -- I get hours and hours out of my Eneloops and always have a 2nd set on charge. Admittedly, I don't have the backlight on (unless the channel is active), I don't have the volume cranked high, and the radio isn't "talking" constantly (I rarely listen to "chatty" police talkgroups/channels). However, I do have all talkgroups set to record and ccdump logs running constantly.

Two of the three 800's I'm using right now run as "base" units and are always on house power so no battery issues there.

Batteries aside, as I responded earlier, the user needs to decide for himself what features and functionality he needs. I like having the X2 and Phase 2 capability in my PSR800s since my state system is Phase 2 and PG is nearby and is X2. There is no current Uniden that does either one.

Having said that -- reception with almost any scanner on all new P25 systems is difficult at best.

Given all of this - to include the fact that PSR800's are now hard to find -- and very expensive - you may want to consider just holding off and see what's around the corner with the new Uniden that is to be announced on November 16th... although some believe this means that radio won't be ready for sale until early Spring 2014.

Even further out is any "new" offering that might be made by Whistler who just bought the rights to GRE's products --

I'm eagerly awaiting any/all new digital/P25 product releases - but only plan to buy if it is reported by real users that the well known digital simulcast issues have been overcome and the radio can do X2 and Phase 2 P25.

Last edited:

jackj

The PSR-800 does eat batteries like there's no tomorrow. But if you are only getting <> 1 hr then you have a problem. Either you aren't fully charging your batteries, your scanner has a problem and is drawing way too much current or your batteries are bad. You should be getting around 8-10 hrs per charge using good cells that have been fully charged. Good luck finding someone to service it if you determine that the problem is a fault in the scanner.

IowaGuy1603

The PSR-800 does eat batteries like there's no tomorrow. But if you are only getting <> 1 hr then you have a problem. Either you aren't fully charging your batteries, your scanner has a problem and is drawing way too much current or your batteries are bad. You should be getting around 8-10 hrs per charge using good cells that have been fully charged. Good luck finding someone to service it if you determine that the problem is a fault in the scanner.

It is all dependent on the features you are using. Back lighting, flashing LED's and recording drastically hastens the battery drain.

I still keep mine plugged in more than I have it on battery power

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The 800 can NOT be bought cheaply anymore, prices are skyrocketing due to demand/supply.

I live in Ontario, Canada near Georgian Bay, out in the country.
I am comparing the GRE PSR-800 against the Uniden BCD-396XT.
Anybody have experience with both, and a preference?

JoeyC

I just put a freshly charged set of Eneloops in and will see how long until the batteries go dead.

Well I got 7 hours out of the charge and that's running the backlight ON constantly, with some talkgroups LED light activated, volume 20 on a moderately busy trunked system mixed digital and analog.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Several OT Posts Deleted

Folks, stick to the topic and don't go off the subject. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.