GRE500/PRO-197 AND WIN500

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone use excel to make up their lists then copy/paste into WIN500 ? I have for years and wondered if anyone knew this was possible. Especially good if you need a range of freqs, excel will save a lot of time. Any interest?
WIN500 needs to be rewritten, Its VERY slow to read and write to. And has not had any updates for quite a long time.
Tnx 73

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is because the developer has evidently lost interest in the software; there are some suspicions that he may have passed on....Mike

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone use excel to make up their lists then copy/paste into WIN500 ?
Yes. I have done this for years and for several reasons. Because I use several different models of scanners, I want to keep a "master copy" for all that I can then export to each radio (type). I prefer the channels on my radios to be organized in a specific similar manner.

I have for years and wondered if anyone knew this was possible. Especially good if you need a range of freqs, excel will save a lot of time.
Each scanner's program has a different means to import or even paste data so it is not like this solution is perfect. I am a programmer so I've been able to create utilities (in some cases) to export the Excel into some friendlier format for the scanner. Most work with csv files, although I tend to use cut as paste most often.

Any interest?
WIN500 needs to be rewritten, Its VERY slow to read and write to. And has not had any updates for quite a long time.
Tnx 73
The speed of WIN500 depends on what O/S you're using and likely what anti-virus/etc. software you're using. It certainly runs fast on older operating systems like XP. I'm not sure just what you're asking for.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I have done this for years and for several reasons. Because I use several different models of scanners, I want to keep a "master copy" for all that I can then export to each radio (type). I prefer the channels on my radios to be organized in a specific similar manner.

Each scanner's program has a different means to import or even paste data so it is not like this solution is perfect. I am a programmer so I've been able to create utilities (in some cases) to export the Excel into some friendlier format for the scanner. Most work with csv files, although I tend to use cut as paste most often.

The speed of WIN500 depends on what O/S you're using and likely what anti-virus/etc. software you're using. It certainly runs fast on older operating systems like XP. I'm not sure just what you're asking for.
I disagree on the OS/Processor. I've used WIN500 for a long time on Windows 7. Switchimg to 8 & 10 in the last year or two. No really marked improvement.. Still slow.

WA6IJD

Premium Subscriber

I too write small contained apps to deal with repetitious keystrokes. I usually use excel as a gathering point of data then sort as needed then trim down to two columns usually. Description, and frequency. Copies and pastes nicely into win500. Saves a lot of time.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Tnx 73

I've never ever seen a read/write speed problem with Win500.
In fact, I've always considered it very fast compared to other models from various manufacturers.
If anything, it could be some error checking routine or possibly something sharing the I/O bus with the serial adapter or serial interface you may be using to talk to your radio with Win500. Or some other type of conflict with Win500 and something running on your computer.
Or, malware running on your machine. Some people also run multiple AV or anti malware apps. Those type apps can fight one another and can slow down an otherwise fast machine to a crawl.

Uniden models can read or write just the blocks of memory that have changed which can be an advantage as you don't need to read or write every memory cell in the radio. Even though Uniden's method can be a speed advantage, Win500 and a PSR600 was always way faster during ram reads and writes.

GRE models on the other hand do read or write the Entire contents of its ram chip. There's no partial reading or writing like how Uniden does it.
None of that applies to the SD card based models from either manufacturer. This post is discussing pure read and writes to/from the radios ram chip via a serial interface such as is used on the non SD card models like the PSR500 or 600.

If your computer no longer has a true hardware serial port, then a usb to serial adapter would be used or an add-in serial port card. The USB to Serial devices are very popular today but there can be conflicts on the USB bus. The usb to serial adapters are also not always created equal. The older ones revealed some very poor performers back in the day. I've probably used or tried them all over their development.
I've used Win XP through Win 10 for talking with my PSR600 using Win500. If anything, various versions of Win 10 were the slowest when it comes to the OS but Win 10 was still not 'that' slow,

If you were not aware, the install folder for Win500 should have two executable files for the main program. One will be named Win500.exe and the other is Win500_COM.exe. I've always seen better speeds and less conflicts with the WIN500_COM version as it does not contain any automatic com port routines. You must manually select your com port for this version. In many cases, the _COM version has been WAY faster than the non com version when I'd ran tests or worked on comm problems.
Try that if you were not aware of it. I don't think Don had both version in the earliest release versions of Win500 but both were in the later or most current versions of Win500. He did this because people were having problems getting the auto com port detection working like it should.
There's a good chance the _COM version will take care of your speed problems. If not, there must be something else going on with your system or hardware as Win500's communication speed with the radio is anything but slow.

It's not even close to slow! My PSR600 only has a couple free blocks of ram free. Win500 reads or writes the entire contents of my PSR600 in about 5 seconds or so.
It really does not matter if your radio has its ram mostly empty or near full like mine as the GRE design reads and writes the Entire ram space anyway, regardless if it's used ram or not.

As a comparison, I have Uniden 996T and XT models that have about 25% of their ram used. Uniden's design allows for programs to read or write just the part of ram that is actually used. This speeds up reading and writing so you don't need to access the unused space when programming. Even with this feature, my x96T and XT models take about three minutes to write my programming into the radio(s). Reading is slightly faster but not by a lot.

Check for that WIN500_COM version and run it instead and see if that fixes your speed problem. Hopefully it will.
Also, when you run the WIN500_COM version, look under the Configuration/Serial Port menu item. There will be three different check box options there with an explanation for each check box. Play with those settings. One or two of them can definitely change your overall communications speed between Win500 and your radio.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I disagree on the OS/Processor. I've used WIN500 for a long time on Windows 7. Switchimg to 8 & 10 in the last year or two. No really marked improvement.. Still slow.
You have it backwards. WIN500 runs best under Windows XP and it does not get better with each so-called update. Regardless of that, one person may have no issues under Windows 7,8,10 while another finds it slow. I've found that to usually be caused by anti-virus software and/or its settings.

DJ11DLN

You have it backwards. WIN500 runs best under Windows XP and it does not get better with each so-called update. Regardless of that, one person may have no issues under Windows 7,8,10 while another finds it slow. I've found that to usually be caused by anti-virus software and/or its settings.
It's always run just fine for me on XP, 7, and 10, with one exception and an uninstall/reinstall solved that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.