GRE500 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
Is the GRE 500 a good scanner for most areas I was think about buying that one as I can not afford the new unidens can it handle the reband as well

teufler

the 396xt is already rebanded, out of the box. The GRE, with their object oriented programming I found more confusing than the Unidens programming. The terminology is different between the two though te end result is the same. A friend bought over his GRE 500,used arc 500 for programming. That costs money. Freescan with the 396xt is free. The GRE was alittle bigger, felt heavier to the touch. The speaker sounded louder. Unless you need the features that the new Unidens have, like type 2 p25, the 396xt is a better value and they work, and they have software support.

I have had the little brother to the PSR 500 the black scanner I don't recall what the model number is exactly..... and I would personally go with the Uniden and just because of that features and like the other post says their way easier to program!!!! and the Uniden is quite a bit smaller....... and the reason why I don't have my GRE scanner today is because the antenna is so very stiff that actually broke the connector down inside the radio!!! where the Uniden antennas are quite a bit more flexible!! and the GRE belt clips will break pretty quick if you're not very careful with them where Uniden a little more beefy but they're still not the best

kc7rhw

Premium Subscriber
thanks for every ones help I have had radio shack and uniden scanners before

Status
Not open for further replies.