GRE600/pro96 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickster51

Part 1 --- I just bought a GRE psr500(new in the box) after my RadioShack PRO96 APCO25 ready scanner just up and quit rxing the MPSCS . I have TRIED NOW to hear this system on the newly purchased PSR500 to no avail . Is there some changes in the mpscs I have NOT heard about ? Are both the scanners EXTINCT now ?

And part 2 .... I am NOW having a problem with the PSR500 V Scanner folders ---it appears ALL 20 folders are EMPTY . I think in my haste to make the PSR500 scan I inadvertently must have erased them --although I do not recall entering anything as such . And yes I did try the GLOBAL and other rest to factory defaults with NO LUCK . Is there ANY place where I can get the OEM DOWNLOAD to refurbish the out of the box default SYSTEM ?

Any help would certainly be appreciated

TES

Part 1 . . . Are both the scanners EXTINCT now ?

And part 2 . . . Is there ANY place where I can get the OEM DOWNLOAD to refurbish the out of the box default SYSTEM ? . . .

Answers:

Part 1
- No

Part 2 - (assumes "out of the box default SYSTEM" refers to the factory-loaded V-Scanner files) - Yes

Take a look at Don Starr's Win 500 page. Yep, the very same Don Starr that wrote the firmware for the GRE PSR-500 family of scanners. Click on the Factory V-Scanner link on the Win 500 page and you can retrieve the factory-loaded V-Scanner files. The files are in Win 500 file format and can be uploaded to your scanner using Win 500, available on the same page.

Also, for many locations, the factory-loaded V-Scanner files are seriously out of date.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Rickster, I moved your post to its own thread since it didn't relate to the original posters problem.

I also deleted your other thread since it's basically a duplicate of this one.

Last edited:

rickster51

what is the best way to update the scanners information as both my pro 96 and this psr500 do not seem to be receiving apco25 . I am doing a 30 day trial of psr500edit and win500 any suggestions ? thanks in advance

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Firmware Update, PSR 500

what is the best way to update the scanners information as both my pro 96 and this psr500 do not seem to be receiving apco25 . I am doing a 30 day trial of psr500edit and win500 any suggestions ? thanks in advance

I am assuming you have programmed the programming cable for the PSR 500. There are explicit instructions about how to update the firmware in your radio here: GRE America, Inc. - Powered By Kayako SupportSuite

Once you've completed this task, let me know. Then, I will gladly assist you in getting your radio going. However, I don't know which radio system you are attempting to program. You presented an abbreviation which was unfamiliar to me. If you abbreviation is associated with this system, I strongly recommend that you open this link & zoom in on the sites nearest your listening area. If I'm correct in assuming this is the radio system you referenced, then you have a rather involved process depending on whether you want to go mobile in a large or small area. This system is rather large. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteMap&sid=100&type=rr

Since I am semi-retired, I would gladly program your area for you provided you continue to use Win500. This is the preferred software as far as I'm concerned. I gave my ARC 500 to someone else. I hated it.

Regarding your Pro96, I would imagine there is a Radio Shack page to update the firmware. However, in this post, I'm specifically addressing your PSR 500.

Last edited:

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Part 1 see http://forums.radioreference.com/michigan-radio-discussion-forum/276830-michigan-rebanding-info.html

2 -Due to the above rebanding you would have had to change frequencies anyway and the setup that was in probably wouldnt have worked.
You dont show where your located at in your profile so I/we cant give more particular info for you.

Far as the oem programming, im sure most if not all of it wouldnt work anyway and/or be far outdated if one of the states would work. Rebanding has been ongoing for years nationwide.

Last edited:

rickster51

the scanner IS a PSR500 and a PRO96 . Thanks for the information . The APCO 25 system I NEED is the MICHIGAN PUBLIC SAFETY Communications System (or MPSCS) . And I am in CENTRAL and the NORTHERN LOWER PENNISULA of MICHIGAN

rickster51

the system needed on both the Radio Shack PRO96 and the new GRE PSR 500 is the APCO25 System -- MICHIGAN PUBLIC SAFETY Communications System (or MPSCS) for Central and Northern LOWER PENNINSULA of Mi . Sure would be nice to learn how to do this .... appreciate any help YOU can render . Thanks in advance

rickster51

WOW thanks for ALL the info am making some progress now on the PSR500 . Thanks for all the help ...NOT done yet may have MORE QUESTIONS here soon .

rickster51

Does anyone know if the programming cable for the PSR500 would WORK to upload the WIN500 p500 file to the PRO96 ?? And do I need to CONVERT that to a CVS file to do so OR do I need another program cable for the PRO96 . UPDATE too .... the WIN500 is working and has programmed the PSR500 and it is hearing WELL . thanks again for all the HELP by EVERYONE

N8IAA

Does anyone know if the programming cable for the PSR500 would WORK to upload the WIN500 p500 file to the PRO96 ?? And do I need to CONVERT that to a CVS file to do so OR do I need another program cable for the PRO96 . UPDATE too .... the WIN500 is working and has programmed the PSR500 and it is hearing WELL . thanks again for all the HELP by EVERYONE

You can import a Win96 file into Win500, but not the other way around. Two completely different memory schemes. That was how I got my 106 going over five years ago:) My brain just didn't grasp the programming scheme of the 106.
Larry

puzzleriddle

you will need win96 for the pro 96 & just use your premium Membership to Import what ya want.

Last edited:

rickster51

I am VERY pleased with the helpful comments that have assisted ME with programming the PSR500 from G R E and the Radio Shack PRO96 . I used the WIN96 for the PRO96 and the WIN500 software for the GRE PSR500 . So my question posed early on about whether the old and the newer scanners were EXTINCT ---the answer IS NOW heck no , I just needed some newer knowledge to complete the task . And I also learned that Whistler ,INC has bought GRE and it appears they will have a Whistler PSR 500 on the 2014 market soon. So if ya come across an old PRO96 or find someone with a TECH SUPPORT loading problem with the PSR 500 ---- let them folks know of what I have picked up here in this thread . And THANKS a bunch to the WIN software people and thanks ALSO to this site kept updated from the RR folks . Thanks to all for all the assistance and offers of assistance .

rickster51

And the answer as to "IF" the programming cable is good for both the answer is YES ...but with individual programs for each . thanks again folks

Status
Not open for further replies.