Great alternitive for Uniden Programming cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukon

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,
If you are like me you are always looking for a less expensive cable for Uniden's special serial cable. I have seen the thread for a cable on ebay, and purchased several, only to be disappointed when they arrived because the cable itself is quite a bit smaller in diameter and the wires are extremely small. I have found an alternative that works extremely, well and has a cable that is comparable to the original Uniden cable. It also has a shield in the cable which adds a great amount of strength to the cable. The unfortunate part is that it is also a USB cable . So the USB plug needs to be removed and a DB-9 plug needs to be soldered on. The advantage to that is that you can put on a Male connector and switch the RX and TX lines so that you wont need a null adapter or gender changer to connect your scanner to a gps unit.It wolrks great with the HP-1 and the BC346xt. I have ordered several extra cables for spares and have found bulk amounts of DB-9 connectors and hoods on ebay. makes for a quick fun project and saves lots of cash.
Here's the link for the cable, and its here in the US , so shipping will be quick and free

Newegg.com - Rosewill 6ft. USB2.0 A Male to USB Mini 4 pin cable (square connector), Model RCW-109

msradell

Sounds like you've come up with a reasonably priced solution.

What I really find frustrating and strange is that some manufacturers are still using DB-9 connectors on their equipment! That has been an obsolete format for at least 10 years we still see new equipment coming out the use.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone,
If you are like me you are always looking for a less expensive cable for Uniden's special serial cable. I have seen the thread for a cable on ebay, and purchased several, only to be disappointed when they arrived because the cable itself is quite a bit smaller in diameter and the wires are extremely small. I have found an alternative that works extremely, well and has a cable that is comparable to the original Uniden cable. It also has a shield in the cable which adds a great amount of strength to the cable. The unfortunate part is that it is also a USB cable . So the USB plug needs to be removed and a DB-9 plug needs to be soldered on. The advantage to that is that you can put on a Male connector and switch the RX and TX lines so that you wont need a null adapter or gender changer to connect your scanner to a gps unit.It wolrks great with the HP-1 and the BC346xt. I have ordered several extra cables for spares and have found bulk amounts of DB-9 connectors and hoods on ebay. makes for a quick fun project and saves lots of cash.
Here's the link for the cable, and its here in the US , so shipping will be quick and free

Newegg.com - Rosewill 6ft. USB2.0 A Male to USB Mini 4 pin cable (square connector), Model RCW-109

Awesome - can you post a color codes or wireing diagram to help us out with this project!!!

yukon

Premium Subscriber
wiring diagram

I'm not sure how to post a .jpg file of the wiring diagram. if this helps connect the black wire in the cable to pin number 5 of the Db-9 connector male or female. if using the cable to connect your scanner to a computer, use a female connector and connect the green wire in the cable to pin #3 and the red wire to pin #2,
If you are going to use this to connect to a GPS unit, use a male connector and again connect the black wire to pin #5, the green now to pin #2 and the red to pin #3

In both cases the white wire is not used in the original cable the white wire is connected to pin #8

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.