Great Lakes Marine Relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone. Just joined. Been listening to radio communications for a long time now. So far the SW listening has been from an old 8 band Aircastle that my grandfather gave to me a long time ago. It's still minty. A Zenith D7000Y-2 is on its way to replace. I use a wall high mounted extension speaker. Currently I'm using a random wire with a length of 91 meters, mainly straight, with a mfj 16010 tuner. I plan on loading to 100 meters some time soon. It works good so far, Havana sounds like it is next door. More importantly the LW band ~150 to 350 khz comes in real good. I'm getting static, at least, since the 91meters would be 8th wave for 125 khz. So LW has been my new challenge.

Friday night between 00:15 and 00:45 GMT I picked up what sounded like traditional spanish music in or around 149 khz. Only a half hour reception. I listened for a musical break and for a word or two. I heard the word "chicago". Which I could conclude that maybe the broadcast originated in Chicago but I think they were advertising for a Spanish Culture Festival that is indeed going on in Chicago right now. I researched. So that doesn't mean the music was being broadcasted from Chicago, just advertising about the festival.

Anyway, my conclusion is that the half hour reception could have been due to a moving cargo ship. I am in NW PA, reception would be better over water for that low freq. I regularly hardly ever hear anything that low. So, I figure, a cargo ship was moving in lake michigan or ontario, or perhaps exiting the St Lawrence River even. Tuned to the same station, but as soon as they passed, my good reception left with them. No more line of sight or vectoring of reception. I know there is word for this senerio but can't think of it.

There doesn't seem to be any Marine LW schedule out there for any broadcasts. Very Rogue. I have looked all over the web. Other than beacons and such, but no relay of Spanish Music.

So I ask, are there LW Marine rebroadcasts for the Great Lakes? Or St Lawrence River? Would a AM station rebroadcast on LW for the marine cargo spanish crowd? I am curious.

Being close to 2 Lakes, Erie and Ontario, could present interesting bouncing for good LW reception. Plus these lakes are above my elevation, so there could be a line-of-sight favor here too.

Attachments

• Aircc.jpg
    Aircc.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 498

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's much more likely that you're getting some break through from the MW band - it's a common problem, and not just with old portables like this one (nice though it is)....

The issue here is that LW is not used as a broadcast medium here in the US (it is, although it's slowly being supplanted by MW and FM, in Europe, for example) so not much attention is paid to the design for the LW band. It's pretty much an after thought.

Folks that use better receivers such as the Icom R75 usually end up buying filters to block out MW,

I would also tend to suspect that there are MW stations that rebroadcast other services (here in the DC area, there used to be such a station that would relay VoA, Australia, Russia and other services off a satellite feed as a filler in the early mornings...), but who would do that in your area I don't know.

Mike

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Play math with 150 and 910 (twice the 455 kHz IF) to see if the result is a frequency with a strong AM signal. HTH.

Boombox

I'd have to agree with the others, it probably is an 'image' of a MW station.

I have several analog tuning, single conversion superhets with a LW band -- all of them will get these images of local MW stations if I don't use an antenna tuner. They're still good radios, they just need extra filtering if I use them for Longwave.

Your MFJ 16010 tuner looks like a good tuner (I found some info on it online), but it only tunes as low as the 160 meter band, which happens to be just above the MW X-band (1610-1700 khz). Maybe it's peaking a Spanish-speaking station in that range, and it's bleeding into your Aircastle's LW section.

Rig up a tuned LW loop antenna, and set it near your Aircastle and you'll probably get some good LW reception.

You got a cool radio there. Glad to see you are using it and DXing with it.

Yep, you're right, must be bleeding over from AM.

I listened again Sunday night, same music same spot. I heard the station ID & freq....: 1590 AM. Checked with my new/old Zenith 7K-1 just got. No music, no AM imaging there.
Yep, 1/3rd of 455 is 150.

So forget the thread already. Just forget what I've said so far.

I was planning on making a rotating loop. So far I could manage a 18" diameter made from light metal tubing. Would that work?

Attachments

• Z7K.jpg
    Z7K.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 311

Boombox

That's a nice Zenith you got there. They can be great DX radios, sound good, also.

The 3000's and earlier are particular about power sources. With those it's best to use batteries, because wall-warts sometimes put out more than 12V and the 3000's transistors don't like that.

I had a 3000 Transoceanic that once shut itself down when I was using a wall wart. Luckily it didn't damage the AF power transistors.

I'm not sure the 7000 series are so critical about that -- not sure if your radio has discrete transistors or not, but if it does, it may be a good idea to just stick with batteries, just in case.

The Transoceanics are pretty easy on batteries. A set of batteries lasts a long time.

w7slm

Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 7000-1

Checked with my new/old Zenith 7K-1 just got. No music, no AM imaging there.
QUOTE]

Ah! This seems to be a rare beast (as far as finding info specific to R-7k-1) on the web! I have one of these as well, and FM band works, but none of the others.) If you would be inclined to discuss this particular radio and compare notes, please let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.