Great Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
After seeing several here recommend it, I bought a new Diamond RH 77CA antenna for my PRO 164.

It came a today and .. my goodness, I'm picking up signals in the northern part of my county, and everything is MUCH, MUCH stronger and louder. Way more powerful than the rubber duck that came with the scanner. Picking up a lot more broadcasts than before.

Very pleased with the new signal strength; strongly recommend it.

Here's the link to where I got it:
Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna
$22 + shipping

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
The RH77CA excels at UHF and VHF, but isn't as good at 800 MHz as the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna (which is also quite good at UHF but lacking at VHF). It isn't very expensive, is more portable than the longer Diamond, and you won't regret having one of each!

DickH

After seeing several here recommend it, I bought a new Diamond RH 77CA antenna for my PRO 164.
It came a today and .. my goodness, I'm picking up signals in the northern part of my county, and everything is MUCH, MUCH stronger and louder. ... Picking up a lot more broadcasts than before.

... MUCH, MUCH stronger and louder. ...
An antenna will not make your signals louder. That is strictly a function of the modulation (volume) at the transmitter. The signals may be less noisy so they may seem louder.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
... MUCH, MUCH stronger and louder. ...
An antenna will not make your signals louder. That is strictly a function of the modulation (volume) at the transmitter. The signals may be less noisy so they may seem louder.
They do indeed seem much louder (local broadcasts). Your probably right about being louder because of loss of background noise. They give the impression that they are much closer.

I've been playing with it for a couple of hours now and have had to put several channels on lockout. Before I never received anything on them, now I'm getting a weak signal, too weak to waste time listening to, but at least now I am getting them. These appear to be 15 watt fire channels, perhaps a mobile unit.

Have on bank set to trunking and never really got much in the way of broadcasts on them (Indiana SAFE-T). Now I'm getting a loud buzzing on one channel and a couple of other channels are pickig up weak broadcasts.

Very please with this antenna. The original duckie goes in the goodby drawer.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
The RH77CA excels at UHF and VHF, but isn't as good at 800 MHz as the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna (which is also quite good at UHF but lacking at VHF). It isn't very expensive, is more portable than the longer Diamond, and you won't regret having one of each!

I've seen others agree with your assessment. I have only a few 800 MHz freqs programmed, most everything is in the 100 & 400 range. But I'll keep your recommendation in the back of my mind. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.