Great signal strength but P25 audio sometimes cuts in and out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just got my SDS200 and while it is a fantastic radio, I STILL have some simulcast distortion present!!
No. You may have adjacent channel interference or some other issue, but not simulcast distortion.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
No. You may have adjacent channel interference or some other issue, but not simulcast distortion.
I have been wrestling with this for a while. I did set my "NAC" which was OFF. I turned it on, saw that my state system P25 has an NAC:190h that seemed to help a bit. I have tried 3 different antennas. The 800mhz mag mount is the one that works best. The omni x and discone which are up high on masts dont make any difference and the PROV signal is actually WEAKER using those antennas.
Interference may be the culprit but not sure how to troubleshoot it. I thought maybe using indoor whip that came with scanner would help. I can still receive with it but bad audio still there. I plan on trying a YAGI next but need advice on which one to get. For the most part I can live with the situation. After making adjustments to radio it appears to be behaving a little better. I live south of big transmitters for various things so those may be causeing problems.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to share for any one else struggling with simulcast,. I bought 2 SDR dongles and setup SDRtrunk. The install was painless, I just put in my radio reference login and it programmed the p25 system and all the talk groups in just a few click, it even configured all the streaming settings and I had the broadcastify stream going in no time. This solution cost about $60 instead of $700 for the SDS100/200. There wasn't really anything hard about it. Don't be scared of SDR especially if you're streaming broadcastify, it's pretty awesome. One computer could run a bunch of streams with different talkgroups routed to different streams. Plus it is 100% digital and the clarity is wonderful!
can you PM me with more detailed info on SDR radio? That is something I would like to get in to cause I like computers. Mostly I am confused by all the different "dongles" out there. My computer is a DELL Optiplex 390 with SSD and 16GB RAM. I tried playing with that SDR software but without a dongle its useless. Thanks.....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I live south of big transmitters for various things so those may be causeing problems.
Living next to a transmitter can definitely be an issue. Do a sweep with an SDR to see what frequencies are blasting at your location, an then you can start strategizing the best way to deal with the problem.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Living next to a transmitter can definitely be an issue. Do a sweep with an SDR to see what frequencies are blasting at your location, an then you can start strategizing the best way to deal with the problem.
OK I am not familiar with SDR but is that where you get a "dongle" and airspy software?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have you ever looked at the forum for software-defined radio stuff?

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Have you ever looked at the forum for software-defined radio stuff?
Yes but too much information! I am familiar with the sdr software. I have "airspy" but cant use it yet cause I need a "dongle" but there are so many out there. I just need to be pointed in right direction. The antenna connector on the dongles are unfamiliar to me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They're the same SMA connector used by the SDS100, 436, and numerous other radios.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
OK so I would need to get some kind of adapter like an SMA to so-239 if I want to connect dongle to some type of antenna. I am going to watch more videos.
Better to adapt to BNC than that.

rpurinton

SDRtrunk was by far the easiest software to setup. the built in radio reference integration is amazing. I bought the dongle’s called RTL-SDR.com blog v3 and stone cheap $7 sma antennas that were being sold for cell phone boosters...

I did need 2 dongle’s to support the range of frequencies our system has.

we are now streaming all TGs to the new calls platform and everything is working well.

Status
Not open for further replies.