Great Skip Going On Last Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I could hear police and fire in Covington, KY (I am 2 hrs north in NE Dayton suburb, also heard Indianapolis PD and Lima Oh PD. It opened up right after the t-storms rolled through. Fun radio night!

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
There's something crazy going on (great skip). We had check-ins from Windsor, ON, Canada on the Doylestown barometer net. Thats approximately 110 miles on 2m.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Hoping it happens again tonight, I plan to open up all the scanners. Missed some of the action last night because of Yellowstone, but there will be no distractions tonight :)

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hi JD, just wanted to let you know I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania and we have also been having terrific skip on VHF High. Even weather bands I never get on NOAA Weather Radio. Also getting two different NOAA stations on one frequency and you know what that sounds like.

Very interesting phenomena. As far as I know this is not supposed to be happening.

Oh well, it's fun... Bob.

Last edited:

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Always a good source of tropospheric ducting conditions: VHF Propagation Map

From Cape Cod last night, I was listening to the Virginia STARS site in Accomac VA. TG49 was very active. Great conditions.

Edit: Should throw this one in too: http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
It is an excellent source of forecasting ducting conditions and also offers some in-depth explanation of the phenomena.

AB5ID

Hi JD, just wanted to let you know I'm in Southeastern Pennsylvania and we have also been having terrific skip on VHF High. Even weather bands I never get on NOAA Weather Radio. Also getting two different NOAA stations on one frequency and you know what that sounds like.

Very interesting phenomena. As far as I know this is not supposed to be happening.

Oh well, it's fun... Bob.
NOAA Stations make great beacons for skip!

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
Agreed! I'm hearing a very busy fire dispatch system in Dayton Ohio on 154.13 MHz. First time catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.