Great sounding base police scanner wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Maybe someone can make a suggestion on a base police scanner with good sound. I have a hand held but even when put through speakers it sounds poor. Want a nice big sound. My old regency turbo scanner has a nice sound through speakers. Do most of the newer scanners have junk amplifiers or what. Also would like trunking thats easy to program. My hand help was a real pain (BC246). Anything easy with great sound. Thanks Ron

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Sound

Maybe someone can make a suggestion on a base police scanner with good sound. I have a hand held but even when put through speakers it sounds poor. Want a nice big sound. My old regency turbo scanner has a nice sound through speakers. Do most of the newer scanners have junk amplifiers or what. Also would like trunking thats easy to program. My hand help was a real pain (BC246). Anything easy with great sound. Thanks Ron

Both my 996T and 996XT have good sound quality. The BEST sounding scanner I ever had was a TENNELEC 16 ch crystal scanner way back when. But, I digress. Easy to program??? Good LUCK with that one. Both UNIDEN and GRE scanners have a HUGE learning curve. Especially if you are use to the old BANK / Channel system. Hey but once you adapt it gets easier.

Ed
KC9LVX Evansville, In Feed

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hand-held scanners are designed so that their audio amplifiers are as efficient with (battery) power as reasonably possible. Base scanners are largely repackaged hand-held scanners. In other words the design mentality is not for highest sound quality, it is inexpensive, lightweight, power efficient ability to drive a small speaker.

If you get away from the Unidens and the GREs out there, you might find something that meets this need. My suggestion would be to get a PSR-400 or PSR-600 base scanner and use the EXT SP to connect to an external amplifier and speaker. Then you can control the fidelity to match what sounds good to you. Yes the audio would still pass through the 'junk amplifier' of the scanner, but it would be operating more like a pre-amp. I am actually doing this to some degree, but using a PC as the amplifier/speaker.

freqs

If you dont mind a older radio I use a pro 2006 it sounds the best out of all the radios I have had over the years just my 2 cents it a non trunking unit

N8IAA

One of my all time favorites was my BC895. The speaker was on the top, but I used an external speaker (old Motorola non-amplified) that made the radio a joy while listening to conventional frequencies. That speaker is now used on a Pro-163 with the same results. Base/mobile radios never sound good until a proper speaker is added:)
Larry

CompuDoc

If you dont mind a older radio I use a pro 2006 it sounds the best out of all the radios I have had over the years just my 2 cents it a non trunking unit

That's one of the reasons I still have my 2006. Even my 200 XLT sounds better than some of the stuff today on the market. Another great sounding scanner I had was a Regency 204-A08863 which was my first scanner. Before that was several multiband radios and even before that was an old AM/Shortwave that my father had. It was a wooden table top. I remember you could hear the marine operator on it calling for a ship that had a phone call waiting to patch through.

Status
Not open for further replies.