• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Great Squelch Control on Cobra 29

breadhits

Please tell me WHY other Cb radio manufacturer s dont have good SQUELCH Circuitry like model 29A original Cobra? And which model has this TYPE of squelch on a SSB CB? Also other makes and other models that have full SQUELCH like 29B & 29A cobras (AM mode only)?

This Logarithmic TYPE continuously adjustable ("decimation") SQUELCH is Drastically different from most every Other 2-way or even 1-way radio gear of today. Its VERY important bc its tremendously EFFECTIVE (esp. When combined with RF Gain control & Audio Compression ST (Sound Tracker) at taking out static & background noise (between transmissions) and adapting to signals better (although, Manually) than DSP or other NR or Filtering or conventional typical (all other types) of squelch controls on all other 2-way rigs.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Please tell me WHY other Cb radio manufacturer s dont have good SQUELCH Circuitry like model 29A original Cobra? And which model has this TYPE of squelch on a SSB CB? Also other makes and other models that have full SQUELCH like 29B & 29A cobras (AM mode only)?

I only buy Cobra 25 and 29 Classic models. However, one day, a radio technician sold me an 11-meter Anytone 500-M which comes with FM CB.

At present, skip is driving me nuts on this Anytone! I thought summer was the time of year when people shot skip. I have tried to adjust this blasted 11-meter radio to squelch out these extremely annoying transmissions from across the country.

These slip transmissions are pegging my needle. They sound like they are in the immediate vicinity. In fact, many times they talk over local radios.

So, I am getting ready to trash this 11-meter and return to my Cobra radios. Then, I will see if I can put "Skip" to sleep. I prefer the squelch on the Cobra radios.

breadhits

I only buy Cobra 25 and 29 Classic models. However, one day, a radio technician sold me an 11-meter Anytone 500-M which comes with FM CB.

At present, skip is driving me nuts on this Anytone! I thought summer was the time of year when people shot skip. I have tried to adjust this blasted 11-meter radio to squelch out these extremely annoying transmissions from across the country.

These slip transmissions are pegging my needle. They sound like they are in the immediate vicinity. In fact, many times they talk over local radios.

So, I am getting ready to trash this 11-meter and return to my Cobra radios. Then, I will see if I can put "Skip" to sleep. I prefer the squelch on the Cobra radios.
Do you notice the model 25 is a little more sensitive to weakest signals than the 29?

Do you notice the model 25 is a little more sensitive to weakest signals than the 29?
I dont know much you can do about the skip,without also cutting local reception. The 29A might help slightly. The other (modern) derivative versions of the 29 dont have the same TYPE of SQUELCH the Original 29(no letters after) does.

The CLASSIC versions you alluded to do not have the same TYPE of Squelch either. With the 29 A (be Sure not the "B") you can have a tech mute the squelch pot inside this rig (turn all way down threshold level & beyond if possible without breaking pot). That will let your squelch knob very gradually decrease the rf/AF signal but you will have the ADDED Advantage of Also using it WITH RF Gain Control to take out Much background (atmospheric and or Electrical,etc interference).

I really think its NUTS all COM receivers dont have squelch adjusted this way from the manufacturer. BC I see no advantage to having the circuit TRIP (CLIP) the audio below its threshold. The (squelch) circuit is a Continuously variable MUTING one, YET the manufacturer s SET the Threshold level SO HIGH till it completely clips the audio past its trip point.

If you Do Not turn the Threshold level DOWN from INSIDE the 29 A, then it will still have a lessor effect and work differently from All other "squelch" controls but not as Much squelching effect ON STRONGER signals. There is a REASON its Called squelch!!! Notice, its Not called "Audio Cutoff", but Thats what the Manufacturers Have it FACTORY-SET to function as. It HAD the right Name. Meaning it SQUASHES (rolls off gradually) not Eliminates the AUDIO.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber

I dont know much you can do about the skip,without also cutting local reception. The 29A might help slightly. The other (modern) derivative versions of the 29 dont have the same TYPE of SQUELCH the Original 29(no letters after) does.

The CLASSIC versions you alluded to do not have the same TYPE of Squelch either. With the 29 A (be Sure not the "B") you can have a tech mute the squelch pot inside this rig (turn all way down threshold level & beyond if possible without breaking pot). That will let your squelch knob very gradually decrease the rf/AF signal but you will have the ADDED Advantage of Also using it WITH RF Gain Control to take out Much background (atmospheric and or Electrical,etc interference).

I really think its NUTS all COM receivers dont have squelch adjusted this way from the manufacturer. BC I see no advantage to having the circuit TRIP (CLIP) the audio below its threshold. The (squelch) circuit is a Continuously variable MUTING one, YET the manufacturer s SET the Threshold level SO HIGH till it completely clips the audio past its trip point.

If you Do Not turn the Threshold level DOWN from INSIDE the 29 A, then it will still have a lessor effect and work differently from All other "squelch" controls but not as Much squelching effect ON STRONGER signals. There is a REASON its Called squelch!!! Notice, its Not called "Audio Cutoff", but Thats what the Manufacturers Have it FACTORY-SET to function as. It HAD the right Name. Meaning it SQUASHES (rolls off gradually) not Eliminates the AUDIO.

This is a very old 29. I once owned an American made 29 (don't know if Cedar Electronics is still making this model or outsourcing them). It is an old-school squelch. I am rather hard of hearing after this many years of very loud music. I will go and look at the radio and see if I can isolate when it was made. I don't know about the distant signals. Once my Cobra 25 goes to the repair shop, I will tell you.

I let some newbie borrow my 25 and he keyed it, quite a few times, without the antenna connected. I wanted to tune him up. My other one received a Cola Baptism like my SDS 100.

p1879

You guys are right. Had an old Cobra 25 that was a joy to listen to while driving. Adjusted right it transitioned various communications real smoothly, no hard squelch dump... Best audio I ever had mobile--of course with an external speaker.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
You guys are right. Had an old Cobra 25 that was a joy to listen to while driving. Adjusted right it transitioned various communications real smoothly, no hard squelch dump... Best audio I ever had mobile--of course with an external speaker.

Yep, there are the only two models I buy with the exception of the 11-meter Anytone. However, I am considering buying the President Thomas, unless it has a complicated squelch that allows skip to drive me nuts.

KD8DVR

Yep, there are the only two models I buy with the exception of the 11-meter Anytone. However, I am considering buying the President Thomas, unless it has a complicated squelch that allows skip to drive me nuts.
The Thomas has an automatic squelch control, that unfortunately, lets skip come thru. Use of the manual squelch eliminates the skip and still allows some local communications through. It doesn't have hysteresis, so when signals hit the threshold, they are clipped.