Great State of Maine Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgregjones

Hello fellow scanner enthusiast.
I just received an email confirming that no scanners will be allowed at the airshow this September.
I have attended the Brunswick airshow several times since the late 1990's and never had an issue bringing my scanners along.
I really love listening to the communications and searching/finding new frequencies.
Too bad as I won't be attending this year if I can't listen.

ecps92

You have been informed correctly.

ENTRY RESTRICTIONSCollapse
The following items are NOT allowed:
  • Weapons of ANY kind including: pocket knives, pocket tools, scissors, box cutters, nun-chucks, billy clubs, large/heavy chain-linked jewelry or belts, mace/pepper spray, firearms. NO CONCEALED WEAPONS.
  • Drones or radio-controlled aircraft
  • Large purses
  • Toys resembling firearms
  • Fireworks
  • Spray paint/silly string
  • Glass containers
  • Alcohol, illegal drugs
  • Bicycles, skateboards
  • Heelies, roller skates, rollerblades
  • Coolers
  • Rucksacks or backpacks
  • Animals or pets
  • Canteens, thermoses, and other hard sided water bottles
  • Umbrellas larger than a personal umbrella
  • Tents or canopies of any kind
  • Cooking equipment, including grills
  • Walkie-talkies, HAM radios, scanners
  • Possession and use of marijuana or CBD oil is illegal on all federal installations
  • Balloons
  • Golfcarts
  • Walking sticks, not including medical canes or walkers
ALL BAGS AND ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO SEARCH AT ANY TIME

I just received an email confirming that no scanners will be allowed at the airshow this September.
I have attended the Brunswick airshow several times since the late 1990's and never had an issue bringing my scanners along.
I really love listening to the communications and searching/finding new frequencies.

dgregjones

I saw that.
But I also saw on their website under "Guest Info"
Then "FAQ"
Then "What am I allowed to bring?"
Under that it states "The following items are NOT allowed" and Scanners are not listed.

lonstri

Premium Subscriber
Same here. Its just as easy to sit off site and listen to the radio traffic!!

n1das

The prohibited list is rather draconian when it comes to radios including scanning receivers.

Are smartphones running PTT apps allowed? The list of prohibited items does not list smartphones running PTT apps like Zello. My wife and I use AT&T Enhanced PTT (EPTT) on our ruggedized smartphones which have have a dedicated hardware PTT button. We won't be going to the airshow but I was wondering about smartphones and PTT apps. I've seen Zello used to provide real-time scanner feeds, minus the politics of scanner feeds from other sites.

Isinglass311

Premium Subscriber
I went to the GSOM Airshow website and found a PR contact there. I sent him a polite email explaining that I enjoy monitoring the Airshow chatter using my scanner as much as the Airshow itself. I told him I would not be attending again this year due to the no scanner policy.

So far, the NH Airshow the following weekend has not banned the use of scanners.

dgregjones

I'm glad you followed up with your email.
I also started by leaving a message by contacting them through their website.
They couldn't give me a definite answer so they referred me to "info@airshownetwork.com" and said that they produce the show.
I got a kurt response from a guy named Jim that said: "Sorry, but no scanners are allowed."

Maybe if enough scanner enthusiast are vocal, they may rethink their policy.

Maybe I'll run into you at the show at Pease. I had also check their website and didn't see anything about scanners.

Best

Xray

So watch off site, I have been doing that for years pretty much after they banned coolers then jacked the price of a bottle of water up to $5.

Drawbacks: Can't view static displays
Benefits: Much better view of flying aircraft, don't have to bake in the sun all day

Can take some doing to find a good spot, looking at google maps for areas aligned with runways can help. Should have at least 3 spots picked out in case you get bounced from one, which can happen especially if the blue angles/thunderbirds are flying. I have found that the 2 practice/fly-in days preceding the show are often much better than the show itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.