• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Great SWR but lots of static like something is running

jzarick

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a A99. Couldn't wait to get it. Put it up. Grabbed a crappy radio to test swr. SWR good around 1 to 1.2. Grabbed my President Mckinley and turned it on. Static lots of it drowning everything out. Disconnect the power source and hooked to battery no change. Sounds like something running. Bought thicker copper grounding no change. My question is if I bought an antenna tuner will I be able to clear the noise up. I forgot to mention I took the antenna down and moved it all over my backyard to no avail. One more thing I will do is turn off the power to my house and see if something in my house is causing the interference. More than likely I will return this if I can't resolve this. So far really disappointed.

dkcorlfla

I just bought a A99. Couldn't wait to get it. Put it up. Grabbed a crappy radio to test swr. SWR good around 1 to 1.2. Grabbed my President Mckinley and turned it on. Static lots of it drowning everything out. Disconnect the power source and hooked to battery no change. Sounds like something running. Bought thicker copper grounding no change. My question is if I bought an antenna tuner will I be able to clear the noise up. I forgot to mention I took the antenna down and moved it all over my backyard to no avail. One more thing I will do is turn off the power to my house and see if something in my house is causing the interference. More than likely I will return this if I can't resolve this. So far really disappointed.
Please post the results of cutting the power to the house and testing rig by running on Battery. If no difference then it may well be a problem on a neighbors house or the power lines. I'm curious if you had better results in the past with a different antenna? I have had issues with different antennas on my HF ham radio picking up more of the power line RFI. Ferrites on the coax might help a little. Don't think the antenna tuner will help with the RFI.

jzarick

Premium Subscriber
Well I turned off the power to the house and the static running noise went away. So there's something in my house causing interference what that is I don't have a clue.

dkcorlfla

Well I turned off the power to the house and the static running noise went away. So there's something in my house causing interference what that is I don't have a clue.
Ok, you are real close to getting it sorted out. All you need now is a portable AM radio, tune it to a blank spot on the AM band then walk around the house. The AM radio will have a small ferrite antenna inside and the most gain will be when broadside to the source and a deep null off the ends.

jzarick

Premium Subscriber
That's what I'm doing. I have no portable am radio. Right now the culprit is my radon hub for the internet. Still checking but I think once I turn my office on where my router is for Arlo and my thermostat it will return but right now the noise static is gone..... turned office on static noise is back. I will unplug one thing at a time and see. The radon hub is connected to a net gear hub that plugs into the wall in a different room but gets the internet from a net gear plugged into my office. When I unplugged them the noise goes away. Wow who would have thought. I will shut off the house and see if there is a change but as of right now there is no static noise as if something is running.

Last edited:

dkcorlfla

That's what I'm doing. I have no portable am radio. Right now the culprit is my radon hub for the internet. Still checking but I think once I turn my office on where my router is for Arlo and my thermostat it will return but right now the noise static is gone..... turned office on static noise is back. I will unplug one thing at a time and see. The radon hub is connected to a net gear hub that plugs into the wall in a different room but gets the internet from a net gear plugged into my office. When I unplugged them the noise goes away. Wow who would have thought. I will shut off the house and see if there is a change but as of right now there is no static noise as if something is running.
Make sure to rule out the power supply to the radon hub. I have had a lot of problems with switching mode power supplies. Might just be a bad power supply and if so you could continue to use the hub.

jzarick

Premium Subscriber
It was definitely the netgear. https://a.co/d/fXeMvnx. Thank you everyone for the great advice. In my 18 wheeler I have a stryker 10 with a stryker 955. I strapped the door down with grounding straps and my swr is 1.0 on 19. I enjoyed the dx'ing so much I figure I get an A99 for the house. I'm happy we figured it out how to get rid of the noise. Almost returned it. Thanks everyone.

dkcorlfla

It was definitely the netgear. https://a.co/d/fXeMvnx. Thank you everyone for the great advice. In my 18 wheeler I have a stryker 10 with a stryker 955. I strapped the door down with grounding straps and my swr is 1.0 on 19. I enjoyed the dx'ing so much I figure I get an A99 for the house. I'm happy we figured it out how to get rid of the noise. Almost returned it. Thanks everyone.
Thanks for posting the link to the device causing the RFI problem. This might help someone down the road searching for help with a RFI problem. Seems this network WIFI > AC house wire adapter is doing a great job of using the wiring in your house to broadcast RFI.

Looks like this is a product to avoid if one wants to enjoy CB or ham radio.

niceguy71

good post... I just went through my breakers tonight 60 of them.... YES 60 forty in the main panel and 20 on a separate generator panel ... I put a camcorder on my base station using a battery turned off every breaker.... made sure the noise ( in my case a surge) was gone.... then I went into the basement with my handhled and said into the handheld tuning on breaker # 1 .... I then waited 10 seconds and did the same for breaker #2 ..... when I did all 60 I got the camcorder and some popcorn and watched it... it was number 23... my garage plugs... and in my garage is a
Macard WiFi Extender/Booster
but I've had this surge for a year and the Macard only for a few months.... but i'll start there.

slowmover

Always a great place to search solutions that aren’t easy as tossing out a device on-property in favor of one better.

FWIW,
The base station RFI kit would be automatic for me. Something aggravates me (noise level vs noise per se) then I’d get more serious.

I’d also have RF/CMC Chokes at both end of coax.

Big truck mobile gets hit by onboard devices, then that of other vehicles, plus local environment. Why DSP mattered so much.

Experiments matter.

One can’t leave his station location, but at least he has leisure with which to pursue ends.

Good luck

paulears

My journey to the office is down a main road with housing both sides. The van marine radio goes mad every few hundred yards and of course the traffic stops outside people’s houses with noisy power supplies that reach as far as the road. Stupidly common

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Some things to particularly check:
Wall warts (plug-in power supplies for printers, cellphone chargers, etc.) unplug each and see if their is an effect.
Turn on/off each light. See if there is an effect.
Turn on/off any air cleaning device (some use a HV dust removal)
I would do this before trying the circuit breakers as you will save yourself from re-setting clocks, getting complaints from the wife, and it is "more surgical".

dkcorlfla

good post... I just went through my breakers tonight 60 of them.... YES 60 forty in the main panel and 20 on a separate generator panel ... I put a camcorder on my base station using a battery turned off every breaker.... made sure the noise ( in my case a surge) was gone.... then I went into the basement with my handhled and said into the handheld tuning on breaker # 1 .... I then waited 10 seconds and did the same for breaker #2 ..... when I did all 60 I got the camcorder and some popcorn and watched it... it was number 23... my garage plugs... and in my garage is a
Macard WiFi Extender/Booster
but I've had this surge for a year and the Macard only for a few months.... but i'll start there.
That was a clever way to quickly sort things out. Good job!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
It is likely the power supply and not the actual unit itself. If it uses a switching power supply, replace that with an old fashioned transformer ("linear") supply and the problem will likely go away. I routinely replace all switch power supplies but finding them can be a little hard. Always save any old ones rather than throw them away.

dkcorlfla

If you have a doorbell, that transformer just may be a bit leaky.
Give that a look.

DW
So. Cal.
That maybe something that could be overlooked easily but here are some observations. I used to worry about my old doorbell transformer that was mounted in the very hot attic having the enamel insulation break down and start a fire so I bought a new one (few years ago) and remounted it in the hallway with the only thing near it being non flammable drywall. I also fused it down to a light 2 amp fuse. Kinda like the way it looks out in the open. As best I can remember the old transformer was shielded like the new one and this type of transformer is not likely to put out any RFI. That said perhaps new doorbell installs might come with a switching power supply and those can indeed cause RFI.

So it might make sense to take a look and make sure the transformer looks like the one in the picture below.

Attachments

• DoorBellTransformer.jpg
    DoorBellTransformer.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6