Greater Cleveland Radio Communication Network

kf8yk

What does it mean that Cuyahoga Valley Dispatch is a satellite dispatch center of Chagrin Valley Dispatch Center?

Cuyahoga Valley, Chagrin Valley and the Heights/Hillcrest dispatch centers are physically in different locations but all managed as one group. All back office functions (payroll, HR, IT, etc.), the CAD system, and the phone system (PBX and E911) are shared among all three dispatch centers.

northernsummit

Feed Provider
What does it mean that Cuyahoga Valley Dispatch is a satellite dispatch center of Chagrin Valley Dispatch Center?

Cuyahoga Valley has a dispatch center in Brecksville and one in Bedford. The southern one is a "satellite" of the same entity that made up the first one. I'm pretty sure they can "fail over" dispatch to either location in the event of a disaster or outage.

Also why doe Dispatch radios on Cuyahoga Valley and Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center do not have the regular IDs starting with 18, which I guess stands for Cuyahoga County.

This is going to be speculative. Dispatch consoles by definition don't technically roam about the MARCS system. User radios DO roam about the system and the prefix giving away their "home" county is probably useful for metrics, reporting, and maybe even access privileges.

Thanks. Just interesting that the dispatch radios do not have the county number in front and the mobile units do. I have noticed that the mobile units on both Cleveland and MARCS have the 18 leading number for Cuyahoga County. I have noticed that mobile units also have the leading numbers of 47 for Lorain County and 52 for Medina County. On the other hand, I do not understand Ohio's RIDs for the various state agencies. They do not seem to following a county numbering scheme.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Also why doe Dispatch radios on Cuyahoga Valley and Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center do not have the regular IDs starting with 18, which I guess stands for Cuyahoga County.

Most likely, Cuyahoga Valley and Southwest Dispatch consoles are connected to the Cleveland system, not MARCS; since they don't roam off the Cleveland system they can use any IDs they want. Mobile and portable radios, since they can roam, use standard IDs.

Most likely, Cuyahoga Valley and Southwest Dispatch consoles are connected to the Cleveland system, not MARCS; since they don't roam off the Cleveland system they can use any IDs they want. Mobile and portable radios, since they can roam, use standard IDs.
Thanks.

Cleveland System
Interop/Common Talkgroups

These are just marked as Area 2 through ... and Region 2 through.... Does anybody know what the actual areas and regions are? Like North, West, etc. or something else?

For the Southwest section of Cuyahoga County, since alot of the Fire Departments are dispatched on the Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center talk groups, does anybody hear the Fire Departments on their regular municipal talk groups anymore? Does it make sense to keep these in EZ Scan and your scanner or should the regular fire department talk groups for each city be deleted? I have noticed that the PDs are dispatched on their regular city (municipal) talkgroups. Also would the FDs use the same Radio I.D.s on their municipal talk groups that they used on the SWEDC?

budevans

Over the past hour I have monitored traffic on TG 56323 with RID's from each department in the Southwest Emergency Dispatch Center and also from Parma Hts.

The initial traffic was a series of radio checks from each of the various departments. Following the completion of radio checks what sounded like a SWAT exercise took place.

During the same period I also heard an Emergency radio check for Parknoll Elementary School, which is located in Berea. The TG used is 56342.

Last edited:

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
Bud I caught parts of that also. I temporary called that trunk group: SW PD Interop.
Sounds like they are preparing for something .
I logged about 5 different cities per the Radio ID's.
I guess time will tell.

budevans

Bud I caught parts of that also. I temporary called that trunk group: SW PD Interop.
Sounds like they are preparing for something .
I logged about 5 different cities per the Radio ID's.
I guess time will tell.
Thanks for the confirmation regarding TG 56323. Besides the SW group I also monitored Parma Hts and Brunswick.

FYI, there are a number of multiple community groups (mutual aid, interop, SWAT, Search & Rescue, etc..) in Cuyahoga County. For now we should just keep monitoring to see if we can ID the group for TG 56323.

Regarding the Emergency radio check TG 56342 for Parknoll Elementary School in Berea. I received information that Parknoll in Berea had closed and been torn down several years ago. My best guess is that Parknoll was used for the test, to avoid any confusion with an actual emergency at an active school.

ron351

Feed Provider
I am still messing with the Yagi antenna. I read where 10 degrees clockwise from the tower is a excellent place to aim to avoid other tower pickups and garbled radio. Now this sounds good but how does one tell the exact aiming to the first district radio tower? I can not seem to find a degrees where the tower is to be able to use a compass and aim 10 degrees clockwise from the tower.
Basically saying is first district police station and tower is at 3895 W 130th St, Cleveland, OH 44111 and I use a compass, where can I find what degrees this location is say it is 85 degrees then I can aim my antenna 75 degrees and try that as a hopeful sweet spot to start with. In the image shows police tower and house so if I know where to find the degrees of the tower on a compass I will be good82102

Last edited:

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
A 10 degree variation in your heading seems pretty broad but hey, what do I know. I live in an Eastern suburb of Cleveland and all I’m using is a discone antenna up about 50 feet but I get awesome coverage of GCRCN, Cuyahoga Valley, Westshore and MARCS IP. Good luck with your project Ron!
I am still messing with the Yagi antenna. I read where 10 degrees clockwise from the tower is a excellent place to aim to avoid other tower pickups and garbled radio. Now this sounds good but how does one tell the exact aiming to the first district radio tower? I can not seem to find a degrees where the tower is to be able to use a compass and aim 10 degrees clockwise from the tower.
Basically saying is first district police station and tower is at 3895 W 130th St, Cleveland, OH 44111 and I use a compass, where can I find what degrees this location is say it is 85 degrees then I can aim my antenna 75 degrees and try that as a hopeful sweet spot to start with. In the image shows police tower and house so if I know where to find the degrees of the tower on a compass I will be goodView attachment 82102

Swipesy

Ron, I am sure you know this that a YAGI is not solely one direction. It receives off the front, side and back just at different strengths. My personal opinion that 10 degrees or any other is wasting your time since depending where the other towers are that the YAGI may hear impacts what the radio will hear. My many years of fooling with YAGI's on MARCS and GCRCN has been just moving the front of the YAGI in the general direction of the tower you want the most until you find a sweet spot. Don't be surprise if the next day after finding the sweet spot it no longer is sweet. So many atmospheric happenings can change your reception.

ron351

Feed Provider
W8KIC I have a discone also, it did quite good for about 2 years, then started hit miss in and out so I bought a new discone and it worked ok, but still times of garble. Thats when I got the yagi and it seems harder to get that sweet spot. Both are in a attic so guess I just have to mess with it a little. I am close to being in the middle of both 1st district and 2nd district so maybe some of the issues since I am not close to just 1.

ron351

Feed Provider
Ron, I am sure you know this that a YAGI is not solely one direction. It receives off the front, side and back just at different strengths. My personal opinion that 10 degrees or any other is wasting your time since depending where the other towers are that the YAGI may hear impacts what the radio will hear. My many years of fooling with YAGI's on MARCS and GCRCN has been just moving the front of the YAGI in the general direction of the tower you want the most until you find a sweet spot. Don't be surprise if the next day after finding the sweet spot it no longer is sweet. So many atmospheric happenings can change your reception.
Swipesy thanks, being in the middle or close to both districts is probably why it is a little harder to get a good spot. Plus being simulcast don't help, I seen where many say a 200 I think it was scanner eliminates this a lot on simulcast but if all else fails I may have to dish out the 700 bucks and try that

Nasby

Swipesy thanks, being in the middle or close to both districts is probably why it is a little harder to get a good spot. Plus being simulcast don't help, I seen where many say a 200 I think it was scanner eliminates this a lot on simulcast but if all else fails I may have to dish out the 700 bucks and try that

An SDS100 / 200 will cure your simulcast blues.