Greater Hartford GMRS Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Hello everyone,
I was wondering exactly how the GMRS repeater works? Do I just tune into channel 19, (462.650) and start transmitting, or are their steps that I have to preform on my MR350 to be able to use the repeater? ( I'm in range of the "Greater Hartford GMRS" repeater). myGMRS.com - GREATER HARTFORD GMRS: Hartford, CT
Thanks in advance.

mbnv992

I know the power of that repeater ( set up out of Hartford ). ( Johnny AKA "000" ) super nice guy, he's installed a CDM1550 in my brand new F-350 5-6 years back. Although I haven't herd him, or Mike on the air for quite some time. I'm also on from time to time, although with my portable I can't quite hit the repeater from my place out in Vernon.

JMA

Repeater

I was monitoring that repeater the other day and did not hear much traffic. Probably a slow day.

I noticed the repeater can be hit from Middletown, where I live, with as little as 1.5 watts.

Nontheless, I think it's pretty cool a GMRS repeater is available for those licensed folks who can enjoy it.

73s

Attachments

• REPEATER.JPG
    REPEATER.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,734

scanner404

Feed Provider
So what channel/frequency do I need to be on in order to transmit on this repeater and what is the output channel that I would hear my transmission being repeated on? Can I use a regular 2 way radio? Yes I have a license.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Did you click on the link I posted?
Yes I did and I saw that the input freq. of 467.650, is not one of the frequencies(Channels) my walkie talkies are able to get. I only recieve the FRS and GMRS channels of 1-22. I have a MR350 Talkabout.

scanningisfun

Yes I did and I saw that the input freq. of 467.650, is not one of the frequencies(Channels) my walkie talkies are able to get. I only recieve the FRS and GMRS channels of 1-22. I have a MR350 Talkabout.

A common 22 channel walkie-talkie will not be able to access the repeater as they usually run simplex. The output of the frequency for the repeater is 462.650. The offset for the input is +5 MHz. This means that it is paired with 467.550, obviously. 467.550 is a GMRS channel used for repeater input but you will have to get a GMRS radio meant to work with repeaters. Motorola still sells consumer grade radios that work with GMRS repeaters. On those radios, you just go to the output frequency/channel and turn the repeater function on. It will then transmit +5 MHz from what channel you were on. The Hartford GMRS repeater is channel 19R.

If you go to the Moto consumer radio page, you can click on the different models and it will say if they are capable of accessing repeaters instead of simplex on GMRS. You don't have to get consumer radios, though.

Jacob

SCPD

QRT
It would be very hard to hit that repeater now. the owner (johnny) has moved out west roughly 2/3 years ago. There are other repeaters in the area but you do need the owners permission to use them. As stated before the proper GMRS license is required for most of the area repeaters but contacting the owners is not that hard to do and when using some one elses equipment is the proper and respectful thing to do anyways

mbnv992

It would be very hard to hit that repeater now. the owner (johnny) has moved out west roughly 2/3 years ago. There are other repeaters in the area but you do need the owners permission to use them. As stated before the proper GMRS license is required for most of the area repeaters but contacting the owners is not that hard to do and when using some one elses equipment is the proper and respectful thing to do anyways

Wow, Johnny moved out west ? Where have I been ? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.