Greatest Guitarists of all time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

If you do a Google search on the best guitarist of all time, the overwhelming answer is Jimmy Hendrix. Here is a list of voters for just the Rolling Stone survey and many of them were listed as #1 in this thread but they all picked Hendrix. In older surveys all the best currently dead guitarists also voted for Hendrix.

Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)
prcguy

bharvey2

If you do a Google search on the best guitarist of all time, the overwhelming answer is Jimmy Hendrix. Here is a list of voters for just the Rolling Stone survey and many of them were listed as #1 in this thread but they all picked Hendrix. In older surveys all the best currently dead guitarists also voted for Hendrix.
While I have no doubt that what you state above is true, I've never quite understood this. While Hendrix was a competent guitarist and quite the showman, I've never considered him "the best" To be honest, I don't really subscribe to the notion of there being a "best guitarist" though certainly a favorite. I've been playing guitar for over 40yrs (wow, I think I have mixed feelings about saying that now that I see it in print) and have followed and studied a lot of guitarists, including Jimi. The man had style to be sure. Just can't see him as "best" though.

Hmmm, this might get me moved to the Rant section or I could get kicked off of RR completely for uttering such blasphemy.

prcguy

Blasphemy! Stone him!!!
Hendrix invented so much stuff you have to give him credit even though others copied and took his ideas to a higher level. Imagine what the guy would be doing today if he were still alive.

In other interviews I've seen Clapton, Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Keith Richard and most of the greatest players all point to Hendrix as the best.
prcguy

While I have no doubt that what you state above is true, I've never quite understood this. While Hendrix was a competent guitarist and quite the showman, I've never considered him "the best" To be honest, I don't really subscribe to the notion of there being a "best guitarist" though certainly a favorite. I've been playing guitar for over 40yrs (wow, I think I have mixed feelings about saying that now that I see it in print) and have followed and studied a lot of guitarists, including Jimi. The man had style to be sure. Just can't see him as "best" though.

Hmmm, this might get me moved to the Rant section or I could get kicked off of RR completely for uttering such blasphemy.

Peerlessk

subjective thread.

historically..... Hendrix tops the list . couldn't sing for **** not to me anyways

Metal zak wylde metal guitar god yet no mention . but mentioned by the best of them as better then they . flight of the bumblebee live 2009 ozzfest as thousands stood with their jaws on the ground . I'm biased

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
Hendrix, no way! Phil Keaggy would eat eat him alive. Keaggy is an master guitarist, bar none, period! Check him out on youtube.
I heard they asked Eddie Van Halen how it felt to be the best guitar player in the world and he said 'I don't know, you'll have to ask Phil Keaggy'. I believe it was in Cream magazine but I can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.