Grecom psr-500 - No Regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
I live in Ontario, Canada and mostly listen to the OPP (P25). I decided to buy the Grecom psr-500. Friends told me not to waste my money, because the OPP would encrypt in the near future. I have used that radio almost daily for the past eight years. When I bought it, I figured that if they did encrypt, I would just discount the radio and sell it on eBay.

I've had a lot of scanners, but this one is solid, problem free and has been carried with me on my travels almost daily. I don't know why I am posting this, except to say I was right and it is a great radio. It is almost too good, because I can't justify replacing it. It still does everything I need and gives me all the control I need to optimize it to my needs. I have banks tweaked for roaming and others for local reception.

Dugan

Owner of too many old scanners to list and of course the PSR-500

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I think the PSR-500 was the best handheld trunking scanner ever made. I bought one of the early ones, and (sadly) sold it years later only because it was eventually unable to handle the LSM systems here. I put many many miles on mine.

Good choice!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PSR 500

My RS version was purchased the year it came out and still works well. Although it does not handle simulcast as well as my newer radios, it is great for quick checks and searches due to almost zero boot time and less complexity that many of the digital scanners.

DJ11DLN

A good friend of mine likes to say, "If it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid." Not calling your radio stupid by any means, but it works for you and you are happy with it, so that's all that really matters. I have a couple of the RS versions myself and they are my favorite scanners, probably will be until p.2 makes them obsolete (if it ever does). Glad to hear yours is still doing its job.:D

bigcam406

my first digital scanner was the 500 as well.like the OP,it has been used for scanning OPP and when our area changed over with some new digital freq's,it was a snap to program them in.i also find it is great for scanning western New York freq's as well.the sensitivity is fantastic.i have never had a problem with this scanner in over the 6 yrs i have owned it.when i saw that GRE was going under,i was trying to find the 600 base model,as i wanted one to listen to at work.took me awhile to find one,as they got bought up pretty quick after GRE's announcement.i found a vendor up here who had 1 left and got it for a great price.the 600 is and has been rock solid as well,never had a problem.as the OP said,"no regrets".best scanners ever made IMO.

kf7yn

I bought my PSR-500 at least 8 years ago to replace my Pro-96. I use it daily and it has never let me down. Without a doubt it's the best handheld I've ever owned in 40 years of scanning and dozens of various scanners over the years. It works great on our simulcast system here in Utah. I had a BCD436 and a Home Patrol extreme which both were sold,. Meanwhile, the 500 keeps plugging along flawlessly.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
+1 for me too... I grabbed a Pro-106 when they first came out and I've used it basically daily ever since. Lots of other scanners have come and gone since then, but I love my 106.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That radio is a workhorse. I have the RS Pro-106 and use it daily. From work I stream/control it back at the house using Don's Win500 software.

I even purchased a NIB GRE PSR-500 from a radio shop a year ago or so for some crazy low price. It sits in the box waiting to go into service if the Pro-106 gives up the ghost.Well, it is taken out from time to time and the programming is mirrored so it is up-to-date with the Pro.

larry308

I have 2 GRE PSR-500's and a PRO -106 ,purchased new when they came out. They still work great along side with my Whistler WS-1080 and WS-1088. My Uniden BCD436 is a cow paddie beside any of them.

Ed6698

My PSR 500 was my favorite scanner at one time, got mine about 3 months before the news came down that GRE was getting out. I still use it occasionally, as the county I live in is running a Phase II system now, so the 500 sits unused more. I remember before getting it, I researched the 500 and one of the Uniden models for quite a while, for some reason I decided to get the 500. Never have any issue with it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.