GREctomy: 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Although I will give GRE/Whistler their credit for having radios with great volume, I have now decided that this company is going to have to really step up to the plate to knock a home run like Uniden.

This radio is everything I wanted in a radio and then some.

On Phase II linear distortion, it nails the signal, every time. No longer do I have to listen to my PSR 500 experience "psychotic ambivalence" when it encounters linear simulcast. It just can't handle this situation.

I've not learned all about my radio yet; however, it is nice to go to a city after forgetting to program and being able to load a zip code. Nice, very nice.

Furthermore, I've not even started to use the GPS function of this 436HP.

I'm not going to say this radio does not need some adjustments like adding an external speaker for highway noisy vehicles, but that is an easy fix. No, the display is not easy to see, but miracles happen when you move the driver's seat forward a bit.

Bravo, Uniden. You are now my main radio company. You deserve an applause.

Last edited:

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I found buying one of those old cassette plug in thingys like you'd use on XM works great. I tried an amplified speaker and it picked up engine noise real bad making the audio unreadable.

Bought this thing and put cassette in the player and plugged 3.5 jack into adapter on 436 and now have audio through my car speakers. Only thing I can't find out how to do is get it to play on all speakers instead of just front left. Then again that works since that is where I am. :)

Amazon.com: Philips USA PH-62050 CD/MP3/MD-To-Cassette Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Car Electronics

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Front Left

I found buying one of those old cassette plug in thingys like you'd use on XM works great. I tried an amplified speaker and it picked up engine noise real bad making the audio unreadable.

Bought this thing and put cassette in the player and plugged 3.5 jack into adapter on 436 and now have audio through my car speakers. Only thing I can't find out how to do is get it to play on all speakers instead of just front left. Then again that works since that is where I am. :)

Amazon.com: Philips USA PH-62050 CD/MP3/MD-To-Cassette Adapter (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Car Electronics

I usually get the front left when I run the mono signal into a stereo, from the scanner. But, this was on a PSR 500. I"ve not tried my 436 yet.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I usually get the front left when I run the mono signal into a stereo, from the scanner. But, this was on a PSR 500. I"ve not tried my 436 yet.

Sounds exactly the same as what's happening with mine. Tried it with and without the adapter you're supposed to use without any difference.

Let me know if you would if you find a solution.

Thanks

Hit_Factor

Only thing I can't find out how to do is get it to play on all speakers instead of just front left. Then again that works since that is where I am. :)

If this isn't the plug adapter issue.

There may be a screw on it someplace for aligning the head (possibly accessible while in the player). It's been awhile since I used one of those. Also try flipping it over, sometimes the wire can be routed to either side.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Adapter Clarification

Sounds exactly the same as what's happening with mine. Tried it with and without the adapter you're supposed to use without any difference.

Let me know if you would if you find a solution.

Thanks

I am a bit confused, "tried it with and without the adapter." I don't understand what adapter you're talking about. Are you talking about the adapter for the cassette player? Or, are you talking about an adapter to plug in between the MP3 input of my Kenwood Stereo and the 436?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GRE vs Uniden comparison

Comparing the 486 to the 500 is like comparing it to the 396. In case you missed it, GRE made the PSR 800, which also has Phase II capability. My 800 runs rings around both my 396xt and Pro 500 on simulcast,and the system where I live is considered one of the hardest to monitor. The technology is years apart and hardly an accurate comparison.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
If this isn't the plug adapter issue.

There may be a screw on it someplace for aligning the head (possibly accessible while in the player). It's been awhile since I used one of those. Also try flipping it over, sometimes the wire can be routed to either side.

Thanks will try that.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I am a bit confused, "tried it with and without the adapter." I don't understand what adapter you're talking about. Are you talking about the adapter for the cassette player? Or, are you talking about an adapter to plug in between the MP3 input of my Kenwood Stereo and the 436?

The 436 requires a stereo to mono adapter per UPMan and that is what I was referring to.

Amazon.com: Monoprice 107160 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 3.5mm Mono Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated: Electronics

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
If I am understanding the issue correctly, this adaptor should fix the problem.

C2G 3.5mm Stereo Female to 3.5mm Mono Male Adapter 03174 B&H

Timothy

Possibly. It needs some kind. I remember something about the black bands on the plug. This one has one and the one I bought has two on it. Just can't remember which was the required one now.

Hope since I bought the two banded one that I got the right one but its been a while since I purchased the thing.

Funny thing is that this one and the one I bought are the same adapter from what it says yet the number of bands is different.

Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.