GREEN at this...any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I moved to the Charlotte area from Los Angeles and recently purchased a Radio Shack Pro-97 Triple Trunking Scanner. I looked for frequencies on the web and found some, but if anyone has time and is willing to send some tips that would helpful to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm in the Huntersville area...my goals are to monitor:

-Police Dispatch & Car to Car
-Fire Dispatch & Radio to Radio
-News Agency Dispatch
-Medivac Helicopters
-Severe Weather

The scanner has some pre-programmed freqs. and I have the WX button for weather.

I am somewhat familiar with basic programming etc, but have never used/understood trunking.

Again, any tips you can provide would be so helpful...thanx much!

Brian in Charlotte,
www.VoiceOverforyou.com

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion the best thing is to get the usb cable and software for that scanner..It is soo much faster to program with the software.I dont have that scanner but there all kinda the same

I have a pro 93 , pro 95 and a uniden br330t all with cables and software..

nexus

like dave said... go to radio shack and buy the serial cable for the scanner. Part number is 20-289 http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=20-289&origkw=20-289 it'll set you back 10 bucks. Then go to http://www.starrsoft.com/software/win97/default.asp and download the FREE PRO-97 programming software by starsoft.

With those two things, and a PC you'll have everything you need programmed into the scanner with ease. It's a hell of a lot quicker and easier to use the software versus the keypad. So you're only looking at a 10 dollar investment. Oh and then of course go to the link that bonus gave you for that county. All of the info you'll ever need will be right here on the DATABASE.

A ton of Thanx

Folks, thank you for taking a moment to help steer me in the right direction...off to Radio Shack I go!!!!

Software and Cable Ready

bonus1331 said:
Once you get the software, a couple of kind folks in the area have already created systems for the Charlotte area using the WIN97 software for the Pro-97.
You will install the data in the same file that the WIN97 database is placed.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24948

Again...THANKS for the help.

I downloaded the 30 day trial of Win97 and have my serial cable set up on a WindowsXP machine...now what in the world do I do? Do I have to go find the frequencies and type them in then import? I don't have a clue where to get them etc. (WAY NEW AT THIS).

I am in Huntersville, NC and as I had mentioned, I want to listen to Fire/Police/Air Traffic etc...dispatch, car to car etc.

Thanks a ton for the assistance!!

Brian

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a few win97 files with the entire Charlotte/meck system. I'll try to post one within a day or two. That will give you a good starting point.

Maybe one of the mods can move this to the NC forum?

Last edited:
Thanks Grog

I appreciate your help. I guess I would download the file and then drag it into my Win97 then upload to my scanner?

nexus

that's the beauty of Starsoft's WIN97 program. Someone else can create a scanner list, upload the very small data file it creates, and then all you have to do is run your copy of win97 and open the file which you downloaded that someone else made.

It will display everything in the win97 program, and then all you have to do is just upload to the scanner. Real simple..

step 1. download P97 file from Brian save onto your desktop or something.
step 2. run WIN97 software, click File, and OPEN and then select the P97 file you downloaded.
step 3. click UPLOAD TO SCANNER from inside WIN97.

And thats it.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Bank 8 is CMPD, everything else is in Bank 9. If I get a chance, I can try to split in up into more banks if you need any help.

Attachments

• To send to RR.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 75
This is working GREAT!

I did just as you guys directed...couldn't have been easier! I now need to go through everything to see exactly what I have on the scanner. I want to make sure I have the emergency helicopters and air traffic around as well etc.

Thanks so much! Not sure what type of business you folks are in, but if I can be of any help, please visit my site at www.VoiceOverforyou.com

nexus

Brian, thats pretty COOL! I've heard your voice too. That's pretty wild to have direct communication with someone who is heard by so many people in the us.

I work in law enforcement in Biloxi MS. The diversity here is quite interesting. One of our members works for Uniden, he's management in the scanning side of the company, so a lot of things that go into their products actually come from the suggestions, gripes, ideas and from here. heh. I guess you never know who you're going to meet on radioreference

It's good to meet you guys! Heck, I know it's hot in SoCal because I still stay in very close contact with everyone since our move from Los Angeles and Biloxi...dang I"m sure that's warm and we are DEFINATELY hot here in Charlotte...upper 90's for next 5 days!!

Have a super Saturday evening and thanks again!

nexus

I'm inside where it's a cool 72 LOL. I wouldn't know. I haven't been outside since I got home from work at 8 this morning. In all honesty, I think it's been fairly mild compared to what everyone else has been going through. I haven't seen any of the heat waves that people are talking about. 80's and 90's mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.