Greenacres FL PD Decides Not To Go Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
In the last month the Greenacres Police Department in Palm Beach County has decided to stay on the County's Motorola SmartZone 3.0 System and has broken its ties with the MPSCC that has been attempting to deploy a M/A Com Open Sky System for some of the other municipalities.

The attached article is a synopsis of the Council meeting from last month.

Attachments

• Greenacres (FL) Police Dept..jpg
    Greenacres (FL) Police Dept..jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 506

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Mark, is West Palm Beach city still intending to switch to Open Sky? What is the status of that?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
They have some channels on the air but I'm un aware of the migration status.

gcr33

Proving that P T Barnum was right. You can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time. Those poor people in WPB are going to be sorry and I feel worse for the taxpayers who are throwing out a working system that is paid for.

WPB what are you thinking?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Proving that P T Barnum was right. You can fool all of the people some of the time or some of the people all of the time. Those poor people in WPB are going to be sorry and I feel worse for the taxpayers who are throwing out a working system that is paid for.

WPB what are you thinking?

I feel even worse for the WPB LEO that currently has county-wide comms on the Common Talk-Groups will go backward to a fully regional operation dependent on AT&T T-1's with no fallback.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is there a newspaper link to this story---OR can someone post it so it can be read????

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I tried to post the pdf but it kept getting saved as a jpg. Don't know why that is happening.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
No such option exists, at least not for me.

If an Admin can help to post it I'll e-mail it direct for posting assistance because it didn't work twice.

Mark

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Thanks for doing that. I didn't check the links after I posted them due to the lil ones required my attention.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
"But everything their system offered has fallen through," Greenacres councilman Richard Radcliffe concluded June 16 before voting to stick with the county's less glamorous analog system.

Hey Mark...I guess having a kick ass analog system that works seemlessly throughout the county isn't as glamorous as the p.o.s. digital opensky crap that has yet to work correctly.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yep but what ya gonna do....All I can say is that they are dropping one by one so in the end it will probably be just the three (West Palm PD, Gardens PD, and Palm Beach PD&FD). Atlantis was hoping that Greenacres would stay so they could utilize their frequencies and we all saw where Greenacres went. I don't know where this leaves them except to license a channel of their own and put it on roof of JFK Hospital that is on the boarder of their small town.

gcr33

The WPB person or persons who are making these decsions must be up to something.
I personally believe they are wanting to keep the scanner users out. Would not encryption have done the same at a much lower and proven cost?
There is no sane reason to go with a system that has not been able to prove itself. NYS it has failed and of course in PA it's beyond a joke.
I just wonder if the buzz word interoperability means anything to the WPB-PB-PBG people?

Status
Not open for further replies.