Greene County now 700mhz digi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2crk

Greene county GA has switch to their 700mhz digital as of 9/27/2011.
I thought it was strangely quiet on their vhf freqs after last wed. and i got confirmation from one of the county fire chiefs' the fire and ems page out are still vhf as the minitors are still in use.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Greene county GA has switch to their 700mhz digital as of 9/27/2011.
I thought it was strangely quiet on their vhf freqs after last wed. and i got confirmation from one of the county fire chiefs' the fire and ems page out are still vhf as the minitors are still in use.

who's DTRS did they merge or join with?

kb2crk

I am not sure if they joined or started their own. Oconee county is supposed to be going on the same system in the future. I believe this is the start of the OARS system that was mentioned in another post a few months ago. from what i understand the sheriffs dept. has the capability of going encrypted but have not done it yet.
they are also using handhelds at this time and depending on how well they work they may not put mobile radios in the patrol cars. The FCC has there license info on file for the system.

They are using motorola radios on the system.

AerialEars

Oconee County has the infrastructure in place and working. I've heard there's no money to buy 700 MHz mobile or handheld radios.

nunyax

I started monitoring Greene's new system last night and here's what I've heard so far:

36000 GCSO Dispatch - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted
36001 - unidentified and encrypted
36010 Greensboro PD? (2xx unit numbers) - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36020 Union Point PD? (3xx unit numbers) - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36021 - unidentified and encrypted
36030 - Fire Dispatch - no encryption; poor audio quality (VHF simulcast?)
36040 - EMS Dispatch - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36042 - unidentified and encrypted.

Also, Greene County has some videos posted here from their Nov. Open House for the new radio system.

kb2crk

I started monitoring Greene's new system last night and here's what I've heard so far:

36000 GCSO Dispatch - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted
36001 - unidentified and encrypted
36010 Greensboro PD? (2xx unit numbers) - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36020 Union Point PD? (3xx unit numbers) - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36021 - unidentified and encrypted
36030 - Fire Dispatch - no encryption; poor audio quality (VHF simulcast?)
36040 - EMS Dispatch - dispatcher is clear, units are encrypted.
36042 - unidentified and encrypted.

Also, Greene County has some videos posted here from their Nov. Open House for the new radio system.

Fire is a VHF simulcast for the minitor pagers. the fire fighters are having fits as the vhf simulcast breaks up on scene

nunyax

Fire is a VHF simulcast for the minitor pagers. the fire fighters are having fits as the vhf simulcast breaks up on scene

I was aware of that but the 700 audio sounds poor, almost like it's VHF tranmissions being rebroadcast on 700 instead of the other way around. And it's not just the firefighters, the dispatcher sounds that way as well, unlike the dispatchers on the other talkgroups. Which VHF frequency are they simulcasting on?

Also, I haven't heard any public works on it yet but the county's web page states that both the county and Greensboro public works are using it. Have they not switched yet?

Thanks,

kb2crk

I was aware of that but the 700 audio sounds poor, almost like it's VHF tranmissions being rebroadcast on 700 instead of the other way around. And it's not just the firefighters, the dispatcher sounds that way as well, unlike the dispatchers on the other talkgroups. Which VHF frequency are they simulcasting on?

Also, I haven't heard any public works on it yet but the county's web page states that both the county and Greensboro public works are using it. Have they not switched yet?

Thanks,

I dont know about the public works other than I heard their part of the system is not working yet and they had already removed the old radios from the trucks leaving them with out radio comms for now. from what i understand the fire VHF frequency is the same as they were using prior to the switch over. Siloam VFD still has its own VHF repeater and they still use it. they also kept the VHF radios in the trucks as their rescue unit answers calls in talliaferro county on I-20. I work with several firefighters in greene county and one is Siloams fire chief..

nunyax

most of the fire depts. are not using the tac frequencies on scene yet as not all of the firefighters have the new radios yet.

Stations 1 and 9 were using it last night for 2 different structure fires. That explains the poor audio I heard last week as it sounded like VHF transmissions being reboadcast on 700 on fire dispach. The radio traffic I've heard on 36030 since then has sounded normal.

kb2crk

Stations 1 and 9 were using it last night for 2 different structure fires. That explains the poor audio I heard last week as it sounded like VHF transmissions being reboadcast on 700 on fire dispach. The radio traffic I've heard on 36030 since then has sounded normal.

Station 9 is old salem by the lake and they are a partially paid dept. The chief there has a bad habit of turning the paid truck around when backing up another dept. and waiting for the vols. She got into a little trouble last week as station 3 was fighting a fire and the on scene people could not hear each other as she was turning the truck around before getting to the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.