Greene County question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Greetings all,
Asking for a friend about Greene County and the Linton area.
His father has been a scanner listener for years and it is time to move to a Whistler or Uniden, which will offer more listening abilities.

Would someone be so kind as to fil us in on what systems the area uses? I see Phase 1 and also see Safe T. Is there much encryption in the area? I live in Tn and my area is almost al NXDN and scrambled.

Any help would sure be of benefit for a longtime listener.

Thsnks
Doug

evfd1625

Everything except county fire is NXDN, the county police departments are using encryption on VHF, but the P25 Safe T is in the clear. Ambulance and Linton fire are both NXDN. Linton fire uses analog for paging only, on a new frequency which I can't remember. Linton PD is VHF only now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

The state is planning on moving to p25 phase 2 eventually. So getting a scanner that supports that may be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

The state is planning on moving to p25 phase 2 eventually. So getting a scanner that supports that may be beneficial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2 on this, best to be future-proof, but with a caveat: Look at the recent upgrades. They were years behind schedule, and still are not nearly complete. P.2 we are told might be along by 2020...but will the whole Safe-T system go p.2 at the same time? I personally think it likely that if (very big if) in fact things do in fact start going p.2 by 2020, it will probably be state-level and large municipality stuff first. There may very well be a lot of p.1 still around 7-10 years from now, IMHO.

And if the party the OP is asking on behalf of is on a budget, there are a lot of good p.1 scanners available on the used market for decent prices, which might be a good place to start. But if funds aren't an issue, I of course second getting a good, up-to-date scanner with as many decoding modes as possible. Just a little perspective from someone who knows from painful experience what it's like to be "on a budget," i.e. broke.:D

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Status
Not open for further replies.