Greene County, Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaSheriff

What's going on with Greene County now? Does anybody know yet? Seems they have switched to a new radio system. The citizens can no longer hear them.

pogbobo

have a look at this thread

http://forums.radioreference.com/virginia-radio-discussion-forum/209768-orange-county-virginia.html

looks like Greene hasn't changed anything, they just don't have much to say :cool:

I also poked around ULS, and the only thing I found of interest was a pending application related to narrowbanding for Fire/Rescue

keep an ear out, maybe someone will break the silence! If not, maybe they did switch something up ... I think I'm too far north to hear Greene, but I'll try

VaSheriff

Ohh, they have changed something. There's nothing on their old frequency now except a birdie being sent out every few seconds. A dispatcher told me they have gone to digital and that the license is in the name of Motorola, not Greene County.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Ohh, they have changed something. There's nothing on their old frequency now except a birdie being sent out every few seconds. A dispatcher told me they have gone to digital and that the license is in the name of Motorola, not Greene County.

Have you looked at the FCC database? There are a few frequencies not listed int he RR DB. Looks like they were issued a new license on 3/19/2010 under the call of WQLP372 (under GREENE, COUNTY OF, not Motorola. Motorola doesn't show up with anything licensed in VA. Motorola probably sold them the radios, ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - WQLP372 - GREENE, COUNTY OF). Its looks like they added a few new frequencies and are re-using a few. When I first looked at it, I had my emission types mixed up. Someone may want to look at it closer.

Ones not listed in the RR DB:

If you have or buy a new digital scanner:
1. Put in everything in the RR DB as analog and digital
2. Make a new group/scanlist and put in everything not listed in the RRDB but listed in the FCC DB as analog and digital.

If you only have an analog scanner, put everything not listed in the RR DB but in the FCC DB and if you hear a bunch of noise, they are probably digital. If they did go digital, post here what you find and maybe someone can verify with a digital scanner and also see if they are encrypted (before you rush out and spend $400-500 on a new scanner that really won't help you any).

Hopefully for you, maybe they just moved to a new frequency for most transmissions.

Last edited:

VaSheriff

Thanks, Mike. I am still looking into the entire situation.

I will post if I find out what is going on.

The outgoing sheriff probably didn't want people to hear them. The new sheriff who took over on Jan 1, 2012 may let me know something shortly.

Last edited:

gcgrotz

How in the world did they find that many VHF channels with STARS around???

I get up there often, I will have to take a few minutes and try those frequencies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
How in the world did they find that many VHF channels with STARS around???

I get up there often, I will have to take a few minutes and try those frequencies.

And the most amazing thing is I live no where close to Greene Co. and I never left my desk at home!! :) I used the FCC search feature from the RR database home page under "Search FCC Data". I just searched for "Greene" in Virginia. I then went through and compared what was listed in the FCC database to what was in the RR database. To have access to that part of RR, you need a premium account, which you have.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Mike, what I think he meant was that STARS took up so many of the previously available VHF frequencies in Virginia, he was surprised there were enough around for Greene County to get all those new ones. ;-)

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Mike, what I think he meant was that STARS took up so many of the previously available VHF frequencies in Virginia, he was surprised there were enough around for Greene County to get all those new ones. ;-)

I just read it again and you're right. I hope one of those are what the op was looking for.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
What model scanner? It may not be digital. Someone else will need to help you with that software. I'm more used to FreeSCAN and ProScan for the Unidens.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
In the software I am using, I don't see a way to specify digital or analog.

Win96 and Win500

For Win500, go to the frequency and change the mode to "Auto" and the Squelch to "Search". This way it should pick up P25 or analog, until things can be identified.

gcgrotz

Yes Mike, that is what I meant re: STARS. They used so many freqs they had to get a waiver to use splits in the Marine band!

As for actually listening, I don't get a good signal at home from Greene. Maybe someone else can hear it better before I can run up there next week.

StephenVa

Been listening for a few and sounds the same as the mototrbo I hear on orange sheriff and orange pd.

Status
Not open for further replies.