Greensboro 152.540

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing a P25 conventional repeater on 152.540, that is coming in full scale in Greensboro. Sounds like Law Enforcement comms. My first thought was that it was part of a new STARS site up in Virginia, as I heard several references to places that sounded like the Henry County, VA area, but it is obviously not trunked.

Anyone have any idea who this is and what NAC they are using?

glc

I checked the FCC data base and they don't list any licensee in N.C on this frequency. However they do show the Virginia State P.D. on this freq., but list the location as Richmond. You may want to ask this question in the Virginia forum.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> However they do show the Virginia State P.D. on this freq., but list the location as Richmond.

"Richmond" is the location for the licensee - the Commonwealth of Va., not the frequency location.

The frequency is licensed to be used on a site in the Jefferson National Forest (Brumley Mtn) in Washington County, near Abingdon and I-81.

Even though the frequency is part of a trunked site, Jake, you might have been montioring a phone interconnect conversation (not to be confused with a private line call). Interconnect calls link a radio user to someone using a traditional wired or wireless phone. The calls can be setup to link via specific frequencies assigned to the site, and can also be programmed to maintain the call on the specific frequency for the duration of the call.

152.540 is a valid frequency, and so is 152.5475 MHz. The Va. RR database shows three sites listed as using 152.5475. I originally thought you might have been hearing adjacent frequency comms off of one of those three sites, as the STARS system is still not licensed for narrow-band F.M. modulation.

Unfortunately, the FCC ULS database shows no current or past licenses covering 152.5475 in Va., and the RR site info for the STARS sites listed in the database is missing any license details.

It would be kind of ironic if 152.540 was being used for a STARS phone interconnect frequency. Before cellular, that frequency was one of the outbound channels used in the day of radio phones. There are still some companies offering radiophone service ... often in rural areas still untouched by cellular service.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
I posted the info related to this in the VA forum, looks like it might be outta GA...What kind of antenna are you using?
Im only a couple miles away from Brumley Mtn, :p I'll keep an ear out JIK

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber

I'm also pretty sure this is Henry Co VA. It has a NAC of 500 which is consistent with what I've have found on their other frequency of 155.610 and their Parks and Recreation department frequency of 155.520, both have the same NAC. I remember reading awhile back that they were upgrading to a VHF simulcast system. The Sheriff's Department had pretty much went silent on 155.610 and it appears this is where they went.

SD70MAC

Nac

I'm also pretty sure this is Henry Co VA. It has a NAC of 500 which is consistent with what I've have found on their other frequency of 155.610 and their Parks and Recreation department frequency of 155.520, both have the same NAC. I remember reading awhile back that they were upgrading to a VHF simulcast system. The Sheriff's Department had pretty much went silent on 155.610 and it appears this is where they went.

The 500 NAC is right ,they came through this morning using that NAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.