Greenville Co Sheriff 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrySC

I had lunch today with the comms sargent. He said they plan to use their 800 on a more regular basis. I didnt bother to tell him I had been monitoring the vice/narc with lots of radio traffic. As a matter of fact it's 9:15pm now, and they are still going at it. At one point they had two ID's in use. Glad to see them using it. Lots of taxpayers $ going up in smoke for radios to sit in a chager and not being used when they pay big bucks for the Pal system.

rescuecomm

Costs them $14 for a single site, $19 for two sites per month whether you use them or not. I wonder what site Easley PD is using? Seems like the Paris Mtn site would be better. Glassy Mtn in Pickens County has some dead spots on VHF in the "hole" below the Silver Bay Restaurant. The 800 hole would be worse. I am wondering if the new water tank going up near the Silver Bay Restaurant is going to sport antennas?

Bob

LarrySC

Each users system has a Pri and usually two Sec tower sites. Grnvl Police is Paris Mtn Pri, Simpsonville and Anderson as Secondary. The Sec sites are to fill in shadows from the Pri site. If you have a map its easy to figure out.

SCPD

QRT
Larry, It's interesting that you mention that they will begin using them more frequently. I was just speaking with a close friend in the SO and he stated that there are only a few radios in use and they are giving them to a SGT/LT on each platoon. The uniform patrol and traffic guys are stuck on UHF because of the cost....
On a side note, I've been hearing the GPD guys complaining about poor service, and they dont like the new radios. That's a suprise to me, especially since Paris Mtn is in their back yard. If that's the case, I can only imagine how bad it will be across the county, especially up in the hills of Northern Greenville. But then again, maybe the S.O. knows something I dont....

LarrySC

The dif between City and Co is like day and nite. They've had 460 mHz radios for 35 years and never set up a common inter-channel. If the city chases someone into the co the co cars cant talk to the city. They claim the dispatchers are in the same room and good enough for them. The past week I've heard the Co using narc/vice 800 much more than before. They claim they are paying thru the nose for what they have and I guess they need to justify the cost by actually using the radios. The stubby 800 ant's on the city cars is part of the problem in poor signal. I put one on my truck and didnt like it. They need some of my 23" dual open coil 5db gain NMO 800 MAXRADs. Best Regards, Larry

Dolidis

Listening to transmissions on the GCSO 800 Narc/Vice channel right now. Interesting. :)

rescuecomm

I thought the 460.250 mhz upstate repeater was the official channel. Two years ago I was listening to Pickens County detectives following a vehicle into Greenville county. All comms were handled dispatch to dispatch over the phone. i guess all the technology in the world doesnt help if no training is ever done.

Bob

Dolidis

460.500 (chan2) and 460.525 (chan3) are the two "official" GCSO dispatch channels, as far as I know.

LarrySC

The 460.250 was the SC state regional for upstate departments to comms with the SC Hwy Patrol. That never did develope into anything of use. The mid state had a VHF and the Greenwood area had a 453.450 and Florence area had a 460 also. The Pal 800 ID of 31280 is used for that now across the state. Here again it is usually quiet with little usage.

rescuecomm

I spent some time looking at the 460.250 license on the ULS webpage. It was not clear whether the state still supports that repeater or if Greenville County has taken it over. So the 460.250 was only for dispatch to dispatch comms? In Pickens County, the frequency was setup as channel 5 on the deputies mobile and handheld radios.

1-460.450 dispatch
2-460.450 talkaround
3-460.150 Liberty/Pickens now on 453.2125 and 453.700
4-460.350
5-460.250
6-453.975

Because its in all the radios, I thought it was more or less an unofficial interop freq.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.