Greenville County PD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolidis

Hi all,

I recently got back into scanner listening and noticed the frequencies for the GCPD no longer work. I'm not very up-to-date on scanner technology, but I am assuming they went digital?

I found this on the site here - "Greenville PD now uses digital talkgroups on the Palmetto 800 TRS"

What exactly does that mean, and how can I counter this to hear from this frequency again?

Thanks.

Btw, I also have the complete list of 10 codes for the GCSO, GCPD & EMS if anyone would like them.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The least expensive digital capable scanner (there are no low end) is the radio shack Pro 96 handheld and Pro2096 base/mobile. They are on sale until the 1st of July for $399.99. LarrySC has a lot of info for that area, and he uses the pro96.

The unidens are right around $500-550.

Dolidis

Thanks. Is this "new" technology? Or are they just overpriced? What other features does that scanner offer?

Reason I ask is, I don't see the value of paying $400 for an extra four frequencies, especially when 99% of criminal activity heard in this area is rather uneventful.

Also, do you, or anyone else have a possible timeframe as to when all frequencies in this area will switch to digital?

Thanks!

Grog

Banned
Digital scanners have only been out for a few years (probably around 2000-2002 whenever the uniden 250 & 785 came out)

I don't clam to know everything about digital, but everything will probably have to switch over at some time. It might take 10-20 years, but like I said, I have no idea.

It's really the point of how bad do you want to listen to them?

If you get a cheaper trunktracking scanner, you'll be able to listen to a lot while just missing the digital talkgroups.

Dolidis

Thanks Grog.

Point taken. If this were NYC I'd definitely drop the $400 to hear the digital signals, but there's not alot of excitement around here.

Wonder if I could find some older cheaper models that pick up digital signals?

Grog

Banned
The oldest (the uniden 250 and 785) are still in the $300 range when they include the digital card. Just a note on those two, they required an optional card to recieve the digital signals. It's best to stick to the more modern scanners, as those two don't follow the newer 9600 baud trunking systems. I'm sure someone will correct me on that if i'm wrong :)

Any scanner purchase is subject to rebanding, which the newest uniden scanners are expected to survive, and the RS will probably make it as well.

The wiki has lots of info.

http://www.radioreference.com/wiki

Uniden wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_Scanners

Radio Shack Wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Radio_Shack_Scanners

Trunking wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Rebanding wiki
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

Dolidis

Thanks again Grog, I appreciate the time you've taken to get this info. I'll definitely look through it.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Several agencies in Upstate SC are exclusively digital - Greenville PD and FD, some agencies in Anderson Co., Laurens SD/PD/Clinton PD. Many others have digital tac channels. As agencies join the Palmetto 800 system in the future, they'll most likely be digital. Greenville Co. SD may make the transition soon. So the investment in a digital scanner is certainly not a frivolous one for this area.

If you expect to be a more advanced scanner listener in the future, the PRO-96 is a good choice. It offers a decent number of channels and talkgroup lists, tones, alpha-tags, v-folders, computer programmable, etc. and is generally considered user-friendly. And for the current $400 that's a good value. The (currently) higher-cost Unidens offer some additional bells and whistles that experienced listeners value but might confuse a new listener.

If you're not expecting to be a serious scanner listener, I agree that's a lot of $$ to spend on a radio. The PRO-97 could be a good alternative at $150. It gives you many of the same features as the PRO-96 without the cost of a digital radio. It'll let you monitor 85% of local traffic. Yes, there will be a further gradual transistion to digital communication, but a majority of the local comms will stay analog for quite a while.

There are numerous other trunk-tracking models that offer most or more features than the PRO-97, but it's a good value and easily available (at your local RS store). There's plenty of information on this site for you to make an informed decision.

You never told us what scanner model you're currently using.

Brian

Dolidis

I'm using a Uniden Bearcat handheld 30 channel 10 band. I've had several others, older than this one. Unable to locate a model # though. It's rather old as well.

My scanner is used only for police monitoring in my local area. GCSO, GPD.

So, I guess I have no alternative if I want to continue listening.

Dolidis

Eh, I gave in and bought the Pro 2026 base model for $399. Thanks for the info guys, glad to have caught this on sale.

Dolidis

I've yet to get into the manual in-depth, but I've programmed the Greenville Co. PD frequencies in, and still am not getting a signal.

Does the Pro 2026 receive transmissions on this "Palmetto 800" band?

Dolidis

So far, I'm assuming I need to program the trunk - ID program mode, base frequency, step and offset.

This is a bit overwhelming considering my experience with scanners.

Questions:

What is the ID Program mode for GCPD?
What is the base frequency for GCPD?
What is the step for the GCPD?
What is the offset for the GCPD?

Taken from this site:
"Greenville PD now uses digital talkgroups on the Palmetto 800 TRS.

Frequency Input License Type Tone CH Description Mode
460.02500 465.02500 KRC618 R 127.3 PL 1 Greenville PD Traffic FM
460.05000 465.05000 KRC618 R 127.3 PL 2 Greenville PD Detectives FM
460.07500 465.07500 KRC618 R 127.3 PL 3 Greenville PD Dispatch FM
460.10000 465.10000 KRC618 R 127.3 PL 4 Greenville PD Alternate FM"

This a little background info on what I'm used to, and what I want to achieve.

I'd like to be able to just scan the 8 freqencies of the GCSO and GPD. Since the GCSO is not digital or whatever, and the GPD is...will I be able to scan both sets of frequencies in succession?

Or will I have to switch back and forth between modes to hear one or the other? That is, if I even get this far.

Thanks for any help you can other. And please simplify it if possible, as I'm not a guru by any means.

Last edited:

LarrySC

Go to Masters Electronics on E. Washington St near Laurens Rd or to CB World in Mauldin and ask for the Radio Research Yellow Freq Book. ALL Greenville and other counties listed in the 68 pages. If you need help, then call me at 246-3261 Larry

Dolidis

Thanks Larry.

I may be confused but I *think* I have the frequencies.

GCSO frequencies work, on my old analog and the new digital scanner.

GCPD frequencies don't work, and I assumed it was because they were digital.
But with my new digital, they still are not picking up anything.

I'm gonna gather as much info as I can, because this is a big leap for me. But thanks, I may give you a call if I keep hitting dead ends.

Thanks again.

Grog

Banned
Geez Larry, could help someone atleast once without trying to plug your book?

Dolidis.....................

Palmettp 800 is the statewide trunking system that Greenville PD is on. You don't need their old UHF freqs. My advise is to download win96 and use the free trial to program your scanner. If you donate/buy a member**** to this site, you can use the web import feature to download everything directly to your computer.

If you want to program it by hand at 1st, I'm someone will help you futher with that. I don't have a 96/2096, so I'll defer to someone who can help further.

Your best bet is to program the County UHF freqs in one bank, and the Palmetto 800 info in another (with the Greenville Police talkgroups).

You need to program the freqs for the tower sites you are closest to, which assume might be the greenville tower. The main freqs you need to program are 859.9625 & 859.2625.

More Palmetto 800 info is here http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=429

Last edited:

Dolidis

Thanks Grog.

Is the information (Palmetto 800/Greenville PD) information available anywhere?

Am I understanding this right - search the 800.000 frequencies and up until I locate the frequencies the GPD operate on?

Grog

Banned

Dolidis

859.9625 & 859.26259 are constant garble noises, similar "white noise" from an TV.

:(

Dolidis

I see this from the link you gave me - "54768 d5f D Greenville PD Ch. 3 Dispatch "

How do I translate that into an actual frequency?

If it helps you, I am in the same county as the police dept. I am attempting to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.