Greenville County S.C. EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

master21

Premium Subscriber
Have anyone notice since December not being able to hear Greenville County EMS to Hospital? I used to hear EMS give out patient status to hospitals and arrival times but now I can only hear EMS being dispatched to calls but I can no longer hear patient status from EMS to hospital and arrival times anymore. I have a Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 with no luck!

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'm not aware that they're using a Palmetto 800 talkgroup for this purpose, despite that they now use Palmetto 800 for dispatch and operations.

Does anyone know if they still use one or more of the UHF Med channels for communications with ERs during transport? Or 155.340?

It's possible that they now use mobile phones for that purpose, but I don't have any information to support that idea.

master21

Premium Subscriber
Most of the EMS talk groups are on Palmetto 800 p25 I hear them talk only when they are being dispatched to a call or scene but not when they talk back to hospital giving patient status. I do hear them talk about the conditions of a location but no patient status.

master21

Premium Subscriber
I just spoke to an EMS friend of mine that works in the Greenville system. You are correct Brian, they now use cell phones because of the stricter HEPPA regulations.
Okay in the back of my mind I was thinking they may be using a private Zello network or something the new radio phones are becoming popular. I'm in Spartanburg and I listen to Greenville occasionally I still hear everything in Spartanburg hopefully no changes. Thanks for the info.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I just spoke to an EMS friend of mine that works in the Greenville system. You are correct Brian, they now use cell phones because of the stricter HEPPA regulations.
Thats just an excuse. HIPPA does not exempt you from having to use cell. Can call in via radio with age and sex and brief complaint which does not violate HIPPA

It is an excuse as HIPAA does allow exemptions in those cases. However, it can simply be easier for the medics to use the cell phone. Being able to have a conversation with the nurse/whoever is taking the report makes it more personable and can just flow better on their end.

rescuecomm

I know that the original post was about Greenville County EMS Medcom repeaters. However, Pickens County EMS units has been using cell phones for a while due to the limited range of the VHF to hospital radio.

Henderson county NC has been doing it for probably 10 years or more. They occasionally use VIPER but it’s usually due to them just being being able to dial the phone or something.

garys

Premium Subscriber
There is a specific exemption in the HIPAA regulations regarding emergency communications via radio. That said, some overly cautious risk managers advise their clients to either encrypt their communications or use cell phones, E Bridge, Twiage (really!) or some other cell based system for hospital notifications.

Thats just an excuse. HIPPA does not exempt you from having to use cell. Can call in via radio with age and sex and brief complaint which does not violate HIPPA

mckinscan

Feed Provider
I haven't listen to spartanburg ems to hospital in awhile as i remove the hospital TG from my scanner as i got tired of listen to them. and their is an ems in NC still used radio to contact Hospital via radio on NC 800 groups. they don't give out any name just the paintent status age and the health issue. on what they been transported to the hospital for.

master21

Premium Subscriber
I haven't listen to spartanburg ems to hospital in awhile as i remove the hospital TG from my scanner as i got tired of listen to them. and their is an ems in NC still used radio to contact Hospital via radio on NC 800 groups. they don't give out any name just the paintent status age and the health issue. on what they been transported to the hospital for.
I agree but at times when I see a emergency worker fly by me running code 3 sometimes I like to listen so instead of me deleting the TG I just put it in a separate bank so I can turn on and off as I choose.

mckinscan

Feed Provider
Spartanburg EMS still contact Spartanburg Regional and Mary Black on their Talkgroup med channel with Patient Reports but i haven't heard anything on Pelham Medical center (another Spartanburg Regional Own Hospital) talk group since i unlock it i think Regional 1 did used the spartanburg Regional Talk group to call in their Patient Report but i haven't heard them during the time i had them unlock and i locked them out again. unless they used the VHF 155.340 mhz

gosling1

Any update on this subject? Noticed where Greenville County EMS went QRT end of last year. However, was in a convenience store up here in Greenville last weekend and noticed an EMT using her 2-way....

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I hear them all the time on the Pal 800. Not much personal info of course ,but enough to let you know what is going on. Now if fire and EMS go to a Tac channel or Ops as they call it here, all fire and EMS is heard. Just listened to a crash on Hwy11 in Cleveland tonight and heard alot of stuff including, patient conditions and the Duke energy truck number.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
One thing I will say is the time wasted trying to find a Med helicopter, set up a landing zone, transport the patient to the landing zone and fly them to the hospital. They wasted 30 minutes trying to find a life flight to fly into a thunderstorm with all denying. Could have been 3/4's of the way to the hospital before the ambulance actually left for the hospital. They could have started heading to Greenville, had a ALS unit heading to them and swapped the patient to the ALS ambulance in a parking lot or along side the road.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I just heard talkgroup 44145 active on the Spartanburg site (which is unusual). The content of the radio traffic sounded like a patient report to a hospital ER. 44000-44499 is in the talkgroup range for Greenville County but is not a talkgroup that is currently identified in the database. Perhaps try that talkgroup while monitoring the Greenville Simulcast site and see if you hear patient reports.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Brian, sometimes things in Greer have Spartanburg EMS respond even though they are going to GMH. I have noticed very long wait times for medic units in Greenville. A cardiac arrest yesterday required a unit from Pickens county to respond and the call was at US 25 and Old White Horse road. Well into Greenville County. I do not monitor the Pickens site because there is nothing on it, but bet they used a Greenville TG to communicate.

evan

Database Admin
Brian, sometimes things in Greer have Spartanburg EMS respond even though they are going to GMH. I have noticed very long wait times for medic units in Greenville. A cardiac arrest yesterday required a unit from Pickens county to respond and the call was at US 25 and Old White Horse road. Well into Greenville County. I do not monitor the Pickens site because there is nothing on it, but bet they used a Greenville TG to communicate.
There are regularly no EMS units available in Lexington and Richland Counties, it seems on a daily basis. Underfunding for EMS is a big issue that most of the public is not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.