Greenville County UHF Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard anything there lately? Has ben a couple of weeks since I have. Parked my SDR there tonight and nothing. Have they moved to FireComm? I could have sworn I heard engine 85 dispatched there last night, witch would be TR fire.

aa4lb

This morning I am hearing everything normal. I've been trying to identify the Greenville County fire dispatch systems for several weeks. I'm usually around several radios during the mornings before I get moving on other projects. Here is my summary so far...

Greenville County UHF dispatch on 453.500
Belmont
Berea
Clear Springs
Duncan Chapel
Glassy Mtn
Lake Cunningham
North Greenville
Piedmont Park
Tigerville
Travelers Rest

Greenville County VHF dispatch on 155.235
Canebrake
Dunklin
Landrum
Slater-Marietta

Fire Comm dispatch on 154.175
Greer
Boiling Springs
Pelham-Batesville

Consolidated dispatch on 154.280
Gantt
South Greenville
Piedmont

Donaldson (SCTAC) 154.430
Fountain Inn 453.275 DMR
Greenville City P25
Mauldin 460.375
Parker 453.375
Simpsonville 453.075 DMR
Wade Hampton 154.265

I believe several of these go to other fire ground frequencies that I have not identified after dispatch.

Lee
AA4LB

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I updated the dispatch notes at the top of the County Fire Department database entry on the Greenville County database page.

Any idea about Taylors FD? Are they perhaps dispatched by Firecomm also?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Have heard Taylors dispatched many times from fireComm. They still use their conventional for radio comms also. Also have heard Wade Hampton and Piedmont Park on FireComm.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
As of this morning, UHF dispatch is now called MedCom. Been hearing it all day.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Yep, dispatching fire, but units calling back to MedCom. I am thinking that they are unifiying, yet VHF dispatch has not changed YET.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
No EMS calls, but Greenville County fire is dispatched by EMS.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Makes me wonder if the GHS takeover of EMS was shot down and Greenville will become a real Fire rescue, with EMS being part of them?

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I wonder if EMS is also referring to their dispatch center on their channel as MedComm? It may be that they are trying to be more deliberate about how they refer to specific dispatch centers on the air to avoid confusion? Or maybe it's about consolidation of dispatch services in the County?

According to the Greenville Co Sheriff's office, there are 8 total PSAPs serving Greenville County. The Sheriff's Office PSAP is the primary that receives all 911 calls, and then transfers those to other PSAPs as necessary.

Greenville EMS runs a PSAP (dispatch center) and dispatches EMS calls and some fire calls.

Now some fire departments other than Greer FD are dispatched by a PSAP operated by Greer that dispatches for those FDs and Greer PD.

Other fire departments operate their own PSAPs and dispatch themselves.

I assume Greenville City runs their own PSAP for PD, and maybe a separate PSAP for FD?

I was just reading a Greenville News article from June 2018 about problems staffing the Greenvilel Sheriff PSAP. I wonder if they've considered consolidating PSAP operations so they can spread fewer staff positions across more agencies and gain some efficiency. It seems very inefficient and time-consuming for 911 calls be transferred to other PSAPs.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
EMS is the dispatch for alot of Greenville FD's. I am thinking we are really seeing a unification of fire and EMS dispatch. Would be great to hear all on one channel Also were I come from fire /EMS is one entity. I believe that is happening here.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Meant that as fire EMS will consolidate.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I personally think that is is NOT likely to see Fire and EMS merge any time soon in Upstate SC areas.

The "modern" fire service developed in the 50's and 60's during a time when communities were centered around mill villages, and those mill communities exerted much more control and effect on people's lives than the county government. There is still a lot of segregation, even competition, among fire departments in these counties. And the communities feel like the fire department (and maybe a post office) are the entities that still define those communities now that the mills are long gone. They don't want to give up the unique identity of the community fire department.

I think that has been the big barrier to consolidation of fire departments. It's amazingly inefficient for there to be some many independant fire departments. I bet there are well over 200 different fire department entities among the upstate SC counties - Greenville, Spartanburg, Cherokee, Oconee, Pickens, Anderson, Union and Laurens. It's crazy, really. And many of them are special purpose districts created by the state, with little to no direct relation to the county government at all. Therefore, the county governments would have a very difficult road to try to consolidate fire departments under county control, assuming they wanted to. I believe the county governments are perfectly content to stay out of the fire service, even though citizens could see improved service and lower costs (taxes) if they did.

So, if we assume little consolidation among fire departments, there's little hope that the now-combined county EMS service will merge with the fire service. I don't see EMS trying to parcel out their service to dozens of FDs. It's worth remembering that in Spartanburg, at least, and maybe in other counties, the fire departments ran independent volunteer rescue (ambulance) services for decades in the 1960s-90s. . Those fell away as medical technology and the training required for EMTs and paramedics advanced so much. It was impractical for volunteers to gain and maintain that level of training. That's why we see consolidated EMS service today. Fire departments are also now moving from majority volunteer staffs to professional staffs for the same reason. But I don't see that leading to a lot of consolidation. Fire departments compete for professional firefighters by offering higher salaries and other perks to lure ffs away from other departments, again leading to an "arms race" among departments at the expense of taxpayers.

However, we should see EMS partnering with FDs to share facilities (stations) - that happens now. And they can and should share dispatch services.

ocn29rsc

For what it's worth Greenville Co. EMS has almost all ways had a hand dispatching fire dept.s in the county. EMS was dispatching on 155.235 when i was in my early teens. My dad ran with Belmont Fire Dept. in the early 80's and they dispatched them selves along with Mauldin, Gantt, Piedmont Park, Simpsonville, and Ft. Inn also many others.

It was certainly an interesting time to grow up listening to the scanner then, back when Anderson Co. EMS used the 2 + 2 tones or their version of EMS similar to what Bryan said about Spartanburg.

J. Cody

Status
Not open for further replies.