Greenville Sheriff Office going to 800 mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

I read somewhere about the Greenville County Sheriff's Office applying for $500,000 worth of matching federal funds for communications equipment. Kinda looks like they want to go to the Palmetto 800 system. Anyone else know something?

KG4ZPD

From the looks of things, fire and police have digital talkgroups on the Palmetto system. I'll keep my eyes open for anything else.

LarrySC

Greenville County Sheriff already has 8 talk groups on the Pal800. At this point they are using Ch-5 for narc and Ch-1 for emer teams. The Greenville News reported today that Simpsonville has 14 units and plans on more. Pickens was mentioned along with Spartanburg for receiving grant $. Mauldin uses 800 dig as well as Easley. All of these 800 ID's were published in the 2006 Upstate Scanner Frequency Directory in May except for the pending use in Pickens Co. Often units are programmed with TEMP ID's until an agency goes for the B1G deal. Some new ID's are expected for all of the above.

LarrySC

Answer to ocn29rsc: Mauldin uses 800 often on the weekends. Lots of good stuff. Answer to rescuecomm: Thats why they put the new tower on Glassy Mtn.

rescuecomm

Yeah, I kinda figured that. The Sheriff's office and EMS will probably move to the PAL800 and leave us poor Rescue squad people on the sidelines with the old legacy 155mhz system. If they do that, I plan to get our 155.775 local repeater put in the dispatch console asap. We are getting serious talkthrough on both 155.175 and the 155.115 freqs. Squad does not use the 155.175 at present.

Bob
N4CRX

LarrySC

Pumpkintown Fire has tested along with Pickens EOC on the Pickens Co Motorola 800 system. EMS also has used the Pickens Co system for TAC.

rescuecomm

I have monitored the Pickens County trunked system and heard Emergency Management. Haven't heard Pumpkintown FD on it yet. Pickens County EM has about 25 Motorola XTS2500 radios for the Cobra team. So they have some equipment and that may be what Pumpkintown is using. Rescue 8's 453.100 repeater is down for the count again. I am trying to get money for a new one, but things are a little tight right now. We need a boat to rescue flooded out homeowners and I have the one we bought last year in my shop ready to be worked on. A Zodiac inflatable would be nice but it is a little too much money. As far a comms go, I drove an ambulance to Greenville Memorial this morning and the distance talkin on 155.175 was really going strong. Had to try twice to get the dispatcher to acknowledge the arrival time. It seem like the ducting or whatever is worse this year than last year.

Bob
N4CRX

LarrySC

The Cobra team ch's will be on Pal 800 system and Pumpkintown and EOC will be on Pickens Co 800. The Pickens system is a type [1] and the Pal 800 is a type [2] Mot system. I dont have a clue if they could cross program them. I monitor all 800 comms but not as much VHF/UHF as I use to.

rescuecomm

I guess I am just cheap when it comes to scanners. Wait! What am I saying? I just spent $200 on some Icom U82's that I really didn't need. Last month I bought an Icom F43GS and software too. The Motorola XTS2500's cobra team radios are pretty neat. Last year at the Pumpkin Festival, all fire and rescue personnel were issued one for interop purposes. I think we were using SCTAC4 direct. The talkaround range on 800mhz is not what our CP200 VHF's can do, but it worked okay. Very high dollar equipment.

LarrySC

Well just do like everybody else and put them on Ebay. There are more people there with good money than good sense.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> It seem like the ducting or whatever is worse this year than last year.

Bob,

If your ems ever had to reprogram the VHF radios, consider suggesting they change the input PL tone.

When short-range tropo is present, Conover PD (Catawba Co, NC) dispatchers will make it into your input. They also use 151.010 / 131.8 as a repeater input.

A little more enhancement will bring in Hardee County (Florida) sheriffs, who run their primary repeater channel out on 151.010 / 131.8.

And, from the west, I have also heard your repeater on 155.175 / 131.8 rebroadcasting Arkansas State Police motor carrier enforcement communications between patrol units and their dispatch center in Little Rock. Atleast one of their repeater channels is on 151.010 / 131.8 .

rescuecomm

I understand that EMS wants to go to 800. Could explain why the propagation repeat problems last year were not fixed by going to DCS or at least another PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.