Grocery Wars on 467.85

Status
Not open for further replies.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that there are 3 or maybe 4 distinct users of this frequency in handheld range of my home, so last night I let the TRX-1 record. From 4am to noon, there were 80 transmissions.

We have a Kroger and Food Lion right across the road from each other, and they appear to be using this freq with PL 100.0 and DCS 412 respectively. Neither 100% confirmed, but I'm hearing these same freq/code combinations near other locations of their respective stores. The action starts up around 6-7am.

Funny aside: I thought that the 467.85 [d412] was further away in a different direction, but now I think I was probably hearing yet ANOTHER Food Lion that's yes--only about a mile away as the crow flies. It came up again this afternoon as I was sipping coffee at the Sheetz in Tappahannock. I quickly looked around, and sure enough there was a Food Lion sign.

After 9am, 467.85 [94.8] kicks in. This user is a little more distant, and that distance may be causing me to think that there's a fourth user with no squelch code. (the scanner may be missing the PL due to the extra noise on the signal) It would be hilarious if this turned out to be the new Aldi grocery store that just opened up by the others. I'm guessing Aldi because of apparent signal strength. Of course, there's also a Rite-Aid and a Pet Smart at comparable distances. Will try to visit all in the next week or so to see if employees are sporting some fashion earwear.

Thank heaven for the capture effect. All three of these stores (if Aldi is indeed user#3) are closer to each other than they are to me, and I'm hearing handheld radios that they wear on their waists and talk into with that Target-style inline mic. Nice job, TRX-1. Just wish I had this kind of recording capability 30 years ago!

73/Allen (N4JRI)

KB0VWG

I wish I lived in town next to those big box stores but I dont I live out in the country about 10 miles or so away from the nearest town So I can only hear them when in town, I do plan to put up a uhf yagi and point it that direction on top of my 50 foot tower. The land down here is flat so hope to here maybe some of the comms, If that doesn't work then will try a pre amp.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
KB0VWG -

I hope you know that to maximize the effect of that preamp, you should put it as close to the antenna as possible. Putting it right at the antenna connector is best. Yes, you'll have to put a pair of Bias-Ts on the line to power it, but it will be well worth the minimal extra expense as opposed to putting it in your shack by the receiver, where you'll already have lost most of the signal due to the tower height and long coax run. Plus, you'll be amplifying noise picked up along the way. You avoid all that by placing the pre-amp right at the antenna. Another point that should be obvious, but I'll point it out anyway, you'll have to waterproof both the amp and the Bias-T at the amp end. Digi-Key (DigiKey Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor) sells some good waterproof enclosures. There are several other reputable companies that have a good selection. For example: Electronic Components Distributor Newark element14 and www.Mouser.com. It's easy to find them at Amazon, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. as well.

Also, look carefully at the amp specs. A lot of cheaper amps inject a fair amount of noise into the signal. A low noise amp will cost a bit more, but, again, is worth the extra price.

Given that you're a fair distance from your target signal, both of these things will make a difference in your enjoyment of the hobby. I'd hate to see you go through the effort of climbing the tower and mounting a directional antenna, only to not be able to receive what you want.

Finally, Radio Shack sells very inexpensive rotors designed exactly for the type of antenna you're describing. Yep, another investment in the rotor and associated cable, but again worthwhile if you have potential signals in other directions, or think there may be some in the near future. If you have to climb the tower, you might as well get as much out of one trip as you can. Tower climbing is a dangerous thing, even for the most experienced people who have climbed many, many times, so be careful and wear and use your safety gear. Sorry, don't mean to preach, but I know people who have had tower accidents, and I've seen tower accidents first hand. You don't usually get a second chance after a 50 foot fall.

Best regards and good luck with your antenna project - David, AG4F

KB0VWG

Thanks David

I use to climb my tower often but as I have gotten older not quite as much as I used to, I will try to eliminate unnecessary trips to the top. I will try first without the roter, I have had one of those radio shack roters before but its been a while. Most of the stores I want to listen are all in one general area so hopefully if I get it pointed in the right spot it might work. I know I can pick up Olive Garden on my UHF omni antenna thats on top or almost on top of the tower.
Thanks David
kb0vwg
wqoi992

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Thanks David

I use to climb my tower often but as I have gotten older not quite as much as I used to, I will try to eliminate unnecessary trips to the top. I will try first without the roter, I have had one of those radio shack roters before but its been a while. Most of the stores I want to listen are all in one general area so hopefully if I get it pointed in the right spot it might work. I know I can pick up Olive Garden on my UHF omni antenna thats on top or almost on top of the tower.
Thanks David
kb0vwg
wqoi992
Hello Mike havent seen you on here in awhile is that the Olive Garden in Harlengen by the Mall.....

Status
Not open for further replies.