GROL question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received the GROL book for xmas, however I just found out that the FCC has come out with a new question pool for elements 1, 3, 8. This book has the pre 12/25/09 questions. Is this book worthless, or can I use it still for studying, and download the latest one from the FCC website?

Trevor KI6KGN

N

N_Jay

It all depends.

Are you studying to learn, or just to pass the test?

Vermontradio1966

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Harder questions

The new question pool has been reduced, but is supposed to be harder. I have a GROL, passed it many years ago, and that test is no joke. I studied for 6 months and passed first try, but just barely. The book would be helpful as far as material goes, but the questions will be different. I have had several job offers based on the fact that I have the license. Many state level radio tech jobs require it (or similiar licensure). The good news is that it is good for lifetime. I have been wanting to get the radar endorsement and am just waiting to see if that question pool changes.

Definitely look over the book as it will be helpful.

N-Jay..I actually want to take the test to get the PG license.

I will utilize the book then, when does the new book with the question pool's come out?

iamhere300

Bear in mind - for 99 percent of the LMR jobs out there, the GROL is not required, but having it may put you over the top when compared to someone with similiar qualifications and no GROL.

The only time mine has really come into play is doing radar gun certifications for law enforcement.

And the test is pretty much a joke. If you have any reservations about it, get one of the CD based study guides and take the practice test a couple of times. At least they have gotten rid of the questions about efficiency of a dynamotor, and what is a blanking signal.

At age 12 my son was constantly getting 100% on the practice tests.

Way back when you had to set before an FCC examiner to take most Amateur and Commercial tests; the examiner would come to town every 3 months and you would go to the Federal building to take your test; You would walk into the test session and generally there was several other folks testing also. the steely eyed examiner would hand you the test and a pencil, while trying to remember all the questions and working your way through the formulas you couldn't help but watch as each person took their answer sheet and handed it to the examiner, he would overlay the answer sheet count the wrong answers and shake his head, never saying a word. The testee would make a noticable slump and head out the door; if you passed you got a nod; not many nods were passed out when I took my second and first. I passed the second in my first try, my First took 2 tries.

Good luck!

iamhere300

Way back when you had to set before an FCC examiner to take most Amateur and Commercial tests; the examiner would come to town every 3 months and you would go to the !

Thats how it was when I took my first test, for broadcast, but there was no room downtown so they used a room at a local tech school.

Very steely eyed examiners, (there were 2 or 3) but one chased me down and told me what I had done wrong. Those guys were really trying to be helpful, it also probably helped that I was a youngster when I took my first tests.

Then they got watered down to what we have now.

Vermontradio1966

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We all can't be a smart as you

iamhere300......I realize you may be way above us in electrical theory and related content, but to call the test a joke is pretty much a slap in the face to the rest of us who just may not be at your level. I am pretty good at many things, but i would never tell that to someone taking a test that......It is a joke. I had to study my ass off as I was not familiar with the material. I think it is much easier now, but at first it was not.

Maybe most private sector LMR jobs don't require the test, but many state level tech jobs require some sort of cert. The reason is to sign off on the RADAR certification.

Last edited:
Back in the days when a commercial license was a requirement and not a "nice thing to hang on your wall" anyone that worked on radio gear had to have it; each time you filled out a service ticket there was a block for you to certify the equipment, sign, date, license number and expiration. Employers required their techs to post their license for examination for the FCC examinier when they came by and yes they did come by.

N

N_Jay

Back in the day, you needed your 3rd class just to be a DJ (if your station did not have an on duty engineer).

I was only 1/2 trying to be a wise ass with my comment.
Too many people study the questions to pas the test rather than study the material to know the subject.

The FCC Commercial First Phone was a necessity for most mid to larger broadcast stations; there were schools specifically for teaching you to pass the "First" by memorizing all the questions and answers in the test pool. Elkins Institute was one.

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
If the book uses the old questions, don't use it for the exam, unless you have more significant education in your back pocket. The new exam pool (for Elements 1, 3, and 8) has some questions that are totally different than the old pool. But then again, some questions are the same. So, if you're using only the exam pool as a study mechanism, get the new book with new explanations or new pool questions from the free web sites already mentioned. The FCC pool can be found at Commercial Radio Operator License Program: Who Needs a License: Exam Question Pools plus there are a bunch of free sites with simulated exams, again, as already mentioned.

Check the FCC Public Notice at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-09-1417A1.pdf -- you will find that the old questions were still valid for 6 months following release on June 25th, 2009. At that time you could have taken the exams using either question pool, but no longer, that option expired December 25th, 2009.

Good luck--it's a worthwhile venture, even if only for personal gratification.

Last edited:

iamhere300

iamhere300......I realize you may be way above us in electrical theory and related content, but to call the test a joke is pretty much a slap in the face to the rest of us who just may not be at your level. I am pretty good at many things, but i would never tell that to someone taking a test that......It is a joke. I had to study my ass off as I was not familiar with the material. I think it is much easier now, but at first it was not.

Maybe most private sector LMR jobs don't require the test, but many state level tech jobs require some sort of cert. The reason is to sign off on the RADAR certification.

No offense, you have taken my comments out of text, but compared to what it was - it is a joke. Used to be there were no question pools to read up on, till schools (one in particular) actually had people question those who had just taken the test to get the questions so they could make up question pools. You had to KNOW your stuff to pass.

Then, for many years asking what the efficiency of a dynamotor is, among others, made the test a joke - when asked in the 90's. Not the level of difficulty - but the applicability of the questions.

No offense, you have taken my comments out of text, but compared to what it was - it is a joke. Used to be there were no question pools to read up on, till schools (one in particular) actually had people question those who had just taken the test to get the questions so they could make up question pools. You had to KNOW your stuff to pass.

Then, for many years asking what the efficiency of a dynamotor is, among others, made the test a joke - when asked in the 90's. Not the level of difficulty - but the applicability of the questions.

That was the Elkins method; each student was required to write down as many of the questions as they could, eventually they had an up to date question pool.

N0IU

Are you sure?

I recall that requiring only a Restricted License.
You could be right. This was way back in the late 70's and sometimes I don't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning!

I do remember my first solo just over 30 years ago... in a Piper "Traumahawk" - a T-tail trainer. I caught a very slight cross wind just before the main gear hit the tarmac and got three touchdowns out of one landing!

(Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.