Groton Sub Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
As has been posted elsewhere on the Internet, Groton Sub Base has almost gone "silent".

The only frequencies I have heard lately are:

142.2000 PL 103.5 - Fire Dispatch
140.0375 PL 79.9 - Security

I've been searching 138-144mhz constantly.. and I picked this up tonight on 138.85:

RRDB shows this as "Housing".

"You're on the wrong channel."

Soooo..... what is the right channel? It is obviously not within this range. I am going to start searching the 380-420mhz range soon, as I have heard many military installations going to trunked systems in this range.

I also pick up something on 140.6625 and 140.2875 keying every second.. reminds me of LTR Passport..

I'm close to the sub base but haven't been on it for weeks. If anyone has any input I would be glad to hear it.

MarkB513

I found this message on the Connecticut Forum of Scan Massachusetts.
It was posted by the Alarm Room. Hopefully it's your missing frequencies.

Submarine Base Fire Dept., Groton, CT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sub Base Fire Department now operates on a new VHF repeater and also has a fireground channel. All other channels have been removed:

142.9750R No PL Fire Dispatch
148.8125 131.8 Fireground

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I checked those frequencies when I was in the area and didn't hear a thing, But I will check again as soon as I can.

Last edited:

Portable14

Banned
Well, I took a trip to Groton today, and this is what I can tell you.

142.2000 PL 103.5 - Fire Dispatch is ACTIVE.
140.0375 PL 79.9 - Security is ACTIVE.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
Re: MarkB513

I am aware of that forum. If you scroll down, I posted to it a couple days ago. Like Portable14, I too have not heard a peep on either of those frequencies so far.

Re: Portable14

Thanks for the confirmation. Just wondering, how was the audio on them, and about how far away were you?

The security frequency comes in OK for me.. readable but not great.. I'm about 3 miles away with plenty of trees and buildings in the way. Fire comes in great.

Portable14

Banned
I was down the street sitting inside the GEICO OFFICE, And the audio quality was excellent. I did manage to pick up the same frequencies on my BCD396T with a RadioShack 800MHz antenna from the west side of Norwich.

MarkB513

Well so much for those frequencies, I guess they never made the switch. Are either of those confirmed frequencies repeaters? I'll have to update my 996 with them. I actually don't get to that area to much, mostly Old Lyme...

Portable14

Banned
Sub-Base Frequencies....

I'm guessing that they are repeaters-(OR VERY HIGH POWER BASE/MOBILE)-, Or else I probably wouldn't have picked them up in Norwich on an 800MHz antenna.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
I guess this is an addition to this thread...

The Groton Sub Base is having a Kids Karnival (ignore the spelling) at the Naval Sub Base Youth Center (Fr 5:00 - 9:00, Sat./Sun 11:00-6:00).

I'm picking up what sounds like two transportation buses on the itinerent frequency 154.515 PL 186.2

Not sure exactly where they are transporting from.. but my first guess is from local schools to the Carnival. Will scan some of the regular radio bands this weekend and see if I can pick up anything else from the carnival.

EDIT--The drivers mentioned the "main switchboard in Ledyard" and also mentioned that "this frequency isn't used much so tonite it is ours". It sounds like a simplex frequency because the two people I hear come in at different levels depending on where they are. This is possibly a tac channel for Ledyard buses. Did anyone go to this and can confirm/deny what buses were in use?

Last edited:

DOPPLERBOB

Great info guys. I was wondering where they disappeared to. Both 142.2 and 140.0375 give me the same signal strength here in Milford this morning (S5) and the audio is nice.

Bob

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
MarkB513 said:
Well so much for those frequencies, I guess they never made the switch. Are either of those confirmed frequencies repeaters? I'll have to update my 996 with them. I actually don't get to that area to much, mostly Old Lyme...

Whereabouts in Old Lyme? I'm in POW.

y10kiscoming

Premium Subscriber
In case anyone is still interested (I know I am..) there is/was activity on 138.850 (Housing) today, no PL. From what I can tell, it is actually the housing people using it.

Update: Also activity on 139.550 (Public Works).

Portable14

Banned
I was on the base today and heard activity on a few channels.

Sub base police use 140.0375 (Trust me, I know, I had 2 sub base police officers approach me and I could hear the same thing coming out of their radios and my scanner when it was stopped on this frequency).

I also heard activity on the housing frequency

And the USS Fulton frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.