ground loop problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pck

Would anyone try listening to my feed at: Causeway Police and St. Tammany Parish area SkyWarn Live Scanner Audio Feed ? I've tried everything to get that horrible noise out of the feed. New patch cable from the scanner to the computer, different wall wart, plugged everything into a different wall outlet, moved the scanner further from the computer, moved the scanner closer to the computer. No relief. Is what I am hearing considered a ground loop problem? If so, I was looking at these two ground loop isolators on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/GROUND-LOOP-I...QTRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321933280&sr=8-2
Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

You definitely got some hum there... Ground loop? Yes, no.. maybe...:confused:

What you might have is a floating ground or an open channel.

First check your cables. This also sounds like it could be one side of your computer's input being open. Are you using an adapter that actually converts the mono scanner out to the PC's stereo input?

Then I would try running a separate ground wire from your scanner's ground, like the shield of the antenna jack, to the case of your computer.

After that try the isolator band-aid

nexus

yes ground loop problem, I had a problem like this and the PAC isolator you linked worked.

kd5pck

Thanks all for the replies. I think I'll try some of the suggestions from Bellingham. I'm also going to order the PAC isolator from Amazon in the meantime. Never know when I may need it, even if it's not for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.