Grounding a Tram 1481 dual band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

atxpatriot

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I'm new to amateur radio and I'm trying to set up my shack and could use your help. I bought a Tram 1481 antenna and plan to mount it on the side of my covered roof back porch. The porch is 20 feet off the ground, since my house is on a hill that slopes down behind it. The supports and frame of the porch are steel (steel I-beams and steel posts). The posts sit on concrete footers. I was thinking of putting in a 4' ground rod and connecting the ground rod to the steel supports with copper wire and then attaching a wire from the antenna to the steel supports, essentially grounding it through the steel supports to the grounding rod. Is this a good approach or would running a copper line down and connecting directly to the grounding rod be better for RF?

I would appreciate any help you all could provide.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
KI5ODQ

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, that wouldn't meet code.

You need to have a downlead from the antenna mast going straight down to a ground rod. The goal is to get any energy to ground as quickly and easily as possible. Unnecessary connections and trying to properly bond the copper to steel isn't going to help you.

Also, 4' ground rod is too short.

What you want is a continuous copper conductor from the antenna base running as straight as possible down to at least one 8' ground rod.
National Electric Code also -requires- that that ground rod be bonded to the house electrical entrance ground rod to keep potential the same.

You also need to ground the coax shield, and have a lightning arrestor where the coax enters your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.