Grounding An ST-2 Antenna...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddley

Howdy folks,

For lightning protection, could someone please explain how to properly ground an ST2 antenna to the grounding block on your house? There is already an existing grounding block for the CableTV, which is connected to the cold water pipe... Could I simply tap into that by means of a ground wire attached from the mast to the block? I'm installing said antenna this weekend, and would appreciate any advice/tips. MANY thanks in advance...

Diddley

gcgrotz

Ground the mast at the lowest point. Go to LowesHomeDepot and buy a ground clamp and enough 6ga bare wire to reach. Scrape the paint where you attach it and then put some spray paint back on it so it won't rust.

Get another ground clamp to fit the pipe. Don't tap on to the cable grounding block, go direct. Make sure the cold water pipe is metal all the way to the street, most newer construction is not. Just because some cable installer used it doesn't mean it is good. Check where the electrical service is grounded, normally a ground rod is required there.

Keep the ground wire from the mast as short as possible and avoid sharp bends. If you must tap on to an existing ground, use a split bolt, also available at HomeLowesDepot.

Keep in mind if you get a large direct hit, stuff will probably be fried no matter what you do short of a professional grounding system. You're just hoping to protect from nearby strikes and provide a safety factor.

I'm hoping to get my outside antenna back up next weekend, only 10 months since I moved to this house!

Good luck and happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.