• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigstuff95

I'm wondering about Grounding?, you can use a grounding strap or a copper grounding strap, or just regular neg. side power wire, can regular power wire work or do I have to get a grounding strap to ground my Cb.? or to ground both my mobel Cb. and my Base Cb.?, does it have to be a grounding strap in order to properly ground your Cb.? is a grounding strap for the antenna only? I know they use them on grounding body's to the frame on trucks as I've Sean one on my pick-up bed, I understand that its all about the grounding on Cb's, grounding both the Cb. and antenna, I'm just not sure about the grounding straps? as I've never used one before?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
A ground strap is nothing more than something that connects to the device to be grounded to the ground. The NEC (National Electrical Code) section 820 requires your antenna "mast" to be grounded to a ground rod. It also requires that ground rod to be connected to your house main ground rod. It requires the shield of the coax be grounded and an appropriate coax surge protector installed. There are many sources of grounding information available. Remember nothing will prevent you from from a direct or near-by lightning event.

prcguy

Most of the things you hear from CBrs about grounding is a myth or just bad info. I've heard them claim an "antenna" splattered all over the place and when they grounded it with some insane size wire it fixed the problem. Yea, right. For a base station antenna its always good to ground it to code (NEC article 810) and I think the post above this one has a link to that info. Doing that will have zero effect on performance or noise or anything else and its done for human safety.

Bonding vehicle parts like a hood, truck bed or exhaust system with a CB or HF radio can improve performance, reduce radiated ignition noise and fix other problems but its a case by case thing. Using a wide conductive strap for bonding is better for RF and provides a lower impedance path compared to a small diameter wire. Most mobile CB installations don't need any body parts bonded. Its recommended to wire your radio directly to the battery including the ground wire to avoid a voltage drop but your radio will probably work just fine using a cigarette lighter plug.

I'm wondering about Grounding?, you can use a grounding strap or a copper grounding strap, or just regular neg. side power wire, can regular power wire work or do I have to get a grounding strap to ground my Cb.? or to ground both my mobel Cb. and my Base Cb.?, does it have to be a grounding strap in order to properly ground your Cb.? is a grounding strap for the antenna only? I know they use them on grounding body's to the frame on trucks as I've Sean one on my pick-up bed, I understand that its all about the grounding on Cb's, grounding both the Cb. and antenna, I'm just not sure about the grounding straps? as I've never used one before?

Status
Not open for further replies.