Group Formalizes CPR Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
this really doesent make sense to me, the brain needs air or it dies, now this really doesnt effect me since im a CFR/Healthcare provider level, but i would think that this technique would not be as effective as a 30:2 would be.

UPMan

Uniden Representative
Premium Subscriber
Even with compressions only (assuming you have properly cleared the person's airway) there is some air exchange. They've also dropped checking for pulse periodically after you initially determine that there is no pulse (the chances of CPR restoring heart rhythm is almost 0...for that you need defib).

hydrolocked

they've also found that after 30 compressions is about the time the BP gets to a suitable level, so the way it WAS we're getting the body to a good point to actually help, but then we stop and start breathing. BP drops, then we need to start all over again.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
lakekid313 said:
this really doesent make sense to me, the brain needs air or it dies, now this really doesnt effect me since im a CFR/Healthcare provider level, but i would think that this technique would not be as effective as a 30:2 would be.
Actually, the brain needs oxygen, not air. Since there is already some oxygen in the blood, it is much better to just do compressions and keep some blood moving than do nothing at all. And as UPMan said, there is still a small amount of air exchange when doing compressions.

I'm sure 30:2 is more effective, that's why they still want formally trained people to use that method. The compressions only method is mainly for untrained people, like someone calling 911...the dispatcher can easily give directions over the phone without much confusion, It also helps with people that might be afraid to do CPR because of mouth-to-mouth.

hoser147

From what I saw on the news Raven pretty well hit the nail on the head, with people being reluctant to do mouth to mouth, they figure that this way more lay people would get involved and at least try instead of turning a blind eye to the situation.............Hoser

cellblock776

I never do mouth to mouth and I don't encourage anyone else to do so. Without a barrier device you should not be doing ventilations. Mouth to Mask or compressions only.

wendallb

This has been going that direction for some time now. Was 15/2 and now 30/2. I would expect this to be accepted in the next year or so by the Heart Assoc. and the Red Cross.

car2back

cellblock776 said:
I never do mouth to mouth and I don't encourage anyone else to do so. Without a barrier device you should not be doing ventilations. Mouth to Mask or compressions only.
Amen!!!! I have a BVM in my first aid kit, but if I'm out off duty, there's no way I'm doing mouth 2 mouth. If there's a family member or close friend of the vpt present, see if they'll do it but I'm not going to risk catching a pathogen.

rescue128

CCR is the protocol in my county. just pump chest... until ALS arrives basically. our save rate went up 40 percent or something crazy the first year according to what the medical director said at our last training.

Status
Not open for further replies.