Group scanning with ARC-XT Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
So let me see if i can type this up so it makes sense.
i use the database option to preload the stuff i want hear on my BCD396XT. the issue i am having is figuring out how groups work I will explain how iw ant to use this scanner which i believe is possible. with BC780XLT that used banks starting with bank 1 i would add CHP frequencies about 10 channels. than bank 2 would be local sheriff stuff that was about 8 frequencies and so forth each bank was programmed that way so for example i did not want to listen to CHP or i did not want to listen to SHERIFF i would turn off the bank by pressing the number on the keypad of the scanner. well am i able to set my scanner up this way? as i did with the 780xlt ? so far i have group 1 with FIRE, SHERIFF, LOCAL PD all in one and i do not like that because sometimes i just want to hear FIRE or LOCAL POLICE. so if someone could somewhat explain what i need to do here that would be really awesome.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So let me see if i can type this up so it makes sense.
i use the database option to preload the stuff i want hear on my BCD396XT. the issue i am having is figuring out how groups work I will explain how iw ant to use this scanner which i believe is possible. with BC780XLT that used banks starting with bank 1 i would add CHP frequencies about 10 channels. than bank 2 would be local sheriff stuff that was about 8 frequencies and so forth each bank was programmed that way so for example i did not want to listen to CHP or i did not want to listen to SHERIFF i would turn off the bank by pressing the number on the keypad of the scanner. well am i able to set my scanner up this way? as i did with the 780xlt ? so far i have group 1 with FIRE, SHERIFF, LOCAL PD all in one and i do not like that because sometimes i just want to hear FIRE or LOCAL POLICE. so if someone could somewhat explain what i need to do here that would be really awesome.
While your 396XT does not have "Banks", it does have Systems. Each of those systems can be assigned a Quick Key, so that you can toggle them on or off, depending on what you want to listen to. For the "single digit" quick keys, 0 through 9, those can be turned on or off by pressing the single digit. For quick keys 10 through 99, you press the "." (decimal point, or "No") key before pressing the two digit QK (Quick Key).

If you have a group of systems that you always want to turn on or off as a group (at the same time), then assign them all the same QK. Unlike your 780XLT, which had 10 banks, in the 396XT, you have 99 keys to work with in the 396XT, so more flexibility. For trunked systems, the quick key is assigned to the site(s). For a multi-site system, if you wanted to simply turn the entire system on or off at the same time, assign each site programmed the same QK. On the other hand, if you wanted to hear only portions of the system (say, for instance, it was a larger regional system, and not all sites would be in range), use different key numbers for different sites, or groups of sites in another region.

Also see this: Systems, Sites and Groups - The RadioReference Wiki

SCPD

QRT
While your 396XT does not have "Banks", it does have Systems. Each of those systems can be assigned a Quick Key, so that you can toggle them on or off, depending on what you want to listen to. For the "single digit" quick keys, 0 through 9, those can be turned on or off by pressing the single digit. For quick keys 10 through 99, you press the "." (decimal point, or "No") key before pressing the two digit QK (Quick Key).

If you have a group of systems that you always want to turn on or off as a group (at the same time), then assign them all the same QK. Unlike your 780XLT, which had 10 banks, in the 396XT, you have 99 keys to work with in the 396XT, so more flexibility. For trunked systems, the quick key is assigned to the site(s). For a multi-site system, if you wanted to simply turn the entire system on or off at the same time, assign each site programmed the same QK. On the other hand, if you wanted to hear only portions of the system (say, for instance, it was a larger regional system, and not all sites would be in range), use different key numbers for different sites, or groups of sites in another region.

Also see this: Systems, Sites and Groups - The RadioReference Wiki

Gotcha so SITES is what I want to do but don't see that an option via the software :/

Sent from my SCH-I605

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Based on what you are describing, my suggestion would be to create the following systems:

System 1: CHP (Use System Quick Key 1)
System 2: Sheriff (Use System Quick Key 2)
System 3: Local Police (Use System Quick Key 3)
System 4: Fire (Use System Quick Key 4)

You can further refine this by creating groups, which are clusters of channels. You might base your groups on geography. For example you could have a Border Division Group, a Central Division Group, a Costal Division Group and so on. Groups can be turned on or off (called locking out) so that if you are in Los Angeles, only the LA group is active with the others locked out.

Using the System Quick Keys as mentioned in the preceding post, you can "turn on/off" the systems to suit your scanning desires.

The 396XT is a lot more flexible when it comes to clustering/grouping things together than the 780.

Think of the scanner as being a filing cabinet. Systems are like the file drawers. In the system (file drawer) there are groups like file folders within the drawer. In the groups (the file folders) there are channels which are like pieces of paper within the file folder.

I'm guessing something. You've probably got a new 396XT. It comes with pre-loaded systems. Most of these are outdated and can be erased, just to remove some of the clutter. This erasing can be done with the programming software you have been using to download your data.

Also, sites are only applicable to trunked radio systems. So if all you are downloading are conventional systems, sites are "N/A".

SCPD

QRT
Based on what you are describing, my suggestion would be to create the following systems:

System 1: CHP (Use System Quick Key 1)
System 2: Sheriff (Use System Quick Key 2)
System 3: Local Police (Use System Quick Key 3)
System 4: Fire (Use System Quick Key 4)

You can further refine this by creating groups, which are clusters of channels. You might base your groups on geography. For example you could have a Border Division Group, a Central Division Group, a Costal Division Group and so on. Groups can be turned on or off (called locking out) so that if you are in Los Angeles, only the LA group is active with the others locked out.

Using the System Quick Keys as mentioned in the preceding post, you can "turn on/off" the systems to suit your scanning desires.

The 396XT is a lot more flexible when it comes to clustering/grouping things together than the 780.

Think of the scanner as being a filing cabinet. Systems are like the file drawers. In the system (file drawer) there are groups like file folders within the drawer. In the groups (the file folders) there are channels which are like pieces of paper within the file folder.

I'm guessing something. You've probably got a new 396XT. It comes with pre-loaded systems. Most of these are outdated and can be erased, just to remove some of the clutter. This erasing can be done with the programming software you have been using to download your data.

Also, sites are only applicable to trunked radio systems. So if all you are downloading are conventional systems, sites are "N/A".

I think what is happening is I used the RR database and did zero input and the software is just grouping it based off how I upload it. I am using proScan and that application seems a little easier to grasp. I'm going to wipe the scanner one more time and manually upload everything by hand except for CHP & L.A.P.D. as those seems to be the largest of data.

I get the sub system in the memory. It's finding the option via Software to say cut Sheriff from Ventura pd and place them in separate groups....(hope that makes sense?).

***EDIT***

was able to set groups, using ARC XT PRO. Under quickkey layout viewer and editor.

How ever still can't figure out how to get all the police stuff in one area and fire in another.
bymabyte.jpg

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I haven't used ProScan very much and the copy I had was a trial version. However I believe you can create a new group(s) and do some copying and pasting to arrange the scanner as desired.

Another option would be to simply download Ventura County three times - making three systems. Then you can delete "stuff" so that you end up with what you want. For example, delete all but Ventura sheriff from one, delete all but fire from another and delete all but local PD from the third.

With some experimenting, trial and error, along with some patience and a bad word or two, you'll get there!

SCPD

QRT
I haven't used ProScan very much and the copy I had was a trial version. However I believe you can create a new group(s) and do some copying and pasting to arrange the scanner as desired.

Another option would be to simply download Ventura County three times - making three systems. Then you can delete "stuff" so that you end up with what you want. For example, delete all but Ventura sheriff from one, delete all but fire from another and delete all but local PD from the third.

With some experimenting, trial and error, along with some patience and a bad word or two, you'll get there!

Thanks ! That's the plan. As you can we here I was able to get the q groups working. But you'll notice Oxnard fire is chilling with Oxnard police and don't want that.

Thanks all for the help this is going easier the more I go at it.

uploadfromtaptalk1406602124472.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Just create another group, one for police and another for fire and assign them different quick keys.

I have over 80 systems in my scanners. I always use GQK 1 for fire, GQK 2 for police etc. across the board.

Once you get away from the "banks" mentality it is a lot easier, you program everything in, then assign a QK.

Think of quick keys as banks only you can change their number.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Gotcha so SITES is what I want to do but don't see that an option via the software :/

Sent from my SCH-I605
Note:
You're not seeing "Sites" because all the systems you are talking about (at present) are Conventional systems. These do not have 'sites'. Only Trunked systems have sites. If you are not downloading and programming any of those (at least, not at this time), ignore the comments regarding sites. Just assign and use Quick Keys for your conventional channel systems, and group keys as needed or desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.