Grove SP-200 Sound Enhancer

Gumball928

I just acquired this at a flea market, and would like to hear opinions on this ??

I have used it (briefly) with a scanner, and it seems to work okay, but I am wondering if it is designed to work with a ham radio rather than a scanner ??

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I just acquired this at a flea market, and would like to hear opinions on this ??

I have used it (briefly) with a scanner, and it seems to work okay, but I am wondering if it is designed to work with a ham radio rather than a scanner ??
It's not really meant for scanners. More for LW/MW/SW, SSB and amateur radio. Nice find! They used to sell new for $200.00. They're still a good demand for them if it works ok.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
One would typically use that with various modes on HF. For example, you should be able to narrow up CW if your receiver is wide and reduce some noise. A decent receiver probably does not need this device. An older receiver without DSP, or an inexpensive receiver may have improved audio using that "enhancer".

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From 1994 Monitoring Times Magazine

- Bob Grove
UW75lrg.jpg

Grove SP-200 Sound Enhancer

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A four-inch speaker mounted in a wooden box with an audio amplifier that has bass, treble, and parametric mid-range controls. Not sure what the "noise limiter" does. Sold by Grove Enterprises and reviewed by Bob Grove himself. I would expect nothing less than glowing reviews.

Bob Heil is now selling roughly the same thing for $269 without the speaker. Bob gives it good reviews, too. Parametric Receive Audio System Equalizer (PRASEQ) | Heil Ham Radio | Amateur Radio

Most radio communication audio systems are designed to pass 300 Hz to 3000 Hz. The first step to developing an equalizer, amplifier, and speaker for communication monitoring is to limit the range to those frequencies. Then, add a parametric mid-range control to the equalizer so you can "sweep" the center frequency of the mid-range boost/cut in order to somewhat isolate a specific range of frequencies. For listening to CW, instead of voice, you'd want a much narrower audio range.

Yes, @Gumball928, you got a good find. It would be useful for monitoring any radio traffic. Just hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Gumball928

Thank you all for the replies and info. I concluded that I was not going to use it's potential.

After much contemplation, I listed it on ebay.

Thank you, again.