Grundig G5 on clearance at RadioShack!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for the heads up, Im going to hit my local S***t Shack tomorrow and see if they have them in stock.

I thought i was leaving the hobby but it looks like im buying more radios again

SCPD

QRT
Radiodaze I read the reviews from the eham and i hope i dont have a one of the bad ones. Does the problems in this radio have to do with audio or SSB?

Im happy with mine. Sold it now i have it again :)

DPD1

The early G5s had a problem with noisy adapters and also potential for blowing it up with a static shock. Any late models should not have that problem. At any rate, you would want to try and not shock the antenna on any radio anyway.

I think the G5 is the best HF for the money. Either that or people like the 7600. At that price, I was actually going to by another one, or two... But I checked a couple stores and they were long gone months ago. Also told a friend and he couldn't find any stores that had them. But if you are just a so so HF person and don't want to drop a bunch of money, it's the way to go. The G3's HF apparently isn't quite as good. It sounds like the expanded VHF on that one messed up the HF section.

SCPD

QRT
So far im very very happy with it and the long wire it came with. I would like to get another 2 or 3 or them but no luck i think i got the last one in NY

RadioWARE

I found three in New England this weekend! :) Thanks for the heads up. All work great even though two wre demo's, they doubled the warranty.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
The two stores in Jonesboro, Ar had one each.

One radio was obviously abused and returned, display scratched up badly and it looks as if the batteries burst inside the battery compartment. The manager should not have allowed that return.

The other radio was either a return or display unit. No dings or scratches, but the second upper section of the antenna was bent a little bit - no kinked - just a good curvature. I straightened it out and bought it.....$44 after tax.

Not a bad deal.....I knew if I waited it out I'd get another E5/G5 for cheap. I had been watching these two stores for over a year to get this deal.

KD0LWU

I was in my Radio Shack just the other day, they sell a lot of ham gear and do consignment sales, not only did they NOT have the clearance radios, they had a used, well taken care of, G5 for sale on consignment for $100, same price as the G6 Buzz Aldren was on sale for!
I didn't buy either one!

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
If I could find another I'd get it. All Memphis area stores are sold out.

I had my 3 year old E5 and new G5 side by side the other night and both were tuning in flawlessly!

DPD1

I've seen some people talk about recent versions of the G3 and they said the HF was pretty much the same. So maybe they've tweaked the later versions of that one to be better now.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Could someone please post the RS-catalog number so I can call around? Thanks!

Manny

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I Love This Radio!

Just picked one up, brand new in the box after a brief hunt! As soon as I took it out and put the batteries in, I began to play. I am astonished at the performance of this little radio....I am currently listening to a Ham on 5345 khz. using USB. W3WMD is the call. Sensitivity is right on the button. I also caught Boston Air Center on 125.575 mhz. as well as the local towers. The FM was great and adjacent channel rejection was unbelieveable. Nice that they threw in RDS mode on fm to identify station ID and content. 700 memories is way more than I will ever need. Built in audio is sufficient for my needs. I love the cool white backlight. What else can I say? I'm in love....The best $39.97 I have EVER spent.....I'm picking up a second one that another RS has as a display unit. Will make a good back up unit....

Manny

Last edited:

CLynch7

Just picked one up, brand new in the box after a brief hunt! As soon as I took it out and put the batteries in, I began to play. I am astonished at the performance of this little radio....I am currently listening to a Ham on 5345 khz. using USB. W3WMD is the call. Sensitivity is right on the button. I also caught Boston Air Center on 125.575 mhz. as well as the local towers. The FM was great and adjacent channel rejection was unbelieveable. Nice that they threw in RDS mode on fm to identify station ID and content. 700 memories is way more than I will ever need. Built in audio is sufficient for my needs. I love the cool white backlight. What else can I say? I'm in love....The best $39.97 I have EVER spent.....I'm picking up a second one that another RS has as a display unit. Will make a good back up unit....

Manny

Dude, thats the new G3, and for $40 bucks? Best deal you'll probably ever find!

DPD1

Hmm... Sounds like somebody at rat shack made a mistake. They gave you the G3 by accident. lol Bad for them, good for you.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thank You Radio Shack!

Dude, thats the new G3, and for $40 bucks? Best deal you'll probably ever find!

Hmm... Sounds like somebody at rat shack made a mistake. They gave you the G3 by accident. lol Bad for them, good for you.

Holy Mother of Radios!
Call me ignorant on the subject or just plain blind! THIS IS the G3! The box is labeled G-5 though! Oh My God! He gave me the G3 for the price of the G5! Serves him right though! He told me this was a brand new radio in the box! Now I see it was a demo G3 but repackaged! Hey, at these prices, I'll take it!!!!!!!! I was so excited to get one that I did not even think to look at the radio itself. Until now, I never even looked at a G3 even though they both look the same at a quick glance. Oh Man, this is definitely an early Father's Day present!!!!!! If I had not been through this experience myself, I would never have believed it! See for yourselves:

Receipt:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2574496540021435046RQWiSY

Radio:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2734569450021435046CZxUcI

G5 Box-G3 Radio:
http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2386475220021435046qHvTMz

Manny

Last edited:

DPD1

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it or anything. You can do the blown preamp check by rolling the dial from 3000 to 3001... You should then hear a difference in volume between the two. Assuming it works like the G5, which I think it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.