Grundig S350 No Power Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatHunter

Made a monthly visit to Goodwill this week to drop some donations off. Had a look inside the store at the electronics section. I spotted a nice shiny Grundig S350 for 20 bucks with the power adapter. Inside were 4 D batteries. The adapter had a crack in the case and it looked like someone tried to glue it. It would not power up by battery or cord. So I bought it and left the adapter behind. When I got home I tested the batteries and they were dead. I had no D cells at home. I have no desire to power it with D cells. I found a 6V 300mA DC adapter in the junk drawer. I had to cut the cord and reverse the polarity to match the specs of the radio. Plugged it in. No power. Big disappointment - first shortwave radio I ever found at a Goodwill. I know there are a lot of these radios around and they have a bad reputation. Outside of buying a pack of D batteries does anyone have an idea of anything else I could try? If it doesn't work I do have the option to return it. I really don't own any test equipment. Is it worth the hassle or should I junk it?

SatHunter

I was just wondering if a AA battery pack could be wired in place instead of using D cells to test the radio? I know in the higher end version of the 350 the radio has a battery compartment that accommodates either AA or D batteries.

Boombox

Six volts is six volts. The radio won't care about the size of the batteries. I used to power my 6 volt SW portables with a C-cell pack to get more life from the batteries, because I didn't like using my wall wart with them. It worked fine.

SatHunter

Six volts is six volts. The radio won't care about the size of the batteries. I used to power my 6 volt SW portables with a C-cell pack to get more life from the batteries, because I didn't like using my wall wart with them. It worked fine.
Thanks for the reply! After reading this is see that they sell adapters that allow AA batteries works as D's. Cool idea - I have more ancient radios that use C and D batteries that I can blow the dust off of and put back into service

Status
Not open for further replies.