Grundig Satellit 700 will not switch off 100%..

Oivindx

Hi from Norway,

Thanks for letting me join your group.
I use my Grundig Satellit 700 for FM-DX-ing. I recently got another Satellit 700 which works as normal, except that noise is heard after I switch it off. The strength of the noise can be regulated with the volume control. If I insert batteries or external power, it makes noise until I switch on the radio.

May seem as if the amplifier part has "hung up". I can add that the radio has probably been unused for some time before I took it over, the telescopic antenna was slow to get up and needed lubrication with WD40. Do you have any tips on how to get rid of the "noise"?

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
how does a radio make noise, "what kind of noise does it make, since you didnt say", without power being attached to it.

the radio is all electronics and needs power of some kind to work!

Oivindx

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to upload a video file, but it is too large for this forum.

To rephrase the problem: When DC-power is connected, the radio gives noise (like tuning to a vacant FM-frequency). When I press the "on" switch, radio signals are well heard. When I press the "on/off" switch again to turn radio off, it will not turn completely off (the same noise is heard) until DC power is removed. There could be something wrong in the switch itself or in the on/off circuit. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
A video can be seen here:

Dirk_SDR

I would check everything in the power supply chain, starting at the DC plug.
That means opening the radio and measuring many voltages (radio switched on and off) and comparing them with the service manual.
Maybe help is possible, if you begin ...

Boombox

Sounds like the firmware (or an internal switch) that runs the radio is not turning the AF chip off. In other words, the AF chip is still "on" when the rest of the radio is "off".

How this could happen, I have no idea.

Oivindx

I would check everything in the power supply chain, starting at the DC plug.
That means opening the radio and measuring many voltages (radio switched on and off) and comparing them with the service manual.
Maybe help is possible, if you begin ...
Thanks for your reply. Systematic approach in fault finding is the way to proceed, as it seems that my problem is not a known problem with the Satellit 700. I am on travel now, but I will report back later.

Oivindx

Sounds like the firmware (or an internal switch) that runs the radio is not turning the AF chip off. In other words, the AF chip is still "on" when the rest of the radio is "off".

How this could happen, I have no idea.
Thanks for your reply. It seems that my problem is not a known problem with the Satellit 700. I need to use my voltmeter to identify the faulty component. I am on travel now, but I will report back later.

N0DBX

I have the same problem. Still chasing my tail. The RF is running and it seems to be scanning FM stations.

Any fix found anyone?

N0DBX

Turned out to be bad solder on the power supply/audio board specifically around CT902. Only took how many decades to show up!