Grundig Satellit 750 for under $240?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLou

I was looking for a new bedside tabletop radio, and noticed the Grundig Satellit 750 is now under $240. I almost bought one when it was $300, but was turned off by the mixed reviews. Amazon now has it for $237 shipped which seems like a good deal. Has there been any improvements/fixes in the latest production run? It seems most of the issues were when the radio first came out a few years ago. I currently keep my Tecsun PL660 at my bedside,(which is IMO one the best receivers I have), but I'm looking for a new toy, and something a little bigger.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Moved to our equipment forum...

I usually watch the various mailing lists and haven't seen any announced improvements or fixes in the 750.

Unfortunately good HF tabletops have been out of production for quite a while, with the exception of the Icom R75 and Alinco R8T. At that price range you're looking at some used gear, and while we have lots in our wiki to help you sort it out, the hamfest season is winding down quickly...

There are a couple of possibilities here. One is to go with the 21st century and get into Software Defined Radio. The AFEDRI unit sells for right around USD300, and you can read the reviews for yourself. The other is to get a used ham transceiver - the more modern ones have general coverage receivers built in that usually work very well.

Here are a couple of links from our wiki (anything that's blue is a link) to help you get started...

Category:Receiver Reviews - The RadioReference Wiki

Software Defined Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

and SDRs are discussed in this forum...

Software Defined Radio - The RadioReference.com Forums

Mike

JustLou

Thanks for moving it and the info....

I have a couple of really good HF radios in my shack, but they are in a spare bedroom on the other side of the house. I could bring one into the bedroom and put up a wire just for listening, but I thought getting a fairly cheap tabletop radio was a better option than moving my HF gear back and forth. I don't really need top of the line performance since it's main use would be just for something to listen to until I fall asleep. Before I got married and bought a new house, I did have an R75 in my bedroom. It was a great radio, but I sold it a few years ago to buy some ham gear.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If it were me, I'd be on the hunt for an older Kenwood R-5000, R-2000 or R-1000. All are pretty basic radios, but perform quite well. In fact, the R-1000 is well known to have a real hot front end - even a small antenna would work pretty well. My only concern is that you might need to put a BCB filter on these - with the density of MW stations in the NYC/NJ area, you might run into overload issues. However if you're further away from those areas, it might be less of a concern.

I haven't checked the prices on these radios lately, but there's a decent starting point...I see a R-2000 on the Universal Radio used list. While their price is a tad high, they do take the time to basically check the radio out before it goes out the door...Mike

JustLou

I do live in the near a lot of MW stations, but surprisingly I don't have a lot of trouble with them even on my cheapest radios or radios with a hot front end. I guess I'll keep my options open and see what's out there on the used market. It's not like I actually "need" another radio. ;)

JustLou

Amazon is mocking me now. They dropped the price of the 750 another $2 to $235 shipped. They're daring me to buy it now. :p

nanZor

I bought full price, but the dynamic range on ssb turned into a love/hate relationship for me, even though I know how to properly use the rf-gain and attenuators. :) While I wasn't expecting total performance, it was just on the knife-edge for me. For others, they didn't seem to mind.

I know that doesn't help much unfortunately.

nanZor

Have you seen the review here in RR? I actually liked it, even had two of them, but had to make a simple modification to tame them. Like many, that MT review points to an AGC/ALC issue, which is what it seems like at first glance. However, at least in my late model units, it turns out to be the IF section was just too hot and a swamping resistor brought things under control.

JustLou

Have you seen the review here in RR? I actually liked it, even had two of them, but had to make a simple modification to tame them. Like many, that MT review points to an AGC/ALC issue, which is what it seems like at first glance. However, at least in my late model units, it turns out to be the IF section was just too hot and a swamping resistor brought things under control.

I assume you're referring to your review/thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...44-grundig-satellit-750-desktop-portable.html

Yes, I've seen it. It's one of the best resources on the 750 I've seen. I'm still on the fence. I may tell my wife to buy it for me for Christmas, but more than likely I'll wind up buying it or something else beforehand. ;)

SpectreOZ

I pondered a 750 for ages but eventually decided on a used unit instead, mind you that VHF airband would be a nice extra feature on a desktop receiver :D

JustLou

Every time I talk myself out of buying the 750 for $235, I see people on eBay still paying up to $250 for used a Radio Shack DX-394. Then I think the 750 must be a a steal at $235 new. ;)

(I actually like the DX-394. It's a fun little radio, especially if you like to mess around with mods. IMO it isn't worth 1/2 of what they sometimes sell for on eBay though.)

JustLou

I suffered a personal loss today and when I get depressed I usually buy myself something. Today was no different. I ordered the 750. I'll post my opinions on it after I get a chance to play with it.

JustLou

I received the 750 and I'm very happy with it. No problems with performance or build quality. It's pretty deaf on the HF bands with the telescopic antenna, but not surprising. I hooked up a wire antenna, and it works great. SSB is better than expected. I would prefer a tighter narrow filter, but the stock narrow filter is"OK".
I was doing some MW DXing last night and was listening to some different stations from coast to coast. Pretty impressed even though conditions were very good.

nanZor

Sorry to hear about your loss - and I think we've all purchased stuff during those times, so don't feel bad.

See, I think you'll find that the 750 is a *fun* rig if nothing else. For portability with nothing more than the built-in whip on HF, adding almost any amount of radial wire on one of the antenna ground connectors helps greatly. Since it just sips power, running from batteries only is a real viable option if you use rechargeables.

JustLou

Sorry to hear about your loss - and I think we've all purchased stuff during those times, so don't feel bad.

See, I think you'll find that the 750 is a *fun* rig if nothing else. For portability with nothing more than the built-in whip on HF, adding almost any amount of radial wire on one of the antenna ground connectors helps greatly. Since it just sips power, running from batteries only is a real viable option if you use rechargeables.

Thanks for the thoughts...
I don't think I'll ever use it as a portable due to it's size, battery requirements, and poor performance with the telescopic antenna. I have my Tecsun PL660 among other smaller portables. But as a bedside radio, it is just what I was looking for. It works better than I anticipated with just a random length of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.